What do you do to help you sleep at night when you have a lot on your mind?

jmakleanaddo
jmakleanaddo Posts: 101 Member
Lately I've had a hard time sleeping and have needed prescription medication to help me sleep. I don't want to rely on this anymore. I'm writing this post at 1:09am in the morning with a plan to wake up at 6:30 and go to the gym. This is an absolute cry for help. Help help help! :s

Replies

• naturalgirl84
    naturalgirl84 Posts: 2 Member
    Well I hope your sleep by now, but what normally works for me, is meditation - comfortable position, mindful breathing and Im out like a light... Good Luck
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    I have a "hypnosis" clip I listen to. You listen to it and visualise the journey. It helps to occupy your mind. I'm sure you can find loads on YouTube or similar.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Reading helps tire me out a lot at night. My eyes get really sleepy. Maybe some tea? But I also rely heavily on OTC sleep aids.

I hope you find some relief!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    What works for me:
    * Guided meditation podcasts (body scanning)
    * No caffeine after 2 pm
    * No food within 2-3 hours of my expected bedtime

The last one is a new habit that I'm trying to form but it seems to help.

I also took part in a sleep study at a local university where cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) was a big (and helpful) component. Perhaps ask your employer or campus if you have access to this with your healthcare insurance?

My sleep hygiene still isn't excellent but these have helped me. Hope you find what works for you...sleep is important 😴
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    I keep a pretty strict schedule, limit my caffeine and exercise A LOT. If I need a little more help, a couple extra strength melatonin put me down pretty quickly. I've done a couple sleep studies too; my insomnia was keeping me up for days at a time. I don't get a lot of REM or deep sleep. The routine has helped dramatically. The only reason I own a fitbit is keep track of my sleep patterns.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    i usually just take trazadone. but if i wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep anyhow, i think its best to just get up instead of laying there tossing and turning and hoping to get sleepy again. better to go driving around or read a book or something instead of letting your mind run wild at that point.
  • kindalikevelma
    kindalikevelma Posts: 1,337 Member
    iMago wrote: »
    i usually just take trazadone. but if i wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep anyhow, i think its best to just get up instead of laying there tossing and turning and hoping to get sleepy again. better to go driving around or read a book or something instead of letting your mind run wild at that point.

I wonder if dog trazadone works. asking for friend.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    iMago wrote: »

I wonder if dog trazadone works. asking for friend.

id imagine it works about as good the pet version of sildenafil citrate works for humans
  • hunnahs26
    hunnahs26 Posts: 288 Member
    Read a boring *kitten* book
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I use talk radio. Not music. I let the hum of sports talk ;) or AM channels that start out clear but eventually fade into a buzz put me to sleep. I woke up this morning listening to two high school football coaches talk about this season. One coach was sad that all of the seniors graduated and he was left with a smaller in stature team. The other coach said that wasn't a problem for him. He said it's all about the attitude that comes from the heart. <3 With more heart you get 'Attitude' and energy and a strong effort. I liked that.

Talk radio. Try it.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Reduce stress in your life if possible. I found that my insomnia was due to stressing about the day. Meditation!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Magnesium, melatonin and routine bedtime.
  • Tonyunion1
    Tonyunion1 Posts: 7 Member
    Lose weight hahahahaha
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Not to be indecent, but since nobody mentioned this... sex can really help. https://www.sleepscore.com/can-sex-help-you-sleep-better/#:~:text=Sex and Sleep
    ,to%20fall%20asleep%20more%20easily.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    So this might sound dorky, but I read my fanfiction. Every now and then, I will listen to music, but typically it's the reading which helps.
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Not to be indecent, but since nobody mentioned this... sex can really help. https://www.sleepscore.com/can-sex-help-you-sleep-better/#:~:text=Sex and Sleep
    ,to%20fall%20asleep%20more%20easily.

that explains why I get sleepy after taking the subway
  • jcrav77
    jcrav77 Posts: 584 Member
    I haven’t figured it out yet but I refuse to take medication. I guess I just don’t sleep
    At this point.