August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,701 Member
    I'm so sorry @hamsterwheel6 for your loss and that you can't travel to mourn him together with other family members.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @Scott6255 Glad you are almost back to normal and congrats on meeting your monthly goal already!

@Teresa502 THREE miles of hill repeats! That's awesome! Definitely more than I did!

@hamsterwheel6 So sorry for your loss and that you can't go there to be with your family. Good for you to get out and run anyway.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @hamsterwheel6 I’m so sorry about your cousin.

@marisap2010 Glad your test came back negative!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    I'm sp sorry for your loss @hamsterwheel6 and so sorry you can't be there. Big hugs to you!

@marisap2010 I'm so glad your test came back negative.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    August Goal: 100 Miles

8/2: 10.52 miles
    8/4: 6.40 miles
    8/5: 6.52 miles
    8/6: 6.22 miles
    8/9: 11.02 miles
    8/11: 5.51 miles
    8/12: 6.05 miles
    8/13: 6.02 miles
    8/16: 10.13 miles
    8:17: 6.51 miles
    8:19: 6.62 miles

81.52/100 miles completed for August

897.53/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 6.6 miles this morning and it was a beautiful 66°F. It was a lovely run. It was so nice to start out cool after running at 85°F at 6 in the morning.  I am "on vacation" so I drove over to my sister's house (outside of Ft. Worth) and kept my mom company for a while. My dad is doing a lot better, but he can only have 1 visitor dor the duration of the rehab stay so my sister has been going.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run. It may not be as cool, but it should still be nice. I may even sleep in and run at 7 instead of 5:45. 😊

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @hamsterwheel6 I am so sorry for your loss.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2020
    Since I haven’t get well lately, last night was the first run without any walking that I’ve done in over a week. It was hot, but I decided to do at least 20 minutes tempo last night with a short build up and cool down.

I am almost at my weight goal, a weight that has eluded me for about 15 years! I have decided my next goal will be to feel somewhat comfortable in a two piece bathing suit, which I have never worn. I already do some strength training, but if anyone has any good exercises, particularly for abs, let me know. Not trying to get a six pack or anything, just interested in any suggestions to make the flabby bits slightly less flabby. 🤣
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Since I haven’t get well lately, last night was the first run without any walking that I’ve done in over a week. It was hot, but I decided to do at least 20 minutes tempo last night with a short build up and cool down.

I am almost at my weight goal, a weight that has eluded me for about 15 years! I have decided my next goal will be to feel somewhat comfortable in a two piece bathing suit, which I have never worn. I already do some strength training, but if anyone has any good exercises, particularly for abs, let me know. Not trying to get a six pack or anything, just interested in any suggestions to make the flabby bits slightly less flabby. 🤣
    Ab roller! You can get a cheap one or use a dumbbell. I started out with diastasis recti from my huge belly and no muscle tone to speak of, and of all the abs exercises this was the one which worked best for me. I have seen big buff men cry the first time using an ab roller. And unlike every other abs exercise it works on the eccentric, which is better for strength building.

Apart from that, all the big compound lifts hit your core - squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, bent over rows. Plus bigger muscles all over will make the flabby bits less flabby while at the same weight.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @kgirlhart Glad you had a great run and hopefully this morning is just as pleasant. Also glad your dad is doing well. Hope he doesn't have to stay in rehab too long.

@marisap2010 Yeah for being at your goal weight! I have no help with toning the abs, except for sit ups. I need to start doing some strength and core training to help mine too.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member

Ab roller! You can get a cheap one or use a dumbbell. I started out with diastasis recti from my huge belly and no muscle tone to speak of, and of all the abs exercises this was the one which worked best for me. I have seen big buff men cry the first time using an ab roller. And unlike every other abs exercise it works on the eccentric, which is better for strength building.

Apart from that, all the big compound lifts hit your core - squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, bent over rows. Plus bigger muscles all over will make the flabby bits less flabby while at the same weight.

All of this. I think I got my roller on Amazon. I wasn't coordinated enough to use a swiss ball or dumbbell. I'd also throw in planks and the many variations.

Lift heavy and clean up diet. They aren't kidding when they say abs are made in the kitchen.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso I am laughing at all the ab toning talk.

Not that I don’t have them. But as I was reading “abs are made in the kitchen,” I was both agreeing with you and opening some weird cheap trash coffee cake.

I’ve really let my intake go this week.

The rest of the day will be pretty clean eating - this will be the highest caloric intake of the day.

Did some PT exercises and strength yesterday in my office since the servers are down. Will do that again this morning. Three days til Aravaipa’s “sinister” challenge. Grateful for the ability to keep going and training!

Was thinking this morning about running in the cold again. Which temperature I prefer. Fall, probably. I don’t miss running in ice and snow....

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    8/1 - 5 mile trail race
    8/2 - 4 with Skip and Champ
    8/3 – rest day
    8/4 – 6
    8/5 – 5 with Champ
    8/6 – 5
    8/7 – 3 with Champ
    8/8 – 5
    8/9 – 0 drove Skip to college move in
    8/10 – 3
    8/11 – drove home from college move in
    8/12 – 3 with Champ
    8/13 – 0
    8/14 – 5
    8/15 – 10K Scooby Doo Family and Pet Virtual Run
    8/16 – 5 with Champ on trails
    8/17 – 5
    8/18 – 4 with Champ
    8/19 – 5
    8/20 – 5 with Champ

74 of 115 miles

@hamsterwheel6 I’m so sorry.
    @marisap2010 glad you are feeling better, congrats on the weight loss. Skip’s trainer swears by the medicine ball.
    @rheddmobile great picture
    @RunsOnEspresso did you get your Scooby Doo swag? Skip got hers, it’s so nice. Sorry about the fires, stay safe.
    me6mxfa3qgs5.jpg

xtr4qoa4umu8.jpg

l0gelwa4q29j.jpg

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach – done
    Scooby Doo Virtual 10K - done
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person – done
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – August - done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K – 9/14 – 30/2020
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April