60 yrs and up

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    KeriA wrote: »
    I last posted here in mid-July. Much has happened. I was on temp. furlough then from my job. They started opening up but needed to have a 15% reduction in force. I was one of those laid off. I found out right before we went on a carefully planned small trip to the beach. We rented a condo through a service that does extra cleaning and contactless check in. We brought all our own food. It was a good break and good way to start transitioning from my situation. I got some long walks on the beach in. Last week I went in and got my stuff from my office. This week I contacted those to update my references and applied to a job. I found out I do not need to make 3 job contacts until September so I will only apply to jobs that really fit. What I wanted to focus on now was losing weight and de-cluttering my house. There are a few jobs right now to apply to but after that there may not be as many. So maybe I focus on job search in the next week and get back to my focus afterwards. My husband is working from home and we have been doing fine up till now.

Any way I looked and I have lost 3.4 lbs since I last posted. Since I was having trouble with my smartwatch irritating my skin I got a Fitbit Zip that counts steps, distance and calories only. I will miss the heart rate and stairs options but don’t really need the sleep tracking anyway. I am just trying to get a base line of my steps this week and will go from there to up them each week. I have been getting exercise 5 days a week of which 2 includes strength training.

@Tombelan127 Australian Terriers sound like a nice breed. Enjoy walking your new dog.
    @PackerFaninGB as you can see above we are in a similar situation having been laid off due to COVID related reduction of force. I loved my job and hoped it would take me to retirement. I am full retirement age in terms of Social Security but since I took time off to be home with my children when they were younger and got hit with the last economic downturn it isn’t really enough. We were using my income to get ready for retirement by fixing our house etc.

As to making meals easy I have actually been getting into meal planning in order to limit the amount of shopping we do. I have been cooking more since I am home. I have enjoyed it but I may make it more formulaic in future so I can concentrate on job search, decluttering my house and losing weight.

I did see that! I'm sorry that you also fell into the same mess! It's really disheartening to have done a job for 30 years because you loved it, only to be let go a few years prior to retirement. It's been a big change and I'm trying to adjust but it's amazing how many things in your life are tied to your job that you don't even realize! I'm really hoping to be able to retire now and just work on taking back my health and enjoying life!

My husband has been doing the grocery shopping for years, since he retired 4 years ago (older than I am). But now that I'm home, I think I will try meal planning, making a list and doing the shopping and cooking. I think that will help lower the amount of the carbs in our meals, since I love them so much...
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    tnh2o wrote: »
    Lucky me. I hated my job. After I retired I discovered there was a happy person under that cranky exterior.

This made me laugh! I avoided my husband all day today because I was so crabby! You give me hope that there's a happy person under my crabby exterior too! haha! :naughty:
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I usually eat the same things but vary on dinner because my husband likes variety..sometimes I'll eat from my usual list & just make him something else. I cook a lot more different things during the cooler weather. This heat just makes me cook whatever is easiest with the least amount of effort but with my instant pot I do manage to cook some great meals sometime. Fortunately husband likes using it too so he cooks dinner sometimes. We usually eat our own thing for breakfast/lunch.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    tnh2o wrote: »
    Lucky me. I hated my job. After I retired I discovered there was a happy person under that cranky exterior.

This made me laugh! I avoided my husband all day today because I was so crabby! You give me hope that there's a happy person under my crabby exterior too! haha! :naughty:

I do that too avoid
  • veggiepat
    veggiepat Posts: 127 Member
    Hi! I'm Patti from Ohio and am 62 and just started a week ago. Thank you all for your inspiration! I love to cheer people on and motivate. Feel free to add me as a friend. We can do it!
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hello all, finally checking in. It's so nice to read longtime posts and meet new thread members and have your tips and thoughts to help guide me thru these isolated times. I'm still staying in, walking daily and tracking all food. Once a week I safely make a trip to the outside farmers market and have a nice supply of fresh veggies and summer fruit. Groceries are still either delivered or ordered online with curbside pick-up. Weight is coming off slowly and I'm still able to stay patient with myself and the lack of contact with friends and family. Been very hot and humid this summer. Wish I could get away, have lunch with a friend, hug my kids and grands.
    Hang in there.
    Friend hugs,
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    j29t wrote: »
    Hello all, finally checking in. It's so nice to read longtime posts and meet new thread members and have your tips and thoughts to help guide me thru these isolated times. I'm still staying in, walking daily and tracking all food. Once a week I safely make a trip to the outside farmers market and have a nice supply of fresh veggies and summer fruit. Groceries are still either delivered or ordered online with curbside pick-up. Weight is coming off slowly and I'm still able to stay patient with myself and the lack of contact with friends and family. Been very hot and humid this summer. Wish I could get away, have lunch with a friend, hug my kids and grands.
    Hang in there.
    Friend hugs,

Yep, said very well, kinda the same here. No need to engage in high risk activities. So we don’t. Happy Monday! 😎😎😎

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :) staying home , staying safe, staying active

<3 Barbie
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) staying home , staying safe, staying active

<3 Barbie

Agree
  • annliz23
    Hi all, hope everyone is doing well.
    I found this video, resistance bands for beginners. My plan to just add 1 routine a month to get it down, before moving to the next one. If anyone is interested, here's the link: https://www.google.com/search?q=resistance+bands+exercises+for+beginners+youtube&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l8.508090902j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_vuYxX46hB5L-tAW6q5yQBw30

Thanks I'll give it a go!
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2020
    It seems a bit harder to lose weight when we are more mature but, like everything else, it just takes persistence.
  • annliz23
    Maesneuadd wrote: »
    It seems a bit harder to lose weight when we are more mature but, like everything else, it just takes persistence.

I totally agree!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Greetings to all the new participants in this thread. I have found this website frustrating at times, but the friendly support and positive encouragement keeps me coming back.

Add me as a friend if you like. I check in here most days.
  • veggiepat
    veggiepat Posts: 127 Member
    @teresadannar Thank you so much Teresa! Really appreciate it and will check the site about the bands. Love it!