How To Start Off Wrong (from member experiences)

How have YOU failed?

These are as many of mine as I can think of at the moment:

1) Assumed that I must eat healthy food.

2) Do the same diet my wife is doing.

3) Meal replacement shakes

4) Pills - prescription and OTC

5) Eating very little food

6) Exercise the pounds away mentality

7) Picked a diet because a friend or coworker lost some weight doing it

8) Picked a diet because of internet or similar research

9) Ate foods to speed up my metabolism or fat burning (go grapefruit power!)

10) Ate more often to speed up my metabolism.

11) Believed some scheme because I was told my weight gain was not my fault

12) Believed fat was the enemy

13) Believed a doctor

14) Thought I needed to start off behaving like all the healthy weight people I knew

15) Had cheat meals

Replies

• teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    My list:

4) Making too big a deal about food even while successfully dieting - such as, spending hours or chunks of hours planning out and talking about the next meal - thus never breaking that obese person habit of thinking/planning/dreaming/wanting/craving/needing food constantly. Even while successfully dieting, spending the whole day thinking about the next meal, very understandable given the often-a-little-hungry nature of dieting, contains the seeds of a future diet breakdown.

This is where I'm at, even after a year, maybe not hours, maybe not constant, but yes, this hits a chord.
    How do you move past it?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,386 Member
    I only eat 1400 calories per day. Thus I can't be gaining weight. (hint: I did!). That was before I came here.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    My list:

4) Making too big a deal about food even while successfully dieting - such as, spending hours or chunks of hours planning out and talking about the next meal - thus never breaking that obese person habit of thinking/planning/dreaming/wanting/craving/needing food constantly. Even while successfully dieting, spending the whole day thinking about the next meal, very understandable given the often-a-little-hungry nature of dieting, contains the seeds of a future diet breakdown.

This is where I'm at, even after a year, maybe not hours, maybe not constant, but yes, this hits a chord.
    How do you move past it?

I think it is common to put food on a pedestal but does it really belong there? It might help to gain perspective by making a list of all the ways that the food experience sucks. The goal is not to be anti-food but to have some mental ammunition to shoot down unhelpful thoughts. When I made my list I got quite mad... but I got over it.