What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• veggiepat
    veggiepat Posts: 127 Member
    edited August 2020
    1cs5i7jhrgw5.jpg

quinoa with veggies and chicken
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    You all take much better photos than me, but my overnight oats was amazing! (Full of Protein and Fibre too)

3x2ot8oqri84.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Was pretty pleased with second attempt at copycat air fried KFC. The copycat slaw is the version I grew up with in Canada. No carrots and more pulverized than the American recipe. I should have used flour to coat the chicken but we had run out so a tablespoon of spice mixture was added to a tablespoon of potato starch and 2 tablespoons corn meal. Hubby made mash and I pulled out some leftover gravy from the freezer. Besides the KFC imitations we had grilled lettuces.
    This is the spice mix I used, which tastes a lot like KFC to me. I made a jar for the pantry without the flour and add 1 part spice mixture to 3 parts flour like substance. I did blitz the spice mix in the food processor because I think those black flecks in KFC batter are blitzed dried herbs such as oregano and thyme. The first time I tried this the chicken wasn't as salty as KFC so I added salt to the buttermilk marinade this time which came out perfect. Boneless skinless thigh strips went for 10 minutes at 200C in the air fryer (or oven).
    https://www.rockrecipes.com/copycat-kfc/
    gi7z831r4meb.jpeg

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Lemon tart:
    r0dyctixe4ln.jpg
    Chocolate pop tarts:
    zevp9wa3p7b9.jpg

OMG this belongs in the "if it didn't have calories" thread too. I'd like the whole pie and all those pastries please.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 576 Member
    Lemon tart:
    r0dyctixe4ln.jpg
    Chocolate pop tarts:
    zevp9wa3p7b9.jpg

OMG this belongs in the "if it didn't have calories" thread too. I'd like the whole pie and all those pastries please.

Yeah, the calories on these were pretty sad! The 8" lemon tart cut into 10 pieces came out to 377 calories for a tiny piece, and the chocolate pop tarts were 300 for a 4"x6" piece. So hard to fit in a piece of either of them!
  • Spam2000times
    Spam2000times Posts: 241 Member
    g7aotmtbddj4.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Leftovers for breakfast. Last night attempted copycat KFC in the air fryer with copycat slaw. I used the recipe leaked by the Chicago Tribune but will reduce ginger and paprika next time, I think. My slaw was spot on. Secret ingredient there is a little grated raw onion. I dressed with ranch with added sugar and tarragon vinegar which I prefer over the original that tastes like sweetened mayonaise which is very rich.
    vnyq1yjl26w9.jpeg
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Chocolate pop tarts:
    OK Miss PP......need some derails on this please. ???
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Leftovers for breakfast. Last night attempted copycat KFC in the air fryer with copycat slaw. I used the recipe leaked by the Chicago Tribune but will reduce ginger and paprika next time, I think. My slaw was spot on. Secret ingredient there is a little grated raw onion. I dressed with ranch with added sugar and tarragon vinegar which I prefer over the original that tastes like sweetened mayonaise which is very rich.
    vnyq1yjl26w9.jpeg
    I saw this too but haven’t tried it. How do you rate the chicken copy? Thanks. Your stuff always is inspiring!

• acpgee
    kcmcbee wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    I saw this too but haven’t tried it. How do you rate the chicken copy? Thanks. Your stuff always is inspiring!

I made a jar of the spice mix without the flour and mix a tablespoon of spice mix with a tablespoon of potato starch and 2 tablespoons of unorthodox corn meal which I prefer to the plain flour the recipe calls for. I coat the chicken by shaking in a plastic bag with the dry ingredients, shake n bake style. Pretty close to KFC but I will reduce both ginger and paprika by half next time I make the spice mix. I blitzed the dried herbs such as oregano, basil, thyme in the food processor because I think that is what those little black flecks you see in the batter of real KFC are. The Chicago Tribune recipe is less salty than KFC, so after first attempt I now add salt to the buttermilk marinade to brine the chicken overnight. I did a taste test with a small order of KFC popcorn chicken and the meat was salty all the way through, not only on the surface, so I suspect they salt the marinade too.

Pretty happy with the result. It smells like KFC but tastes a little more gingery and a little less peppery. In one experiment I double dredged as in the KFC extra crispy version, but that was too much. Sticking to single dredge in the future. I air fry the chicken, but baking in a convection oven would work too. I don't bother spraying with oil if using skin on pieces. The one time I tried with skinless boneless thigh strips I sprayed with oil. Be careful about burning the spice mix. The paprika is the culprit (I tested the 11 herbs and spices by popping them onto a muffin tin in the oven). That is my motivation for reducing the paprika next time I put together the spice mix.
  • acpgee
    Hubby cooked. Dutch macaroni ham and cheese and a salad with ranch.
    olqgutlpj1h5.jpeg