Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Over here (Australia) I thought it is the smarter ones goes to university and then the rest either do TAFE (college)or other regular jobs. Not sure if it's different to there. I certainly didn't think I was up to going to uni. I know I was a lot more sensible than some of my friends that went to uni and totally had no common sense even in later life now.

as a fellow Australian I don't think I would agree with that.

People who are more academic tend to do University degrees.

People who are doing more hands on courses - trades etc, - tend to go to TAFE - thats what TAFE stands for - Technical And Further Education

and anyway there are different sorts of smart - some people are book learning smart (academic) and others are smart in different ways.

2 of my children went to University and 1 went to TAFE and became a qualified tradesman.

I wouldnt say the 2 are neccesarily smarter in life - they just had the inclination and aptitude for academic study

and all may or may not have common sense and good judgement.

No problem. We don't tend to agree with many things lol. Have a great day. I Think we did agree and we just worded things differently really. I'm not great with words I know.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Drove through the local university campus early evening. Lines at the bars, beer pong in yards groups walking around not a mask to be seen unless it was around someone's neck. Place will be shut down before classes even start.

I'm not sure what to think about that. Aren't people that go to university supposed to be smarter than the average person? Guess not then.

Going into or getting into college has nothing to do with someone being smart or not. People entering college are generally 18 year old kids who's frontal lobes have still yet to fully develop. Going to college allows one to be educated in an area of expertise...like anything, there will be people who graduate with minimum qualifications and people with exemplary qualifications, and everything in between. I'm an accountant that graduated cume laude...I spent a lot of time in school tutoring others...there were also a lot of other accountants that graduated with C's...

For a lot of college students, the first couple years are largely a party with classes before things get serious....there's also a huge flunk/drop ratio during this time. The notion that everyone who gets into college is supposed to be smarter is ridiculous...coming out the other end better educated doesn't mean smarter...it means you received the education.

PS...even as a cume laude I did stupid *kitten*...'cuz young people do stupid *kitten*...I just happened to be a brain wizard at accounting. That didn't ever keep me from keggers, growing weed in my closet, jumping motor bikes, etc.

ETA: I'm biased, but my kids are really damned smart, particularly in mathematics...but they're 8 and 10...and everyday I see some of the dumbest *kitten* ever done that makes me pound my head on the table...every friggin' day...they outdo themselves. Smart has nothing to do with actually being aware/socially aware...it just means they rock the *kitten* out of fractions and division...If they lived on their own they would eat Bagel Bites and do nose dives into a 6' pool while drinking copious amounts of Dr. Pepper and maybe having some Ramen here and there, then jumping their mountain bikes off the roof into the pool...

For once we are in total agreement. My freshman year of college I dislocated my shoulder rollerblading down the spiral off-ramp from a six-story elevated parking garage. Someone there had a stopwatch and estimated we got up to 60 mph before wiping out, which I think is an exaggeration, but regardless it was way too darned fast and a spectacularly stupid thing to do. And I was known as “the smart one” in my group of college friends. Book smarts and good sense are not the same at all.

Bison tipping, that was also a thing. Because if you have a herd of bison and a herd of college boys, the boys have to break into the grounds of an actual prison at night to tip the dangerous large quadrupeds.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Over here (Australia) I thought it is the smarter ones goes to university and then the rest either do TAFE (college)or other regular jobs. Not sure if it's different to there. I certainly didn't think I was up to going to uni. I know I was a lot more sensible than some of my friends that went to uni and totally had no common sense even in later life now.

as a fellow Australian I don't think I would agree with that.

People who are more academic tend to do University degrees.

People who are doing more hands on courses - trades etc, - tend to go to TAFE - thats what TAFE stands for - Technical And Further Education

and anyway there are different sorts of smart - some people are book learning smart (academic) and others are smart in different ways.

2 of my children went to University and 1 went to TAFE and became a qualified tradesman.

I wouldnt say the 2 are neccesarily smarter in life - they just had the inclination and aptitude for academic study

and all may or may not have common sense and good judgement.

No problem. We don't tend to agree with many things lol. Have a great day. I Think we did agree and we just worded things differently really. I'm not great with words I know.

yes, maybe.

My post wasnt in direct opposition to yours anyway - was just giving my own view going on from what you said.

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    It's fine but I'll stay out of here from now on. Take care.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The opposite is true on my street. Lots of us are taking the opportunity to do home improvement tasks. One neighbor painted their foundation, my OH started pressure-washing the patio, killed that washer, bought another, finished the patio, and then pressure-washed the fence. This inspired another neighbor to pressure-wash his deck, and then paint it. Etc. (I think it's an environmentally irresponsible waste of water during a drought, but...)

On the inside, we finally got around to going through more of his mom's stuff - she passed away 3 years ago. I scrubbed the kitchen floor on my hands and knees and took everything out of the frig and cleaned it. This is NOT normal for me, lol.

Same here! I've been doing much more sorting things out, and my husband has been organizing the kitchen like crazy.
    I also learned how to bake bread (my husband has known how for a long time) and am trying a lot more recipes. Onion bread, roasted garlic bread, olive bread, sweet potato cornbread. Just made Cornish pasties for the first time a couple of days ago, and I want to make piroshki soon. Also making different curries. Also making my own spice blends instead of bottled mixes.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to my FaceBook feed before the pandemic, but started to in an effort to consume less news. So many of my friends took up baking! And there were so many posts lamenting flour and yeast shortages, lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    For those of you who have not yet had your fill of Apocalyptic fiction, "On the Media" rebroadcast their 2017 segment featuring interviews of authors of this genre, specifically SLOW apocalypses.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/episodes/on-the-media-apocalypse-now-2020-08-14

Jeff VanderMeer's highly acclaimed "Southern Reach" trilogy sounds interesting, and I have just downloaded the book featured in the interview, "Borne," from my library.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_VanderMeer

I've already had Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series on my reading list, but am going to let "New York 2140," which I just downloaded from my library, skip ahead in the queue.

Also downloaded "Gold Fame Citrus" - while she admits how inaccurate her science is, the passages she read in the interview made me think I will like it for other reasons.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    My niece brought her kids up to see my mother. Inside, none of them wearing masks; now I have to isolate from my parents for two weeks. I was furious.

If anyone has Kindle Unlimited they can read my book for free. It's an apocalyptic romance: Something Begins. No pandemic. I've been avoiding anything in the apocalyptic genre myself. Somehow, I don't find them enjoyable when living through one.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    My friend a science fiction writer wrote this to honor her sister in law who passed away last month from Covid. It's chilling.

http://www.elizabethmoon.com/site/Bring.Out.Your.Dead.html

Powerful fiction writing.