Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Oooo, no. If you start taking out the bats where does it end. Humans have managed to wipe out many of the species at an alarming rate. Back in the day, they took out the wolf, the grizzly bear and black bear and buffalo/bison . It's been a slow process to bring them back.

Find your balance. It's all about balance. Humans and wild critters. Everyone of them has a purpose and value. Blue whale, elephant, gorilla, rhino and bees. Panda, sea turtle....the list goes on forever.

All of these beautiful animals are a great loss to our planet, undoubtedly.

I would not miss rats, bats, mosquitoes or rattlesnakes, and possibly water moccasins myself. Nor would I miss Ebola or any of the Sars viruses.

I like bobcats, lynx and wolves. But I feel sad when little goat kids and lambs get maimed by them. They cry so hard and it sounds almost human. I dn't like it when a chicken coop gets attacked by badgers either. So sad.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It looks like Major League Baseball might be close to done. The Marlins are still down 18 or 19 players who tested positive and now the St Louis Cardinals have a big outbreak.

So much of the talk to get sports back playing was that young healthy multi millionaires wouldn't be taking on that much risk. But several of these positive tests are "staff" so like coaches, locker room attendants. These people could be older, might not be in athletic shape, and most aren't making millions. And there is a 27 yr old Red Sox pitcher who is out for at least this season with heart inflammation post-covid , which they "assume" will clear up.

Luckily neither the NBA or the NHL has had any positive cases of a person after they are in the bubble yet. The whole bubble thing might actually work for these one or two month tournaments. I doubt you could actually expect all those people to stay put through months of an entire season though.

I think that all sports leagues are keeping a very close eye on MLB to see what happens when there's no "bubble".

The NFL will be next up in this experiment.

Both the NBA and NHL are talking about starting next season sometime in December...in their home arenas, probably no fans at least at the start.

But all those plans could change if baseball shuts down.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    ElioraFR wrote: »
    Yes, I did read that information. Did you know that there are rat farms in Vietnam? That the demands of the cuisine in China and elsewhere mean that there are bat and rat farms in asia? What do you think about the fact that there are many Sars type viruses that live in bats and they are sold in open markets in Asia every day?

I'm not here to demand anything or condemn anyone, just would like to know if your philosophy for animal species extends to the extreme circumstances of asia and its effect on the coming possiblilty of mor Pandemic virus infection?

I admit that I have a small amount of both kangaroo and python meat that I am saving for a special occasion.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    ElioraFR wrote: »
    Yes, I did read that information. Did you know that there are rat farms in Vietnam? That the demands of the cuisine in China and elsewhere mean that there are bat and rat farms in asia? What do you think about the fact that there are many Sars type viruses that live in bats and they are sold in open markets in Asia every day?

I'm not here to demand anything or condemn anyone, just would like to know if your philosophy for animal species extends to the extreme circumstances of asia and its effect on the coming possiblilty of mor Pandemic virus infection?

So, in the beginning of Covid-19 a lot of info came into the news about it originating from eating bats. Then many news articles pooh-poohed that idea. With all the unknowns about this virus I just assumed nobody really know how it all started or what truths to listen to. Are you telling me(maybe I missed it somewhere?) that it did indeed originate from wet markets?
    Doesn't every country have intelligent doctors telling people not to eat this or that? It's probably a very bad idea? They pull things from being sold when something is known to be uhhh....deadly?
    I know I'm very naive but sometimes I gotta wonder how/why the world works the way it does.