Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people keep defending sugar?

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited August 2020
    In a study they found that boiled potatoes were the most satiating food. I don't think it's the first that comes to mind when talking about satiating foods. Potatoes are almost all carbs.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324078
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Are instant mashed potatoes close to that?
    1 last flavored package and son didn't like the first one, I can finish it off on run day at least. Left over doesn't appear to work well with it.

This will be good test for me and high carb idea using potatoes.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    ROFL

351h5he8lfcz.png
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @magnusthenerd come to the rescue. I cannot quit laughing and it feels so good.
  • Mellouk89
    heybales wrote: »
    1 last flavored package and son didn't like the first one, I can finish it off on run day at least. Left over doesn't appear to work well with it.

I think yes :

“In the original satiety index study, boiled or baked potatoes had the highest score of 323.”

“They found potato-based meals were effective at reducing appetite, relative to the other side dishes.”
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    In a study they found that boiled potatoes were the most satiating food. I don't think it's the first that comes to mind when talking about satiating foods. Potatoes are almost all carbs.

Plain boiled potatoes can be highly filling for the calories. Potatoes have about 80 calories for a 100gram serving. Try a little experiment. Boil up 900 grams of potatoes and try to eat them plain. No salt, butter, nothing.... Tell me how many you can eat!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    ROFL

351h5he8lfcz.png

Those look like clean teeth - must not have been eating extra sugar!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    ROFL

351h5he8lfcz.png

Those look like clean teeth - must not have been eating extra sugar!

Practitioner of the Carnivore diet...
  • Mellouk89
    psychod787 wrote: »

Plain boiled potatoes can be highly filling for the calories. Potatoes have about 80 calories for a 100gram serving. Try a little experiment. Boil up 900 grams of potatoes and try to eat them plain. No salt, butter, nothing.... Tell me how many you can eat!

Also one of the food with the highest glycemic index and carb content, might want to say that to the low carbers.

And i'm not a good exemple I used to eat 700g of steamed potatoes with chicken.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member

I find baked potatoes plenty filling. I even splurge on a little butter and salt. Same with roasted potatoes. I don't usually boil 'em.

But....

A 150 gram has 26 grams of carbohydrate. Please explain how this is "almost all carbs." Yeah, I know; it's also made out of water. There's fiber in there and protein too.

For self-support multi-day kayak trips where I have to carry EVERYTHING in a whitewater boat for eight days, I would have some meals that were a package of those nasty instant mashed potatoes and a packet of fish. Worked for me. A better option is to make home-cooked meals twice as big as normal and dehydrate half. Weigh it before and after dehydrating to know how much water to add back. I digress. That's not necessarily potatoes, but it COULD be.
  • Mellouk89
    edited August 2020
    If we're talking about dry weight potatoes are 80-90% carbs.

And that's assuming you eat the skin, most people don't
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I find baked potatoes plenty filling. I even splurge on a little butter and salt. Same with roasted potatoes. I don't usually boil 'em.

But....

A 150 gram has 26 grams of carbohydrate. Please explain how this is "almost all carbs." Yeah, I know; it's also made out of water. There's fiber in there and protein too.

100 g is 58 cals, of which about 48 are carbs and 10 are protein. That's about 83% of cals from carbs, so "almost all" seems not unfair, although I'd say "most."

2.5 g fiber, so, yeah, some.

I'm pro potato and find them satiating, even roasted with a bit of olive oil.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited August 2020

Carbs are the most filling macro for me, as long as they have at least a bit of fiber. It's fatty foods like cheese, nuts, chicken thighs, that I can easily overeat and still want more.

I understand not everyone would agree, but the low carb mantra that "everyone" eats less on low carb because fat is filling is a myth. "Some" people eat less on low carb and find fat filling. Maybe most do, I have no idea :smile:

I don't find sweet convenience foods filling, but I also rarely feel like overeating them.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    In a study they found that boiled potatoes were the most satiating food. I don't thldink it's the first that comes to mind when talking about satiating foods. Potatoes are almost all carbs.

But....

100 g is 58 cals, of which about 48 are carbs and 10 are protein. That's about 83% of cals from carbs, so "almost all" seems not unfair, although I'd say "most."

2.5 g fiber, so, yeah, some.

I'm pro potato and find them satiating, even roasted with a bit of olive oil.

Most, yes, on a calorie basis. I can go there. Almost all, I guess I can't quite go there.

I also would suggest that they are slow digesting carbs. An apple has a similar carb profile, but isn't as sating, at least to me, and the carbs are quicker digesting. I like apples, too, but it would be harder to make a meal of them than of potatoes. And I'd be hungry sooner.

I also use added sugars for some things, so I'm not a demonizer. I generally don't like sweets as much as savory things, but my grapes are just getting ripe, and they are sweet and delicious.

Interesting dialogue!
  • thakurhimanshi815
    thakurhimanshi815 Posts: 10 Member
    if we do not eat enough sugar or sugar-polymers, or our bodies do not produce enough sugar, we die
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    if we do not eat enough sugar or sugar-polymers, or our bodies do not produce enough sugar, we die

For most of us, this doesn't require eating sugar. As you point out, our bodies will produce it for us. This is why carbohydrates are not considered an essential macronutrient.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

For most of us, this doesn't require eating sugar. As you point out, our bodies will produce it for us. This is why carbohydrates are not considered an essential macronutrient.

I agree, not essential to survive. I would argue they are essential to thrive...

I think it would be very difficult to construct a healthful diet while eliminating carbohydrates, if not impossible. I am not advocating that people try to do this. But it isn't accurate to argue that we'll die if we don't eat enough sugar (I know you're not arguing this, another post did).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited August 2020
    J72FIT wrote: »

I agree, not essential to survive. I would argue they are essential to thrive...

I think it would be very difficult to construct a healthful diet while eliminating carbohydrates, if not impossible. I am not advocating that people try to do this. But it isn't accurate to argue that we'll die if we don't eat enough sugar (I know you're not arguing this, another post did).

100%
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

It is possible the point of it was that while intake of sugar is nonessential, from a biochemistry standpoint, sugar is essential to human life. That's fair for defending sugar of all kinds.
    I do think there are people that think sugar is indefensible and hold rather stringent clean eating views that don't really understand or at least think about that deeper level of the chemistry. Pressed on a point like this, some of them will claim there is something different about the same chemical when it is refined versus when it is in vegetables or when it is produced in the body by gluconeogensis from protein.