Determined for a healthy lifestyle

I’m so determined this time for a healthy diet and regular exercise. I’ve failed so many times before but need this for my physical and mental health. Worried I will fail again this time

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Baby steps and find your "why."
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Kudos to you. Remember, it's a journey for the long haul. I'm glad to see that you are thinking in terms of healthy diet. Not to diminish the value and importance of weight loss, but eating healthy is probably more beneficial in the big picture. Take it slow, introduce 1 new food a week, if you don't prepare your own food, start to get comfortable in the kitchen. Cooking should not be intimidating and there is a world of wonderful flavors and foods out there. Good luck!
  • i_fraser11
    i_fraser11 Posts: 35 Member
    You need to find positivity and good habits. I suggest following jame clear and reading his amazing book, Atomic Habits.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I’m so determined this time for a healthy diet and regular exercise. I’ve failed so many times before but need this for my physical and mental health. Worried I will fail again this time

After 40 years of failure I actually gave up dieting to lose weight in 2014 and that lead to a 50 pound weight loss in 2014-2015. I think the key this time is not dieting to lose weight but to decrease my level of body inflammation. Over the last couple years I have been eating for a more healthy gut microbiome that can be key to weight loss and maintaining since good health points back to our gut microbiome health being the best it can be. Since there is no magic bullet we each have to figure out what way of eating works out best for each of us.

Having cut out sweeteners and all forms of grains since OCT 2014 I have learned so much more. If most all disease starts in the gut and the gut microbiome is the source of 70-80% of our immune system with the event of COVID-19 I really want the best microbiome possible and a working to learn how to do that.

I wish I had not waited until I was 63 to find a way of eating that started reversing my health decline. The younger one starts thinking and acting for better health the better.

Keep in mind there is no magic involved and no one else can tell you the best way to eat but our bodies can tell us the best way to eat if we are listening to its voice. Best of success.
  • Carrierm82
    Carrierm82 Posts: 11 Member
    I’ve been there and I’m also trying to not fail. I’ve set up a daily habit and do my best to stick to it adding more exercises to try to keep up the fit part and that every once in a while we slip but salvage the day and do better tomorrow. Buying new clothes can be a great reward and helps you want to continue. Good luck and keep up the good work you know you can and you deserve it.
  • drtay1978
    drtay1978 Posts: 6 Member
    You’ve got this baby ❤️💪🏻
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    I find people often fall into that diet loop..

They do a diet, more often then not, a fad diet, they follow it faithfully for a while, praise it for how easy its been to stick to, talk about how well its worked.. then bam, they fall off the wagon.

Ask them what happened and they will offer excuses like.. i just love food too much, or I got really stressed and started eating again, or a holiday came and they couldn't stick to it.

Then they gain weight back and when they hit that point again to try again, they either embrace a new fad diet or return to the one they just did..

And repeat.

They often say THEY failed, however, its the diet that failed them because it isn't sustainable to do in the first place and often unnecessary.

Every time they fail they let it weigh on themselves, it removes their own confidence that they can lose weight and it is achievable if you do it in a way that works with your life.

So my suggestion is, think back to your previous choices for weight loss.

Were you too strict? Did you remove a lot of foods that you normally enjoy because you thought you couldn't have them? Were you following a lot of weird rules like not eating after 6? Were you not eating enough and always hungry? Did you find yourself feeling left out of social situations because of your diet choices?

These are things to think about and maybe work out for yourself, ask questions, get answers, the more you know, the easier it is to create a new lifestyle that works for you and is sustainable