Maintained weight for well over a year now

Using FitnessPal as my primary tool, I lost about 45 lbs well over 18 months ago now. Maintaining weight has always been a challenge in the past, but feel pretty confident that I now know how to accomplish that.

The main difference this time was during the weight loss phase, spending a solid 1 1/2 years tracking every single calorie that I consumed every day, for every meal and for every snack. By doing this for a long time, you eventually know instinctively how many calories you are consuming in any given intake - you no longer need to maintain a diary because you are doing it automatically. Plus, over the course of a year, you have retrained your body to adapt to a normal caloric intake.

For weight loss, I needed 1700 calorie per day was need to lose 1/2 to 1 lb per week. For maintenance, I increased to around 2000 calories a day. Took a long time to determine these setpoints with accuracy.

Lessons learned over these 2+ years of weight loss and maintenance?

It's pretty simple for me. Right-sizing portions and meals and avoiding calorically dense foods, which generally means little/no fast food or restaurants, and minimizing but not eliminating snack foods and rich desserts. Essentially realize that you aren't eating for entertainment or pleasure, you are eating to fuel your body in a sustainable healthy way.

Replies

• sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    Really inspiring! I love hearing maintenance success stories. Good luck for the future.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    Congrats on your loss and your maintenance. I think the key to maintaining is finding what works for you. When I started maintenance 4 years ago my problem was I kept losing. So I kept logging until I finally got my CI to match my CO. I think I will always log what I eat. I do have a pretty good idea of how much I am eating so if I need to guess I do. And since I always know how much I am eating i can work in treats and fast foods and I eat out a lot too. The way to maintain is to find the balance between CI and CO. But how you find that balance will differ from person to person. Some will always need to log and some won't.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Kudos man...well done!
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    Well done on reaching your goal... and staying there which IMO is the hardest part!
    I've been maintaining for about 6 years now and while I haven't weighed myself for over 2 years, I do track religiously, well almost religiously. I think everyone has to find out what works best for them and if it's working, stick with it.