WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    ๐Ÿ’•
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    Addendum - Max was not part of the biscuit ruckus. He is deducted computer time when he is naughty, so he chooses his battles. :p

Love Heather UK

My daughter in law is talking any moment now on the radio about conflict resolution!!!! If she had been here the biscuit situation would not have got out of hand!!! :laugh:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited August 2020
    Still catching up :(

I strained my back yesterday exercising! :o Who knew you had to be fit to exercise :D It's my own fault, I should have started with a lower weight for the lifting (to strengthen my back ironically) thankfully I didn't do too many lifts, but I can hardly move this morning. Need to keep moving - slowly.

Seems a lot of you are already thinking about Christmas and the talented amongst you are crafting away with gift ideas. Can't seem to get my head around Christmas yet though.

Hopefully the weather will stay fine this evening (thunderstorms have been predicted around the country) as I'm meeting up with friends to celebrate one of their birthdays. Joan has kindly offered her garden for the event and we'll have nibbles, wine and cake - seems we have a few birthdays in July/August this will be the third birthday, good job I like cake :) I'll have a small slice as I don't want to undo all my good work - it's taken me ages to lose a few pounds and it is oh so easy to put them back on.

Love to all <3
    Viv UK

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited August 2020
    The broadcaster got her name wrong in the beginning, but she got some good points over. She still doesn't sound entirely relaxed, but I would be petrified if it were me with millions listening! If any of you want to listen, Karen ? then it's on the bbc app SOUNDS, Woman's Hour, 14th Aug, about half an hour in. There are other speakers talking about conflict in the work place as well. Tracey ?

I tried twice to get on Woman's Hour about my memoir, but no luck, so I am hideously envious. I hope I hide it well around her. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Happy Friday!

Husband has temporary crown in. While that was happening, I came home to put Sara in, did my dishes, and relaxed a few minutes. Picked him up at dentist and back to work I went. SIL left the minute we got back-๐Ÿ˜ž can't change it, trying not to stress it. It is an action that hurts moral for three of us. After work started laundry, dinner, cleaned up kitchen again. Husband has been trying to get security cameras up on the outside of our house since his mother died. The person doing it has been too busy. DH said we needed to just get something for while we are gone. I spent over an hour looking them up. I found something not too expensive that I think would work. His comment....I need to ask B...grumble. I closed the computer and went to bed.

I love the crafts and grandkid stories! I think I am going to dig out a cross stitch to take on vacation. I take my color books, magazines, and kindle.

Welcome to the new ladies! This is a wonderful supportive group of ladies of all backgrounds, ages, and experiences. Check in often and you get to know us better.

My weight loss incentive- pictures. From 155 to 135 was when I saw rounder face in photos. I thought I looked good at 135, then saw a picture from our honeymoon and went -OH NO! It hasn't been fast as I tend to plateau lots, but each time it breaks is awesome! My goal is 115 and I am bouncing between 115-117. At times I get lazy and dont log.....that doesn't work for me. I need to think before eating and logging helps that. I was 98 lbs when I met my husband in 1994. I was a waitress and working two full time jobs. The weight started creeping on when I started working at his shop. If I would exercise the weight might move better.......in the meantime just watching CICO has worked.

Love you ladies! Have a day of the best choices you can make at the moment!

โค
    Kylia in Ohio
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

The thunder is rumble bumbling outside... I do love the rain, particularly when I'm not out in it! :) Corey's off to work, I've got laundry washing... and any time I start feeling as if I am doing drudgery by doing laundry yet again, I remember my mother scrubbing on a washboard much like this one:

22gqjibnq4me.png

She was so pleased when she got a wringer washer much like this one that my father found on some scrap heap and rewired:

efuahnaufgrb.png

But if you weren't careful when it was running and touched any metal surface, the electric shock would knock you right across the room. Eventually, it went on the scrap heap as well.

Shortly after the washer gave up the ghost, my father started making Mama go to work with him, but when he realized she wouldn't have time to do the laundry AND cook AND clean AND work for him, he allowed her to take the umpty-ump loads of laundry for a family of six (by that time) to the laundromat on weekends.

If I'd been her I would have put some arsenic in his morning coffee. He always thought she was trying to kill him anyway.

She's on my mind as her birthday is this week--she would have been 94. She divorced him when she was 51, and lived the final 20 years of her life on her own... completely, gloriously, wonderfully alone, but with visits from her kids and grandkids in serial fashion.

:)

The parent anniversaries and the talk of grandkids brought all this up for me this morning. Thank you for that!

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    I choose to be an adult quite often, but love being a bit of a brat from time to time ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

I saw this during this morning's scan and thought I had written this yesterday. Then I saw Terri posted it. Terri your new haircut is as sassy as they get, but I cannot imagine you being a brat.
  • Faetta
    Beth It is just insane all these conflicting mask rules. Cloth masks do hold moisture and germs, but that would hurt the wearer and no one else. Did they require latex gloves? That is way more important in a hospital than a mask.
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Lisa The early years of my off-grid living I used a washboard and a galvanized double tub and hand wringer. I finally upgraded to a gas-powered washer with a wringer. I think about that wringer every time I get a mammogram. Eventually, it was spring water, indoor plumbing, line electricity, and matching washer and dryer. My laundry and water system in the 70's. I am using the spoiler link because as you can see I was an entitled spoiled brat that pampered myself during those years.
    5hpwwjayut6k.jpgl8laglc0rrpj.jpg
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Happy Birthday, Carol!
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Heather Weather I went to bed last evening after reading the heat advisory alert for the next few days. over 100. I stepped out on my patio sports workout bikini-clad and was met with 50-degree air. A few Tai Chi moves and I finished my workout indoors. Time to unfold my sports leggings and unhanger my sports jacket. I don't see it getting 100 today but who knows anymore. 50-degree variance, crazy! I call it Heather weather because it is the hot weather Heather has and the cool weather she begs for. I get it all in one day. From Artic parka to Caribbean bikini all in one day.

Faye wardrobe confused
    near the Columbia Gorge
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    Barbie: Congrats on your yarn order! Iโ€™d love to learn more about project Linus. ๐ŸŒˆ

:) I checked the internet and there is a chapter of Project Linus in the Portland/Vancouver area. If they are anything like the one here, they will have many creative ways that blankets can be dropped off. They accept knitted, crocheted, quilted, and fleece blankets. The website gives information about sizes and what materials to use.

projectlinusoregon.org/index.html
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    A little birdie told me that today is Carolโ€™s birthday!!!

t3316.gif

Love,

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather I would love to hear your eloquent daughter-in-law - if the recording is available to me now, I will find it!!! Lovely.

K

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    To Carol on her 72nd birthday...

hscvwd54pfym.png

And many more!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)laundry
    I remember my mother talking about hanging laundry on the line in Massachusetts in the winter and having it freeze solid.
    As an adult, I have lived all but a short time in coastal climates where the fog, drizzle, rain, and cool temperatures made hanging clothes on the line to dry, nearly impossible.

:)Faye, we have weird weather here, too, but not as weird as yours. The furnace comes on in the morning to heat the house and the cooler comes on in the afternoon and evening to cool it down.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2020
    ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿค—

Carol

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    ๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽˆ
  • Faetta
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROL!!! Wow 72 and still a babe. I hope I can say the same in 2 years. I hope your day is great and good health and fortune come your way.