Lactose Intolerance Club?<3

Wanting to find more people with similar struggles to mine, check in and just say hi! Tell about struggles, victories, etc. This is a safe place for everyone!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Finding soy milk was a victory! It and oat milk have mild enough tastes that they do well as coffee creamers. I don't like the flavor almond milk adds to coffee.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I'm just over a year into lactose-free dairy options. My GI tract, as well as my loved ones, are thankful 😷.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited August 2020
    I became lactose intolerant in my early 30’s then it went away for a couple of years and came back, now it seems like it’s here to stay. I never did drink a lot of milk but I cannot go without my beloved cheese and ice cream :p I’m extremely sensitive to it, any dairy can be painful even cheeses and yogurt, I’ve heard some people can eat these ok but not me. Luckily, the lactase enzyme pills work for me so I pop anywhere between half a pill to 2 pills right before I eat or drink dairy and it takes care if any gastric distress preemptively so I don’t get any symptoms. My doctor said the pills don’t work for everyone but I’ve always had good results.
  • bdelaney33
    bdelaney33 Posts: 150 Member
    I became lactose intolerant in my early 30’s then it went away for a couple of years and came back, now it seems like it’s here to stay. I never did drink a lot of milk but I cannot go without my beloved cheese and ice cream :p I’m extremely sensitive to it, any dairy can be painful even cheeses and yogurt, I’ve heard some people can eat these ok but not me. Luckily, the lactase enzyme pills work for me so I pop anywhere between half a pill to 2 pills right before I eat or drink dairy and it takes care if any gastric distress preemptively so I don’t get any symptoms. My doctor said the pills don’t work for everyone but I’ve always had good results.

Is it a prescription pill or something you can just pick up at the pharmacy? For me; i've just given up on all things dairy. (except pizza.... lol)
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    bdelaney33 wrote: »

Is it a prescription pill or something you can just pick up at the pharmacy? For me; i've just given up on all things dairy. (except pizza.... lol)

It’s over the counter. I buy CVS generic or Walmart generic brands.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    I first found out I have a lactose intolerance in my early 20's. As a kid growing up I was constantly drinking milk, eating ice cream, and pizza wasn't pizza without extra cheese. (I didn't care for cheese outside of pizza). I got to college and my dairy intake decreased to almost none, and low and behold intolerance hit. I can have a very small amount (think 1/4 cup) of milk without distress, and I refuse to give up pizza, but other than that my life is very much dairy free. I do miss Ice Cream :neutral:
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Yep it hit in my late 20s. Milk is the evil culprit. I can have cheese and some kinds of yogurt with no troubles. Whey protein gave me a wierd rash on my face so I use pea protein currently. I 'll take those pills before a big holiday meal where you know there will be tons of milk baked i to that rich food.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    It's a safe place until someone brings the cream
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Lactose intolerant.

I drink oat milk and egg whites for my liquid protein

I love love love 3% milk but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Aside from that I use dairy free creamers and live my life normally.