Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Been "bulking" since September and I'm pretty much about as high as I'm willing to go at at this point...

Weight 169- 191#s
    Abdomen 9-10mm- 12-13mm
    Suprailiac 3-4mm- 4-5mm
    Waist 30.5"- 32"
    Shoulder Circ 49"-54" (widest part of my up or torso, probably cheating a bit around the lats and chest)

Definitely added some fat, but I think I've added more lean mass relatively... So theoretically, my bf% should be less now 🤷🏽‍♂️...

In the mirror I think I look a bit leaner as well but with the loose skin it's very difficult to see any changes and could be just wishful thinking and denial 😂😬...

Also note worthy is just the way I feel, I definitely notice that extra 1.5" around the waist and I hate it 😣

However the biggest barometer of progress for me at this point is how I'm looked at when I'm out of the house... And I feel like I'm definitely noticed more than I was at my lightest... I know shallow or whatever but whatever 😂...

Not bad for just a guy in his garage ✌🏼
    @Mr_Healthy_Habits
    So proud of you!! You definitely made gains. The little extra fluff will come off in no time :)

Thanks Steph!
    I may try to come back down again in the future, can't say, only time will tell...

I may try recomp for a while... Never really done that 🤷🏽‍♂️

Give it a go. That's what I did after my first bulk. I recomped for about 3 months (I know not very long) actually made great progress, then I cut like 3lbs and was really happy.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Been "bulking" since September and I'm pretty much about as high as I'm willing to go at at this point...

Weight 169- 191#s
    Abdomen 9-10mm- 12-13mm
    Suprailiac 3-4mm- 4-5mm
    Waist 30.5"- 32"
    Shoulder Circ 49"-54" (widest part of my up or torso, probably cheating a bit around the lats and chest)

Definitely added some fat, but I think I've added more lean mass relatively... So theoretically, my bf% should be less now 🤷🏽‍♂️...

In the mirror I think I look a bit leaner as well but with the loose skin it's very difficult to see any changes and could be just wishful thinking and denial 😂😬...

Also note worthy is just the way I feel, I definitely notice that extra 1.5" around the waist and I hate it 😣

However the biggest barometer of progress for me at this point is how I'm looked at when I'm out of the house... And I feel like I'm definitely noticed more than I was at my lightest... I know shallow or whatever but whatever 😂...

Not bad for just a guy in his garage ✌🏼
    @Mr_Healthy_Habits
    So proud of you!! You definitely made gains. The little extra fluff will come off in no time :)

Thanks Steph!
    I may try to come back down again in the future, can't say, only time will tell...

I may try recomp for a while... Never really done that 🤷🏽‍♂️

Give it a go. That's what I did after my first bulk. I recomped for about 3 months (I know not very long) actually made great progress, then I cut like 3lbs and was really happy.

Yeah I really don't want to get any heavier, nor do I want to be much lighter... Maybe just a little less watery 😂...

On the weekends I eat about 3k and burn probably 2.5-2.8k... Workdays I eat about 2.4k and burn probably about 3k... More or less maintaining over the last month or so...

Great job yourself Btw 😏
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Also for anyone interested, check out this article and about halfway down there is a cool calculator that gives your theoretical genetic potential for weight and several other measurements for a chosen bf%... It was part of what inspired me to gain... 😂

https://legionathletics.com/ideal-male-body/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I ate 1500 cals a day for 2 weeks without much movement on the scale besides (presumably) water weight. My average for this week is 1680 after a few not-so-great days and I went down 1lb!

That happens to me a lot. My lowest weight ever was after a 450g carb refeed at 2800 calories where my normal calories are at 2000-2300, all while on CKD. Our bodies are crazy
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am on vacation this week. So no dieting. Suspect I'll be up several lbs when i am done. But that is just how it always goes.

In typical fashion for me, I went all out on vacation, lol. Drinks and ice cream/custard every night. Was 167 when I left, came back to 174. But I had fun, so I call it a success. Back to hard core dieting. Dropped 2 lbs this morning. Hoping to get back down in the 160s by next week.

ETA: You all look amazing. Keep up the good work.

Well i blew that goal away. Monday i was 174, today 167.7. i did go back on Keto though because my wife wants to move to doing Atkins. I am still at the high end of Keto because I want more fruit. Compliance was great this week. Most days at 2k, one day at 2300 and a margarita. Super happy with my week "1" result.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I've started magnesium supplements and increased my cals by 500 including protien by 20. I must recover my bad shoulder...
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I've started magnesium supplements and increased my cals by 500 including protien by 20. I must recover my bad shoulder...

I also take magnesium but honestly im not sure if it is helping or placebo! Thoughts?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member

Zma is one of my staple supplements
    Has been for years
  • psuLemon
    alexmose wrote: »

I also take magnesium but honestly im not sure if it is helping or placebo! Thoughts?

I generally only see magnesium helping those on keto with cramps. I haven't seen much with recovery. Eating at maintenance and having higher carbs tend to help.
  • watts6151

Do you get yearly blood work ?

Personally I get Mine done 1-2 per year.
    I then adjust diet, supplement and even training based off it

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    no I don't. but I'm due.
  • watts6151
    no I don't. but I'm due.

Literally ordered mine yesterday as there was a 25% sale
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    172.2 this morning (172.3 on trend). Although my rate is right at 1 lb/week for the month (since I switched more to full-on cutting mode following some of our discussion) the last 6 days have seen calories creep up compared with the first six when I was right at -500/day.
  • sardelsa
    Hope everyone is doing well. My cutting is going well, leaning out nicely right on schedule. :)

Is anyone else bulking in the fall? I think I am going to start my bulk in October if all goes well. A little later than I wanted but that's ok. Maybe I can start a new thread for that and we can talk about all things bulk :)
  • psuLemon
    My weight is currently all over. My low is 164.9, and my high was 170.6. Gonna see if it levels out but i am feeling more lean.

Not sure i will intentionally bulk but once i get lean enough i plan to evaluate where i am at.
  • sardelsa
    My weight is currently all over. My low is 164.9, and my high was 170.6. Gonna see if it levels out but i am feeling more lean.

Not sure i will intentionally bulk but once i get lean enough i plan to evaluate where i am at.

Come over to the dark side >:);)
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2020

Come over to the dark side >:);)

:lol:
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Hope everyone is doing well. My cutting is going well, leaning out nicely right on schedule. :)

Is anyone else bulking in the fall? I think I am going to start my bulk in October if all goes well. A little later than I wanted but that's ok. Maybe I can start a new thread for that and we can talk about all things bulk :)

I’d like to if I ever get lean enough. Trend line only down 0.2 for the week.

Skipped doing a skulpt scan as I played golf Thursday for the first time since last fall and have some soreness which I assume interferes with that data. I’ll plan on one for next weekend to get a good data point before I have to take a work trip 8/24-25. At least I get to go on the company plane for once.
  • watts6151
    penciled in Sunday 11th April 2021 to step on stage

current plan is to attempt very lean bulk until 23th of November
    4 week mini cut
    maintenance over the holiday period
    full contest prep starting 1st jan 2021

All this is based on how well i can manage a lean bulk over my busiest work period, my TDEE is all over the
    place from day to day
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Anyone else ever half-*kitten* a bulk b/c they like their abs? For example, some days I have bulking calories, other days I do maintenance calories.