NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    bump = Important at any time, but especially at the beginning of a month ...
  • BMcC9
    bump - If you have been working from home for a while now - what did you do to compensate for lost "trips to the photocopier on the far side of the floor" and other step-stretching NEATs-at-the-office strategies?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    bump - If you have been working from home for a while now - what did you do to compensate for lost "trips to the photocopier on the far side of the floor" and other step-stretching NEATs-at-the-office strategies?

I may have posted this before, but pacing and going up and down the stairs while on the phone. One conference call can be a lot of steps! (I'm now retired, but I still do this when talking on the phone.)
  • Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    Instead of trips to the water cooler, now that I WFH I make excuses to go outside. Has the mailman been by? Walk out to the box to check. Might take a few tries. My container plants get watered every day, sometimes twice. I didn't turn on the in-ground sprinkler system this year so I may have to go out a couple of times to move the rainbird on the lawn. Have to go out to the porch to pick up deliveries (thanks to Amazon Prime and grocery drop-off). We live in a three story house so I'll make excuses to go up and down the stairs. All this movement makes me want to move more.
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    A few things I'm doing lately to increase NEAT:
    • Shopping with a hand-basket instead of a cart whenever possible . . . sometimes when barely possible (milk and yogurt are heavy! ;) )
    • Doing routine chores as quickly and vigorously as possible, even using unnecessary extra movement ( ;) ) which makes more time for . . .
    • Catching up on procrastinated home repair and improvement projects.
    • Doing minor, often nearly-invisible exercises during wait times, such as standing
      (barely) on one foot while waiting in line, lat contractions against the steering wheel at stoplights, calf raises while chopping veggies, etc. (these burn tiny calories but help me with other objectives, too, like balance and lat recruitment).

Hi Ann
    What are lat contractions against the steering wheel? Please and thanks.
  • bacpath
    I have been trying to make daily habits a bit more inconvenient. Storing toothbrush and toothpaste in cabinet instead of on the sink, milk in back of fridge, tea bags in back of cupboard so I have to root around. Knife block further down the counter. It’s really counterintuitive and I suspect also exercises the brain!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    bacpath wrote: »
    A few things I'm doing lately to increase NEAT:
    • Shopping with a hand-basket instead of a cart whenever possible . . . sometimes when barely possible (milk and yogurt are heavy! ;) )
    • Doing routine chores as quickly and vigorously as possible, even using unnecessary extra movement ( ;) ) which makes more time for . . .
    • Catching up on procrastinated home repair and improvement projects.
    • Doing minor, often nearly-invisible exercises during wait times, such as standing
      (barely) on one foot while waiting in line, lat contractions against the steering wheel at stoplights, calf raises while chopping veggies, etc. (these burn tiny calories but help me with other objectives, too, like balance and lat recruitment).

Hi Ann
    What are lat contractions against the steering wheel? Please and thanks.

Sorry, there was supposed to be a lat image in there, but I copied the link incorrectly. This is it:

Latissimus_dorsi.PNG
  • BMcC9
    bump
  • AnnPT77
    MeganD1704 wrote: »
    *bump because during covid lockdown its nice to find easy ideas*

-stand at my stand up desk at work at least 50% of working hours
    -walk around while responding to phone calls
    -use the farthest away printer always
    -vaccum every day (to be fair I have a german sheppard x gold lab so its required haha)
    -heel raises when I am cooking (rocking back and fourth between standing flat and tippy toes).
    -Walking to work Mon/Wed on the days I work at the office close to home

Thanks for the bump (to all PP above)!

Yeah, the pandemic situation limits some of the options, but happily not all. One of my latest variation is doing side leg raises while pulsing my coffee grinder, one raise per pulse, 20 on one side, then 20 on the other (fine grind!). 😆 Good for balance, too, if the other hand is free.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited August 2020
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    How are folx increasing they're neat during coronavirus

I've been catching up on some long-neglected deep-cleaning and decluttering. I set the timer for 30 minutes, crank up the tunes, and go to town.

I'm also doing more complicated cooking, now that I no longer have a job that ends shortly before dinner time.

Normally, my OH does the post-dinner dishes, but I've been sending him out to walk the cat and I do them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    For me a lot of it comes down to living inconveniently and inefficiently. I put away the remotes for everything that has buttons. I avoid shopping online. I do not stock my pantry as much. When I cook I avoid doing a mise en place. I use much smaller cups. I use the garage refrigerator more. I avoid motorized tools when possible.

Surprisingly I do not see much of a time drain living this way. I just have a little less time being and doing sedentary things.

I think those are good points, and I'd agree that I don't seem much time penalty in the extra movement I try to do, either. It seems like some of the "convenience" things people do as time-savers don't really save much time, they're just lower effort so it feels like less time. I've started watching the drive-up line occasionally at a coffee shop I drop in to once in a while. Most of the time (not always), if it's even a remotely busy time, I'm running in and coming out with my coffee, and some of the same cars are still in the drive-up line. They're just sitting, listening to the radio (or whatever), using up some gasoline ( :lol: ), while I'm running in and ordering.

I'm surprised to read you say that mise en place takes you less movement. For me, I think it would be slightly more . . . maybe because I do all the dishes by hand? ;) (Not for calories, BTW: I don't have a dishwasher.) The storage areas in my kitchen are all short walk-routes, too, so mise en place wouldn't save much walking. Whatever works in one's own life is the good solution, though! :flowerforyou:

I try to go in everywhere too now. It has two benefits. It keeps me moving and when it is a situation that involves food from a fast food place it adds a layer to make sure I really want it and I am not just settling. I still eat fast food but since I was quick to settle in my gaining years I want to actively avoid doing it now. I have also noticed I get serviced faster at least some of the time.

I said that I avoid doing a mise en place. This creates more movement because I am consistently returning to a place where I have already gotten an ingredient. Sometimes that is a step or two sometimes it is a trip back to the pantry area. Every step adds to the collective.

I own a dishwasher but I have always preferred to do most of my dishes by hand. I have always felt the dishwasher was overkill for many dishes that require very little effort to clean. Also washing the dishes by hand keeps me efficient in usage which is one of the few areas I do not wish to increase my NEAT. I always re-use a dish if I can and most of the time it is possible with just a quick rinse.

I too have a dishwasher but seldom use it. I feel like it is a waste of water and energy, and would rather spend the energy myself.
  • BMcC9
    I have a 'cobbled from items around the house" stand-option for my work-at-home computer-work desk.
  • bacpath
    When watching Netflix etc at night I sit up straight, legs hip distance apart, soles together and clench and hold the butt cheeks over and over. 🍑
  • AnnPT77
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    na07t7tdvon7.png

LOL! Now I feel better about flipping my mattress and vacuuming the bedroom at about 1:30AM today. I had thought I was an eccentric night owl, but now I can feel like a cool retro NEAT-maximizer! 😉
  • AnnPT77
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I have a 'cobbled from items around the house" stand-option for my work-at-home computer-work desk.

I love this, may need to find a surface to use my laptop while standing. I like the improvisational aspect, too. There's been discussion over on one of the coronavirus threads about ergonomics problems with WFH home office substitutes. MacGyvering some improvements is a really good thought!