Regaining weight, struggling to motivate for round 2.

CorvusCorax77
CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
edited August 2020 in Success Stories
(ETA: i didn't realize i was posting in "Success Stories"... and now I can't figure out how to delete it. Sorry!)

I started MFP in 2010 at approx 182 lbs (I'm 5'4). In four months I got down to 155. A few more months, I was 145. A year later I was down to 123. I decided at that point to start lifting weight, and slowly gained back up to 135-145, which I consider to be my healthiest size. In November 2016, I let myself creep into the 150's, which then crept into the 160's. I was hospitalized in 2018 and got back into the 180's.... anyways.... Today, I'm floating around 165-170.

Here's what I am interested in talking with folks about.... I managed to lose 50 lbs and maintain a healthy weight (under 145) for at least six years, but obviously my food addiction issue has come back. I have for the last two years been saying "enough is enough!" and tracking calories and working out, and then obviously not doing it enough to really make a change. I just don't see why else I would still weigh this much- I know I have no medical excuse. I'm simply finding it harder to do this a second time around. I don't know if it's age, or if I am just less bothered by the weight or what. I am less bothered because I know I'm smaller at 170 now than I was before because I still exercise and lift. But I also know I can't fit into my old clothes- I feel a lot of fatigue, i feel less attractive than I did at 123, and I know it isn't as good for my health as it would be to be at a healthy weight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on how to overcome? FTR I'm 42 years old now. Maybe it's just age? HELP!

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited August 2020
    I really sympathise, and am also back and losing back to the weight I maintained for several years. There is a great thread in the motivation section with inspiration for people starting again. The link is here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10798521/inspo-for-people-that-lost-and-gained-again-post-here/p1.
  • CorvusCorax77
    BobPulaski wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're only looking for female input but I'm the same age as you and have had a similar history. I got in shape back in 2011 and had a great time doing it & actually ENJOYED it but eventually let it slip away and ended up as large as I started. I decided "enough is enough" back in 2017 and lost lots of weight again and have kept it off but honestly, it was rough.

We all know it's not easy but it was harder than the first time. I feel like age is a huge factor and although I wouldn't have the same potential hormonal deal as you (someone mentioned as a possibility above), testosterone production in men goes way down after 40. Plus, we just get old! I often wake up sore for no reason and it takes me longer to get going in the morning. Can't just spring out of bed any more.

Another thing that made the process more challenging for me the second time around is the fact that I knew how hard it was and my fat self ruined it by having to do it all over. I eventually just forced myself to exercise at least 4 times per week and log everything that went in my mouth. I lost the weight in 6 months and have (thankfully) kept it off but it was a long 6 months.

It's different for everyone but no matter who you are, it's a challenge.

Thanks! I wasn't just looking for female input. I'm in denial that there may be some sort of perimenopause thing happening. I also have PCOS which is a pain.

It helps to know that it's just a little harder as you age. I have chronic fatigue and I'm not sure if the fatigue is from stress, if it's from age, or if it's from the extra weight. I'm going to send you a friend request!
  • CorvusCorax77
    charmmeth wrote: »
    I really sympathise, and am also back and losing back to the weight I maintained for several years. There is a great thread in the motivation section with inspiration for people starting again. The link is here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10798521/inspo-for-people-that-lost-and-gained-again-post-here/p1.

Thank you so much! I'm going to join this thread.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Dootzy1 wrote: »
    Maybe you have some hormonal things happening that make it more challenging now? I know that I've been up and down the scale through my adult life, more than once. In maintenance now, but have been eating way too much for the last week. I know I have to avoid "looking back", or I get discouraged, throw my hands up, and say what the heck....You know the drill, make a good habit, try to build on good habits, and don't get freaked out about scale fluctuations when you are on track. Look at yourself "at a distance" and coach yourself the way you would coach a friend. :)

BTW-- it is good that you posted in success stories, because you have maintained some of the weight loss and exercise habits.

You're so sweet. Thank you. I wish I could blame all my regained weight on my hospitalization, but I can't lol. Still, I did get back into the 160's after being in the 180's when I was sick.
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    I have no tips other than to say I'm in a similar boat right now. I started out at 179 (I'm 5'3) and got down to about 135 last December and have been creeping up lately and am sitting about 146-148 right now. Its really tough, the world is hard right now and it's easy to just eat and not hold yourself accountable. Happy to be a friend and an accountabili-buddy if you need one :) I'm trying to do what i did when i first started which is to focus on eating well and tracking everything, for me, when i stop tracking is when i gain. If I am consistently tracking I am being consistent about what i am putting in my body and therefore it's not a costco sized bag of chips! So, thats what I'm focusing on right now, just going for a full month of non-stop tracking.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Been there! I'm in my 50s. I dropped 100 lbs in 2014. I maintained for a year. Over the next 4 years it all crept back. You mentioned comfort food; that was a big part for me. I did a reset about a month ago, and started a "diet" where I eat the number of calories needed to maintain my target weight, working out foods that are nutritious, filling, and stay within my allotted calorie count. My intent is to focus on a food mix that I can sustain permanently. I allow myself one comfort food meal and one dessert per week. It doesn't feel so painful this way as total avoidance did. I dropped a quick 20, but going forward I'm happy to drop 1 lb per week as I head back toward my goal. Best of luck!
  • SailorDH
    SailorDH Posts: 13 Member
    I feel your pain - I have done very significant weight losses (over 100lbs) 3X in my life- each time committing that I would not let the weight back on. Most recently was 2018 - and I have kept most of that weight off since then - although that is only a year and half - I am taking some solace that I have realized where I am and taking action now and committing to getting back to my goal weight in the next few months.

I have no magic ideas - just going back to what I know works for me - which is pretty basic - eating right and staying active with some sort of daily workout either a run, a bike ride, or even a good walk.

As you can see - this is a big club - take pride in that actions you are taking - that is a victory right there. You have done this before -you know you can - take pride in the little victories - every day you stick to your plan, every workout you do - rather than staying in bed, every dessert you pass over - you will get there - as will I.
  • CorvusCorax77
    The one thought I do like to hold on to is that all of the work I have done has kept me as healthy as I am. Had I not lost 50 lbs ten years ago, I'd probably be 50 lbs heavier now.

I also think perimenopause is real and affecting things. Last week I was 165. THis week I am 172. I feel awful- nauseous, bloated, my breasts hurt like they have been filled to max capacity. It's water weight. I know that. It's also miserable and it wasn't like this in my 30's. PMS has gotten harder too with age. So there's fatigue, PMS, aches in joints... but there's also looking in the mirror and seeing a chubby me as beautiful so... 40's are quite a trip.
  • StephanieLWS
    StephanieLWS Posts: 22 Member
    You can do it! You did it the first time. You can do it again. I know that you can! I believe in you :)
  • hildegard7
    hildegard7 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I lost 8# in 6wks and was off to a good start. I had my labs checked after my 8# loss and all my numbers improved signifigantly. Over the last 2 weeks I gained the weight back. I let my guard down and stopped tracking on MFP and didnt exercise 5x/week as I had done over the 6 weeks of weight loss. I am so down. I am starting back at square 1 and tracking and exercising 5/week or more. The best thing is I know I can do it again. I just wish I wouldn"t have slid back into my old eating habits!
    Also I had stopped alcohol for those 6 wks and that really helped my weight loss... Thanks for listening!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!