Always in August

BBee5064
BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
So here we are in August our 8th month of 2020
It’s been a crazy year so far for all of us. How have we coped? How have you kept yourselves cheerful? What about your fitness had it improved or had it gone in the opposite direction? Are we happy with what we have achieved?
Please feel free to share any tips etc that you have found useful.

Have a great August everyone

Stay well

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    I bought a boat.

I'll add details on the outdoor exercise thread.
  • Frau_In_Der_Schweiz
    Frau_In_Der_Schweiz Posts: 10 Member
    it has indeed been a crazy year..... I was starting to walk outside more as I live next to a forest.... BUT my cough got worse and in May I was diagnosed with allergic asthma... so all that forest walking was actually making me worse as it was high pollen season.... at least now I know why I was wheezing so much and I'm not just unfit after all. :) I have a rowing machine and a bosu ball so I'm working out more inside the house now and catching up on TV shows at the same time... I haven't gained any weight so thtas a plus I guess....
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    I haven't done as well since all of this COVID crap. While trying to help some of our local places to stay afloat when restaurants were forced to close and offer take-out only, I crumbled and ate poorly. And of course, when gyms closed, I didn't replace my workouts and gained. Just excuses, I know, but I'm still paying for those choices. Ugh!
  • BBee5064
    it has indeed been a crazy year..... I was starting to walk outside more as I live next to a forest.... BUT my cough got worse and in May I was diagnosed with allergic asthma... so all that forest walking was actually making me worse as it was high pollen season.... at least now I know why I was wheezing so much and I'm not just unfit after all. :) I have a rowing machine and a bosu ball so I'm working out more inside the house now and catching up on TV shows at the same time... I haven't gained any weight so thtas a plus I guess....

Sorry to hear about your allergic asthma diagnosis. I can see you have an excellent exercise/entertainment regime sorted.
    Well done on not gaining any weight in the process .stay well x
  • BBee5064
    staps065 wrote: »
    I haven't done as well since all of this COVID crap. While trying to help some of our local places to stay afloat when restaurants were forced to close and offer take-out only, I crumbled and ate poorly. And of course, when gyms closed, I didn't replace my workouts and gained. Just excuses, I know, but I'm still paying for those choices. Ugh![/

Don’t be too hard on yourself. Today a new day.
    Keep going.
    Let us know how you get on :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    So here we are in August our 8th month of 2020
    It’s been a crazy year so far for all of us. How have we coped? How have you kept yourselves cheerful? What about your fitness had it improved or had it gone in the opposite direction? Are we happy with what we have achieved?
    Please feel free to share any tips etc that you have found useful.

Have a great August everyone

Stay well

I feel grateful, now, to be a natural introvert, and to have been raised as an only child and in the country. That gave me some resources to draw on - well, that, and a stockpile of probably 3 lifetimes of craft supplies! 😆 I'd prefer more "social" in my "social life", but as far as I can tell, my mood and attitude are on an even keel.

I'm staying in touch with friends by phone/text/social network, and the very occasional outdoor, distant meet-up. I have been doing grocery shopping in person, but strategizing to only need to go every couple of weeks. I have been hitting the outdoor farmers market a little more often than that recently, though. Mostly, I'm at home all day, every day, by myself, unless you count houseplants.

I'd say my fitness is close to normal, maybe *a little* depleted. My usual summer would be on-water rowing 4 days a week, spin class 2 days, and neither of those are happening right now. I was a grump about it for a while, but have now settled into a shortish steady-state machine row 6 days a week, and kind of lackadaisical strength training 3 days. (I'm lucky to have a rowing machine and weights at home.) Right now, I'm thinking whether I have the self-discipline to do Concept 2's (rowing machine manufacturer) Dog Days of Summer challenge: 10K total anytime during the first week, 20K the second, then 30K, 40K. The routine I was in delivered the 10K and 20K automatically, and the 30K is an easy add; I'll have to act like a grown-up in week 4, and overcome my annoyance with machine rowing in summer (it's just. not. a. boat.). That's really not a lot of volume, compared to serious indoor rowers, but . . . well, it's not my first love, OK? 😉

Though I consider myself to be in weight maintenance, I've continued my earlier trend of ultra-slow weight loss (pound a month or less), which got a little easier without so many social, restaurant, and brewpub temptations. It makes me happy that that's worked out. (Sitting just under 130 most of the time recently.) There was a little "whaa?" moment when I restarted strength training, because the water weight I always add when I resume was pretty misleading against that very slow loss. Even my trending app thought I was gaining, for a bit. Gotta trust the process, though, right? 🙂

I was already retired, but still had a delusion, at the start of "shelter at home" that I'd achieve many more things around home, when not going out at all. It turns out that I actually am just pretty lazy, not busy or distracted by activities. Oh, well. 😆

I feel like my whole job, right now, is just to stay sane, and mostly positive as an influence on others (social media, call people who I think might need a reach-out, contribute $ within my limited ability, etc.) I'm working at it. 😉

Wishing everyone a good course and good outcomes, continuing good health to you and your families, and a smoother future soon for those who are struggling right now - sending strength, virtual hugs!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'm in the middle of can't wait for the next season. I moved to AZ to get out of all the rain and cloudy days. We've had a wildfire all of June, the hottest July on record, followed by the hottest August on record. No days yet this month where the high is below 103.

I'm ready for September. And October. And November, December, etc. until we get back to July again. July is when we stop having cool mornings and it's just hot 24 hours a day. June had two lovely weeks but you couldn't breath outside with the wildfires, so that ruined that.

And July and August are when you normally could drive up and get some relief up in the local mountains, which were closed until last week or so. I might have to go up to Flagstaff for a weekend or so.

Eating out on decks of restaurants at 105 is getting real old real quick. The 10 day forecast finally has some relief toward the end of the month -- highs in the 90s, where they should be this time of year.

The only nice thing has been the pool.
  • BBee5064
    I'm in the middle of can't wait for the next season. I moved to AZ to get out of all the rain and cloudy days. We've had a wildfire all of June, the hottest July on record, followed by the hottest August on record. No days yet this month where the high is below 103.

I'm ready for September. And October. And November, December, etc. until we get back to July again. July is when we stop having cool mornings and it's just hot 24 hours a day. June had two lovely weeks but you couldn't breath outside with the wildfires, so that ruined that.

And July and August are when you normally could drive up and get some relief up in the local mountains, which were closed until last week or so. I might have to go up to Flagstaff for a weekend or so.

Eating out on decks of restaurants at 105 is getting real old real quick. The 10 day forecast finally has some relief toward the end of the month -- highs in the 90s, where they should be this time of year.

Hi Ann
    Thank you for giving us an a little incite into your life. You sound like you have a positive mindset.
    Stay well xx
  • BBee5064

Hi Mike
    The soaring temperatures sound horrendous! Where are you based?
    Having a pool sounds like your much needed friend :)