Do you all count veggies?

2»

Replies

• Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    @orphia I don’t count potatoes as a veggie but as a starch and would count it as a carb. I’m taking spinach, collards, kale, broccoli etc.

Do you count avocado and pumpkin?

Aren’t avocado and pumpkin fruits not veggies?

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    I count veggies - but often loosely - each carrot is 1 carrot, I dont weight them all (same goes for fruits like mandarines too)
    (higher calories ones like potatoes I do)

and I dont bother with things like one slice of lettuce or tomato in a sandwich
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I usually eat at least a few hundred calories of vegetables per day. If I didn't count them, my weight management would be a mess because I'd be way underestimating what I was eating.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    yes, i log vegetables including broccoli, cabbage and green beans.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Yes, and no. I can easily eat 300kcal of veggies in a day - if I didn't count them, I would be over my goal and not achieving what I want to achieve. However... I don't necessarily count every single gram - if I know my sandwich usually has 3 pieces of lettuce, i'll use a regular count - e.g. every sandwich has just 10g of lettuce accounted for, even though it might be 6g one day and 14g the next. The calorie value is just too low to worry about too much.
    I have some veggie-heavy recipes that, for example, use one carrot, three zucchini - I don't modify the weights inside the recipe as the value is negligible across the whole dish.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I count them, but rarely weigh them properly. I guesstimate, use things like "half a package" and copy the previous entry of the same veggie regardless of how much I actually ate it. I pay more attention to avocado, since it's pretty high calorie.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I didn't count nonstarchy veggies on the reducing part of my plan (although I did exclude things like tomatoes and carrots), but I do now on maintenance. On the other hand, I stayed under 1100 calories that whole time to allow a little leeway. Now I'm more serious about monitoring my TDEE.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    If it goes in my mouth then I count it because even if I don't count it my body will

Nah my body won't do any significant counting of the calories in one slice of lettuce or tomato.

And law of averages counting works fine for my body too.