For the love of Produce...

Replies

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Fennel bulb was a bust :/ I like trying new fruit and veg, but this is a flavor that I cannot stand.
    Currently lingering in my fridge before I face reality and chuck it :'( Any advice on using it without tasting the licorice flavor?
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member
    Fennel bulb was a bust :/ I like trying new fruit and veg, but this is a flavor that I cannot stand.
    Currently lingering in my fridge before I face reality and chuck it :'( Any advice on using it without tasting the licorice flavor?

Did you only eat it raw? Slice it up with some apples and onions and put them over a pork roast before it goes in the oven. If you don't eat meat, you could roast them alone. It's a good flavor combination and not licoricy.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    cblairnh wrote: »

Did you only eat it raw? Slice it up with some apples and onions and put them over a pork roast before it goes in the oven. If you don't eat meat, you could roast them alone. It's a good flavor combination and not licoricy.

Yup, tried a sliver of it raw and ...NOPE!
    Was going to try it in salad. Might take your advice and roast it before throwing out. Scared to ruin a roast so I'll do it in a sheet pan with onion and a drizzle of o.o. How long/hot would you say? @cblairnh
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member

Was going to try it in salad. Might take your advice and roast it before throwing out. Scared to ruin a roast so I'll do it in a sheet pan with onion and a drizzle of o.o. How long/hot would you say? @cblairnh

Fennel is DELICIOUS if you slice it up and throw it in the air fryer for 10 minutes and toss it onto a salad. The whole thing is edible but the tastiest in a salad is the bulb to me.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    A combination of spiralized carrot and granny smith is a good substitute for shredded green mango called for in Som Tam.
    Any recipe you suggest? In general I appreciate your flavor profiles and this looks amazeballs.
    My go to templates for SE Asian salads are these
    https://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-grilled-eggplant-ca-tim-nuong-mo-hanh/
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut

The first includes a little shallot infused oil in the dressing. It is my template for making dressings. The second one is my template for toppings. It has no oil in the dressing but uses oil to deep fry shallots. No need to do this as you can buy the fried shallots in an Asian supermarket, or just substitute the ready made deep fried onions that Americans use for Thanksgiving green bean casserole. Ditto don't bother frying peanuts yourself and buy roasted peanuts. Toasting shredded coconut is worth the effort.

So the first is actually a roast aubergine salad and the second a pomelo salad. Som tam would typically be unripe papaya or mango. Spiralized sweet veg such as carrot combined with spiralized sour apples gives a similar flavour profile. The other ingredients for som tam (other than dressing and garnishes) are cherry tomatoes, green beans and little pickled river crabs (if you are in Thailand).
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

@Mithridites - hey! I use fennel in soup. Mostly Ikarian stew... it’s tastes more mild to me that way. Let me know if you want the recipe! :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I love fennel, but it's definitely less licorice-y if you roast it or sautee it. I only use it raw in an occasional salad or smoothie (I love it in smoothies).
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member

I would cook it at 350F and check it at 20-30 minutes so the onion doesn't start burning. If you put it in with the roast, though, it doesn't really affect the roast's flavor -- it's more that the vegetables absorb the roast juices.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Mainstream-items-only farmers market haul today: Elephant garlic, Bintje potatoes**, muskmelon/cantaloupe, assorted summer squash, lemon cucumbers, green bell pepper, assorted cherry tomatoes, assorted salad tomatoes, and a dozen of "chicken produce" 😉.

** I hardly ever eat potatoes, not out of philosophy, but just taste-preference within calorie budget. But there's been too much talk of potatoes on random threads here, so when I saw a stand with several varieties to choose from, I couldn't resist. Potato salad sounds good in summer, besides, and I have some fresh dill weed needing to be thinned that would be tasty in there with maybe some yogurt, sweet onions, feta . . . .
    m4uqhnnhccd2.jpg

This looks amazing, great haul!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I dehydrated a bucketful of our cherry tomatoes yesterday. Can't keep up with the wing beans.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Did anyone tried to freeze apples? I have some sliced apples, and i froze a little just to see. I like them as a frozen treat, same like other frozen fruit for sweet cravings. Instead of ice cream or sherbet, i guess.

I haven't froze apples but I have eaten frozen grapes which are DELICIOUS frozen. Takes longer to eat too. I am on an apple kick right now, so I'll try them frozen. Great idea!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    Getting to be prime fruit season here in Michigan - yay! It may even be a little earlier than usual - not sure - because we've had so much heat (don't laugh, people who live in warm places!). Some of these things do love heat.

Last week's muskmelon/canteloupe was so good I needed another one. Also got more tomatoes, cucumbers; and some watermelon, peaches.
    fmlzf0rvvi4t.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member
    A simple dish of steamed zucchini drizzled with soy sauce and olive oil, sliced garden ripe tomatoes, and some red quinoa.

dy4domg743wt.jpg
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    With all those tomatoes from neighbors, with all the cucumbers from my garden, and with shishito peppers and basil left from a previous garden gift, how could I not make more gazpacho. I have enough vegetables to make another batch in a day or two after I demolish this batch.

I added more jalapeno than last time. Good call. I also left the leaves on the stick of celery I cut out of the garden; why not? Between the basil and the celery leaves, the color was a little different. And it's delicious.

ea9s352psovl.jpg

Recipes say to peel (and seed) the tomatoes and cucumbers or to put the finished product through a food mill. Er.... Jay told me, "Life's too short to peel tomatoes." It's not that hard, but why? My blender works fine, I think the extra fiber has to be a bonus, and I don't mind the slight texture. It's kind of like a tomato smoothie.

Hey - maybe tomorrow I should add a little yogurt....

I love chilled soups, yum! I vote Yes to a swirl of yogurt- especially if to complement spicy.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    zxuzarsgnbya.jpeg

My little brother is dog sitting and sent me the cutest text asking if he could eat my giant watermelon.
    My pandemic garden results have been mostly misses.. but he reports it is good!
    So happy. That would have been a huge amount of suck.