Shake day, strictly fruits?

I’m planning to do a shake day tomorrow where I just drink shakes, but is it still considered a shake day if I have a protein shake with almond milk and with PB2 powder.

What I’ve seen when people do a shake fast or a shake day, is they only do strictly fruits.

Is it really a preference what types of shakes to have during a shake fast or is the recommended way to go about it fruits?

Replies

• ChiefOTF
    ChiefOTF Posts: 3 Member

I dont understand the point to this "shake fast"
    Maybe not a fast but just drinking shakes for a day to detox the body.

• ChiefOTF
    ChiefOTF Posts: 3 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    A preference to whom? People selling shakes?

This is a website where people log food, so most of us do that. Eat real food, log your portions. Yes, this takes work. But you will learn so much about your eating habits. Learning is a good thing because weight loss is going to be the first step. Keeping the weight off will take work too.

Wasn’t my question
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

Please only post if you have something CONSTRUCTIVE to add to the conversation. Let's not forget trolling is against guidelines.

Thanks,
    4legs
    MFP volunteer moderator
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    As for your question, if you're still determined to go ahead with your plan, you probably should ask whoever or whatever source sold you on this idea. The majority of MFP forum participants have little tolerance for non-evidence-based fads like fasts and detoxes -- many of which it would be a violation of MFP rules to advocate, as they are often VLCs.

I would go to the source too if you are unclear of this venture. There are just SO many ways in which people concoct their 'shakes'/juices, etc., And as we all know, there are tons of ones out there...A one day juice/shake (whatever) isn't going to hurt you in anyway but you'll probably be super hungry the next day lol!
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    give him a break, maybe he meant he wants to give his body a rest from processing regular food & have a "light" digestion day, nothing wrong with that. I made a shake for breakfast today of cashew milk, frozen strawberries, plain yogurt & protein powder. I also made a big batch of green "juice" in our nutribullit, so not really juice but all kinds of greens. It's so hot to cook too much so we drink our veggies this week
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Shake day? Why and how come?

As mentioned, your body detoxes perfectly well via your kidneys and liver. It does not require a "shake day" to help it. If it did, this would be alarming, and you would likely be in hospital.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    ChiefOTF wrote: »
    I’m planning to do a shake day tomorrow where I just drink shakes, but is it still considered a shake day if I have a protein shake with almond milk and with PB2 powder.

What I’ve seen when people do a shake fast or a shake day, is they only do strictly fruits.

Is it really a preference what types of shakes to have during a shake fast or is the recommended way to go about it fruits?
    I dont understand the point to this "shake fast"
    ChiefOTF wrote: »
    Maybe not a fast but just drinking shakes for a day to detox the body.

20 years ago, I did a 7 day juice fast. The juice was made from vegetables and fruit. We also had vegetable broth. I was concerned about the nutritionally unbalanced aspect of this and added protein powder to the juice.

At the time, I was very sick and convinced of the need to "detox." While I do believe that improving my diet generally at that time was very helpful, I no longer believe that juice fast = detox.

Afterwards, I juiced for a while, but all that (vegetable) sugar without fiber, protein, and fat gave me headaches and made me feel lousy, so I stopped.

A few years back I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and because of my previous experience with juicing felt no need to juice, but since I did find it somewhat inspirational I started making fruit and veggie smoothies in my food processor (a blender would work too) and added protein and fat for a balanced meal. This was very useful for me to increase my fruit and veg consumption, but again, not detoxing. (Or cleansing.)
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    edited August 2020
    I usually go to Sonic.

https://youtu.be/JzCinhkttRE
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    How is a shake a “fast”? It’s just blended fruit. If you normally eat a lot of junk, I suppose it could be considered a detox. I often live on “shakes” made from scratch with frozen fruit, veggies, organic protein powder, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, non-fat yogurt, sugar-free almond milk, then put it all in an ice cream maker and eat it as healthy “ice cream” meals. You can also make a delicious sorbet with just fruit. Eating just fruit and/or veggies for a few days is not going to kill you, eventually you’ll want to add in some healthy fats and protein like nuts and seeds mentioned above.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @ChiefOTF Where did you go, Chief. You can have your shake and drink it, too. ;) Many drink shakes as part of their protocol or program. People who lift heavy things like shakes as a supplement. Almost all shakes are made with denatured proteins. They lack the satiety factor for making them the main course or all throughout the day.

It's true. You're not actually 'toxed', so a shake day won't detox anything. Go ahead and enjoy them but come back and visit.