Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    @steveko89 amazing progress! You look awesome. I would continue to lean out a bit then bulk . Have you bulked before?

@quiksylver296 oh no feel better! *hugs*
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    @sardelsa, thanks! That is the plan. I've stayed right around 2000 cals each day since Saturday and already down to 171.0 this morning. Per Watts' suggestion of dropping 10 more lbs I've set my target average weight to 164. I've not seen <170 since 2015 and <165 since 2013. I've also never really bulked properly as this is the leanest I've ever been since I started lifting. For the first half of 2017 I was trying to cut but eating way too much taking my HR monitor workout calories as gospel. Per skulpt I ended January 2017 at 14.8% and 177.2 and got to 14% at 181.8 in mid July but was too fluffy for comfort there. That's when I first started using TDEE and dropped to 170 by the following January.

@quiksylver296, that really sucks, I hope you're able to bounce back soon. Hang in there!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    @sardelsa, thanks! That is the plan. I've stayed right around 2000 cals each day since Saturday and already down to 171.0 this morning. Per Watts' suggestion of dropping 10 more lbs I've set my target average weight to 164. I've not seen <170 since 2015 and <165 since 2013. I've also never really bulked properly as this is the leanest I've ever been since I started lifting. For the first half of 2017 I was trying to cut but eating way too much taking my HR monitor workout calories as gospel. Per skulpt I ended January 2017 at 14.8% and 177.2 and got to 14% at 181.8 in mid July but was too fluffy for comfort there. That's when I first started using TDEE and dropped to 170 by the following January.

@quiksylver296, that really sucks, I hope you're able to bounce back soon. Hang in there!

sounds like a plan, do you have any thoughts on the length of the bulk or are you going see how it goes ?
  • steveko89
    watts6151 wrote: »

sounds like a plan, do you have any thoughts on the length of the bulk or are you going see how it goes ?

When the time comes I was thinking I'd probably stick to a leaner bulk at ~1 lb/month. Granted, I've never properly bulked so I'm definitely open to suggestions.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2020
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am on vacation this week. So no dieting. Suspect I'll be up several lbs when i am done. But that is just how it always goes.

In typical fashion for me, I went all out on vacation, lol. Drinks and ice cream/custard every night. Was 167 when I left, came back to 174. But I had fun, so I call it a success. Back to hard core dieting. Dropped 2 lbs this morning. Hoping to get back down in the 160s by next week.

ETA: You all look amazing. Keep up the good work.
  • steveko89
    Weighed in at 170.8 this morning. Five days averaging right at a 500 cal deficit to TDEE. For those more experienced on cutting and carb-related changes, any guess to how much this initial dip is due to water weight as my average carbs have dropped from ~200 g/day to 135?
  • watts6151
    edited August 2020
    Weighed in at 170.8 this morning. Five days averaging right at a 500 cal deficit to TDEE. For those more experienced on cutting and carb-related changes, any guess to how much this initial dip is due to water weight as my average carbs have dropped from ~200 g/day to 135?

A very rough ball park 1300g of glycogen
    Would be my estimate

65g carbs x 3g of water x 5 days

Obviously lots of other variables
  • steveko89
    watts6151 wrote: »

A very rough ball park 1300g of glycogen
    Would be my estimate

65g carbs x 3g of water x 5 days

Obviously lots of other variables

Thanks! I don't know I've seen that 3:1 ratio cited before.
  • watts6151
    edited August 2020
    Think we have all noticed this

4tgao35ph3xh.jpeg
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Been "bulking" since September and I'm pretty much about as high as I'm willing to go at at this point...

Weight 169- 191#s
    Abdomen 9-10mm- 12-13mm
    Suprailiac 3-4mm- 4-5mm
    Waist 30.5"- 32"
    Shoulder Circ 49"-54" (widest part of my up or torso, probably cheating a bit around the lats and chest)

Definitely added some fat, but I think I've added more lean mass relatively... So theoretically, my bf% should be less now 🤷🏽‍♂️...

In the mirror I think I look a bit leaner as well but with the loose skin it's very difficult to see any changes and could be just wishful thinking and denial 😂😬...

Also note worthy is just the way I feel, I definitely notice that extra 1.5" around the waist and I hate it 😣

However the biggest barometer of progress for me at this point is how I'm looked at when I'm out of the house... And I feel like I'm definitely noticed more than I was at my lightest... I know shallow or whatever but whatever 😂...

Not bad for just a guy in his garage ✌🏼
  • steveko89
    Moving average down to 172.0 after a week averaging -500/day.

@quiksylver296, glad you're at least on your way to feeling better!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Been "bulking" since September and I'm pretty much about as high as I'm willing to go at at this point...

Weight 169- 191#s
    Abdomen 9-10mm- 12-13mm
    Suprailiac 3-4mm- 4-5mm
    Waist 30.5"- 32"
    Shoulder Circ 49"-54" (widest part of my up or torso, probably cheating a bit around the lats and chest)

Definitely added some fat, but I think I've added more lean mass relatively... So theoretically, my bf% should be less now 🤷🏽‍♂️...

In the mirror I think I look a bit leaner as well but with the loose skin it's very difficult to see any changes and could be just wishful thinking and denial 😂😬...

Also note worthy is just the way I feel, I definitely notice that extra 1.5" around the waist and I hate it 😣

However the biggest barometer of progress for me at this point is how I'm looked at when I'm out of the house... And I feel like I'm definitely noticed more than I was at my lightest... I know shallow or whatever but whatever 😂...

You've added what I took off. Interesting...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    KHMcG wrote: »

Weight 169- 191#s
    Abdomen 9-10mm- 12-13mm
    Suprailiac 3-4mm- 4-5mm
    Waist 30.5"- 32"

You've added what I took off. Interesting...

Yeah I actually haven't been this heavy since my initial weightloss...

Before "cutting" down to 169, I was about 187-189ish... But by comparison my suprailiac pinch was probably about 8mm, my abdomen was about 17-18mm and my waist was probably 33.5- 34"...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Weight 169- 191#s
    Abdomen 9-10mm- 12-13mm
    Suprailiac 3-4mm- 4-5mm
    Waist 30.5"- 32"

@Mr_Healthy_Habits
    So proud of you!! You definitely made gains. The little extra fluff will come off in no time :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    sardelsa wrote: »

Weight 169- 191#s
    Abdomen 9-10mm- 12-13mm
    Suprailiac 3-4mm- 4-5mm
    Waist 30.5"- 32"

@Mr_Healthy_Habits
    So proud of you!! You definitely made gains. The little extra fluff will come off in no time :)

Thanks Steph!
    I may try to come back down again in the future, can't say, only time will tell...

I may try recomp for a while... Never really done that 🤷🏽‍♂️