Excess Eggs

JustSomeEm
JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
I have 9 chickens who recently began laying eggs. We are getting 9 eggs every. single. day. I have 4 people who live in my house (but also 2 dogs and 3 cats). I am looking for recipes and/or ideas regarding what to use the eggs for. I think my neighbors and local family are also overwhelmed with all the eggs.... I suppose I could see if anyone local would like to buy some (I'd rather not though). Any other suggestions?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Lemon curd keeps indefinitely and uses a lot of eggs and yolks. Makes a nice gift too.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_curd_68499

Excess whites can be frozen in ice cube trays. When you want to use them for baking a large egg white is typically 40g. For coating fish or chicken in breadcrumbs, I typically just defrost some whites instead of the whole egg.

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited August 2020
    Not to mention your pets will have a glossy coat from an occasional egg treat. Introduce slowly, raw on kibble or hard-boiled and peeled. Keep in mind these are extra calories and so adjust their intake or exercise.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Could food banks or a homeless shelter use them?
    I would make a tonne of meringue, my son would make a pile or omelettes or pancakes.
    Probably doesn't really help you though :/
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I have a massive excess of cucumbers and soon potatoes - I’ll swap you for some eggs!!🤣
  • JustSomeEm
    acpgee wrote: »
    Lemon curd keeps indefinitely and uses a lot of eggs and yolks. Makes a nice gift too.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_curd_68499

Excess whites can be frozen in ice cube trays. When you want to use them for baking a large egg white is typically 40g. For coating fish or chicken in breadcrumbs, I typically just defrost some whites instead of the whole egg.

I am totally doing the lemon curd today (after I hit the store for lemons). THANK YOU!

I'll look into the frittatas - thanks. We've already got an over-abundance of eggs pickling. :D
    Not to mention your pets will have a glossy coat from an occasional egg treat. Introduce slowly, raw on kibble or hard-boiled and peeled. Keep in mind these are extra calories and so adjust their intake or exercise.

Good point, and thanks! Mostly my critters are free-fed since I no longer have a dog who will eat anything not nailed down, so in at least one case, the extra calories would be welcome (great pyrenees who just won't eat enough to NOT be underweight).
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Could food banks or a homeless shelter use them?
    I would make a tonne of meringue, my son would make a pile or omelettes or pancakes.
    Probably doesn't really help you though :/

This is a fantastic idea. I'll look into it. THANKS!
    I have a massive excess of cucumbers and soon potatoes - I’ll swap you for some eggs!!🤣

If you were local, I'd be all over this (you're not in MD are you?). Cucumbers and potatoes are delicious, and not something I'm growing in my garden this year. :)

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    We eat tons of french toast, boiled eggs (plain, on salads or sandwiches) deviled eggs, egg burritos.
    For the 5 of us (2 adults, 2 teens, 1 preteen) we eat a minimum of 5 dozen eggs a week.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Mmmm, food banks and shelters are actually careful about fresh eggs and produce from gardens.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/10/food-banks-across-the-country-increasingly-focusing-on-food-safety/
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I think the answer with excess eggs is to take oneor two whole eggs and a half dozen egg whites and make a giant omelet or scramble. 17 calories per egg white. one jumbo egg 90 calories. 5 egg whites 85 calories. Monster omelet 175 calories.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Clafoutis or flaugnarde can be made either sweet or savory. Basically, it's a baked egg mixture with stuff in it. Traditionally, it's made with cherries but if you look up "savory clafoutis" you'll find lots of ideas for ones with mushrooms or other veg and sometimes a bit of meat in them. Here's a link to a basic recipe I won a blue ribbon for: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/fruit-dessert/cherry-clafouti.html

A "Dutch baby" is a similar baked egg dish and can be either plain, fruit or savory. Here's something to make your mouth water: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/dining/savory-dutch-baby-recipe.html
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Angel food cake
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited August 2020
    @JustSomeEm - I’m super envious of your fresh egg haul!!

Some things I do with eggs:

-Protein bread, egg muffins - add in whatever veggies/meats you like and keeps in fridge for 3-5 days. When I make olive loaf or protein bread - it takes 8 eggs per loaf!

-meatloaf

-quiche!! My fav. So many varieties!

-homemade egg noodles - if you don’t have a pasta maker - you can roll and cut with a knife or make gnocchi. Can keep frozen noodles on hand for 3-4 months! This can use up much of your eggs if you like pasta.

-sweet or savory pastry shells - can also keep frozen. Egg rolls wraps can wrap anything! Take out of freezer and make any food wrap.

-Homemade mayonnaise! - once I started making my own, I can’t go back. Keeps for 2 weeks in fridge.

-Shakshuka 🍳 🍅

Ps - creme brûlée, pavlova, merengues- all eggs 🥚 👩🏼‍🍳!! ☺️ Fresh ice cream!

Eggs and egg yolk is also great conditioner for your hair - egg whites make a great face treatment. Take a plastic cup in the shower - add the egg to your conditioner, leave on for a min then rinse. Super shiny hair. For face - egg white masks, there are a bunch of variations!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Spanish tortilla uses a lot of eggs and is good served warm straight out of the pan or at room temperature. It is something I make when we have house guests so they can help themselves to something nice at breakfast if they are awake earlier than me. A useful thing to have in the house if you have older kids running around so they can grab a slice for breakfast or a snack. Seeing as you have pets keep it under a cake cloche.

https://spanishsabores.com/2012/06/30/best-spanish-omelet-recipe/
  • JustSomeEm
    You guys are amazing. Thanks for all the ideas!

@Safari_Gal_ - we actually ended up making ice cream today - took 8 eggs, and I have teenage boys, so I'm almost guaranteed not to have to eat any of it. It's totally delicious, though, so I might sneak some before the horde absconds with it all.

@HeidiCooksSupper - those clafouti look really interesting. I'll be trying them soon, thank you for sharing!

@acpgee - the lemon curd you linked is still on the menu, but the youngest asked that we make peach ice cream today, so we did. Took 8 eggs, so almost as many as we got from the chickens today. I foresee quite a few more egg-centric dishes on the menu from now on. All these ideas are super helpful.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    You could buy some waterglass and preserve the eggs to use in the winter when your chickens aren't laying so many.

I eat 2 eggs for breakfast almost every morning: omelets, frittatas, poached on toast, scrambled, baked eggs in creamed spinach, deviled eggs, fried eggs, etc.

Also, egg salad sandwiches, homemade mayo, and that lemon curd sounds good, or lemon meringue pie. I made some oopsie rolls the other day (low carb bread of eggs and cream cheese or cottage cheese).

I made some okonomiyaki (Japanese cabbage pancakes) today which had 2 eggs in them. Any type of vegetable pancake or fritter would use eggs and be tasty.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I keep hard boiled eggs around for in between snack, my dogs love them too
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I know this doesn’t answer your question but make sure to give your chickens calcium supplements. You can also let them sit on “dummy” eggs so they will lay less.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    If you've got a use for yolks, meringues are good for really a lot of things. Simple baked cookie-sized ones are a nice sweet treat, and not horribly high calorie. Something like pavlova, with summer fruits, is excellent. There are some amazing recipes for tortes that have meringue layers. (Blender hollandaise is a good use for the yolks.)

Do you make souffle (easier than most people think)? Custard puddings? If you trust them raw, classic chocolate mousse is an option, but a little decadent.

Cream puffs, savory or sweet? (Fill the sweet ones with custard pudding for the double win.) Cream puffs freeze well, thaw fast. I've frozen small ones with a cream filling and eaten them frozen, too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Oh, and - Yorkshire pudding (which is really not pudding in the normal senses at all, more like popovers . . . .).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Exchange your eggs for my brownies?