Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    You can do this!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    *sigh*

My sister's internet modem went out and the cable company won't get a tech here until Thursday (would have been earlier if she had just listened to me when I told her on Sunday what the problem was and if she'd called on Monday instead of yesterday......)

Anyway, so she's at my house on my laptop because she can't go another week without facebook......

And when she's on facebook, she listens to all the videos, songs, and talks out loud on what she is reading. *sigh* So I'm sitting at my computer with my lawn mowing bluetooth earmuffs on, listening to my own music to drown her out.......
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I've been shopping in the big girl stores for so long I don't know how to act in regular size stores. It used to be I'd find my section, pick something that fit and I even remotely liked and get that. Do I have a style? I don't know!! It's overwhelming to walk into Dillards and try to figure out where to go...there are clothes everywhere!!
  • While I'm thankful for my mother for trying ....

I'm looking at these Lays potato chips "50% less sodium" with a mean mug

While it does provide lots of potassium ....the cons are lots of sodium, carbs and trans fat

Also she bought Tortilla wraps, Turkey meat for Turkey burgers

She did get what I told her ...Which is Planter's"Deluxe" Cashews and Family pack of Trail mix also another pack of salad

The biggest test for me is Portion control ...

The chips, tortilla wraps are giving me mix feelings

Also in past I've had history of making 3 burgers and mountain of chips ...

So food selection and portion control will be tested no doubt

I do hope everyone is having amazing week

Best thing I did for myself regarding chips was to give up buying the large bags and start using the single-serve bags. Yes, they're more expensive. (sigh) But they control portions for you, and that was very important at first because my portion was a handful, which I now know is about four portions.

It also helped me to eat off smaller plates most of the time. It does trick your eye into making you feel your portion is bigger or smaller. I actually have accrued a lot of small plates and bowls that we use for things like trail mix and side dishes and dipping sauces. If the bowl is larger, we put more in, it's natural.
  • bmeadows380
    Best thing I did for myself regarding chips was to give up buying the large bags and start using the single-serve bags. Yes, they're more expensive. (sigh) But they control portions for you, and that was very important at first because my portion was a handful, which I now know is about four portions.

It also helped me to eat off smaller plates most of the time. It does trick your eye into making you feel your portion is bigger or smaller. I actually have accrued a lot of small plates and bowls that we use for things like trail mix and side dishes and dipping sauces. If the bowl is larger, we put more in, it's natural.

When I buy chips, this is what I've been doing and trying to convince my mother to do the same (that's an uphill battle). For the camping trip, I bought a box of the single serving chips. My dad's doctor has him counting carbs for his diabetes and trying to get some weight off, but getting mom to realize that she has to weigh everything for an accurate carb count is not easy! And my dad is the same - give him a full size bag of chips and he's downing 4 servings at once; with the single size bags, mom can know what he consumed for sure for the carb count.

papayahed wrote: »
    I've been shopping in the big girl stores for so long I don't know how to act in regular size stores. It used to be I'd find my section, pick something that fit and I even remotely liked and get that. Do I have a style? I don't know!! It's overwhelming to walk into Dillards and try to figure out where to go...there are clothes everywhere!!

I'm starting to figure out my style - a country girl/retro look, it appears lol I like the retro style dresses, though I still haven't gotten small enough to get into them yet, and I'm a fan of plaid shirts too (my sister in law rolls her eyes at all my button down plaid shirts :smiley: )

What I want to know, however, is why most of the clothes in the ladies' sections of clothing stores are all for young adults and a style that suits a 22 year old and definitely NOT a 40 year old?!!! No - I don't want to show my belly button; no, I don't want my shorts to be daisy dukes; no, I don't want holes already in my pants; no, I don't want my shirts cut down to my belly button......
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    bmeadows380
    My wife complains about this all the time.....so she buys a lot of her clothes from the thrift store...people are evidently getting rid of their "old fashioned" clothes
  • conniewilkins56
    I am a jeans,sweater and sneaker kind of girl!...when I get dressed to go someplace nice I like straight leg dressy trousers,bright colored tops and low heels or sandals!

• What I want to know, however, is why most of the clothes in the ladies' sections of clothing stores are all for young adults and a style that suits a 22 year old and definitely NOT a 40 year old?!!! No - I don't want to show my belly button; no, I don't want my shorts to be daisy dukes; no, I don't want holes already in my pants; no, I don't want my shirts cut down to my belly button......

I know what my style is, I'm just waiting for my body to be that shape. I need a waist smaller than bust and hips to wear what I like. I like the '50s, and I really like a lot of historical fashion. And I can make myself dresses just fine once I have a waist again. Gothic fitted dresses cut to mid-calf instead of instep with elbow-length sleeves work just fine for everyday wear.

• emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    @papayahed I work as a personal stylist and I love hearing people talk about their style. I personally never had much of a problem finding plus-sized clothes I liked because I'm pretty resourceful and in the know when it comes to different size-inclusive brands but your post is one of my biggest what ifs. I know how to dress straight-sized people but how would I dress myself if I had endless choices? I genuinely fear for my wallet if I ever wind up straight-sized.

Just as a little tip, if you're trying to figure out what you like style-wise, Pinterest is a great place to start. Pop anything you like onto a style board and see if you (or someone else!) can find some connecting threads (colors, details, silhouettes, etc.) that will help you narrow down what you're looking for.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Scale went up today. Blah. I knew that it would from all the water I drank over the weekend. Camping when it is 105 outside makes for some crazy increases in water consumption. I also didn't sleep all weekend (I really HATE camping). I'm sure those things caused the scale to show stupid numbers but fat brain is still there egging me on!
  • conniewilkins56
    Up 2 down 1 up 2 down 2....blah blah blah!....I wonder if “The Process” is still working for me?...I have exercised more than I ever have in my life and my scales refuse to co operate!....I am logging my food,weighing, measuring etc...if I ever see 259 on my scales I will do a semi cartwheel!....Help!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Work is exhausting this week.
    I have some work drama that I keep feeling like is my fault (even though I know it isn't). It triggers my anxiety, which then makes think about it even more, which makes me more anxious...

I took an anxiety pill last night, and one this morning. (None of the good stuff lol, just a benadryl type thing. It helps some, but usually knocks me out for a few hours). I don't take them very often, just when I need some extra help to break out of the anxiety spiral. I'm getting better at this, but it is exhausting.

I'd really like a long nap and a long weekend, but I have so much to do. I could use a vacation. Or just a really, really long nap.

• bmeadows380
    Up 2 down 1 up 2 down 2....blah blah blah!....I wonder if “The Process” is still working for me?...I have exercised more than I ever have in my life and my scales refuse to co operate!....I am logging my food,weighing, measuring etc...if I ever see 259 on my scales I will do a semi cartwheel!....Help!

I can sympathize - water weight is killing me! I was up 10 lbs at the maximum on Sunday morning; its down to 8 lbs water this morning, which is actually surprising considering the jiu-jitsu session I had yesterday and meaning it is slowly coming back off, but its taking it good old sweet time. Heat and humidity is that double wallop when it comes to water and all we can do is wait it out. I hate waiting things out......
  • Up 2 down 1 up 2 down 2....blah blah blah!....I wonder if “The Process” is still working for me?...I have exercised more than I ever have in my life and my scales refuse to co operate!....I am logging my food,weighing, measuring etc...if I ever see 259 on my scales I will do a semi cartwheel!....Help!

My body did that too last month, but I'm now doing the pound-or-two variation dance down at 255. I know that at some point I will suddenly drop five pounds in two days and then do this again for another three weeks.
  • conniewilkins56

My body did that too last month, but I'm now doing the pound-or-two variation dance down at 255. I know that at some point I will suddenly drop five pounds in two days and then do this again for another three weeks.

It makes you very frustrated when you are doing thing right and the scales won’t move...I try weighing daily and then I try weekly!...I was ok yesterday and then today back up two pounds!...hopefully a big loss is on the way!...I haven’t binged and I haven’t had the urge to for some time....But I know me and I know I need to see the scales move or I will jump off the wagon!...I am hanging on....hanging on is not what I want to be doing!...
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    @conniewilkins56 You may feel like you're barely hanging on but we are here beside you and if you fall off the wagon we'll pick you up and throw you back on...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    When I was a teen I hovered at the weight I am now. I tried to lose but because I expected linear results on the scale I kept making things worse for myself. It is funny how all these years later and a lot of pounds later that I could be that kid again in frustration. Perhaps not completely because I do know better now but I have definitely felt it the last couple of days. I have even had some doubts about my numbers but my rational brain knows that without stronger evidence the numbers are good enough for progress.

Today is kind of different though which makes no sense as I am still 6.3 pounds above where I "should be." I kind of feel like the new low will show up soon. It is supposed to be slightly cooler here the rest of the week which might help and all of the hot and sweaty yard work is done as of yesterday. I need to run the trimmer and spray some round-up but that is light duty compared to pushing the mower for almost 8 miles in 2 days. I know... I should use the riding lawn mower more. I fully intended to do half and half in the backyard but I got stuck in "just a little more" mode until it would have been ridiculous to get the big mower out for what was left. I am paying for it today since my step count hit 30k yesterday which means with the 12k steps I have already done today I have moved quite a bit in the last 24 hours. Ice packs, ibuprofen, and the foot roller will be in today's forecast.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

It makes you very frustrated when you are doing thing right and the scales won’t move...I try weighing daily and then I try weekly!...I was ok yesterday and then today back up two pounds!...hopefully a big loss is on the way!...I haven’t binged and I haven’t had the urge to for some time....But I know me and I know I need to see the scales move or I will jump off the wagon!...I am hanging on....hanging on is not what I want to be doing!...

Are you using a trend weight app? My scale weight is up/down as much as 5lbs per day every other day so I focus on my trendweight over the last 7 days. I try to focus on non-scale goals and let the process run it's course. If my trendweight starts heading upwards rather than downwards any time other then TOTM/ovulation then I know it's time to rein in my logging.

You've been doing a fantastic job with your weight loss, you've had consistent losses every month!