Pre-logging - just curious

I fell off the MFP wagon for quite a while and now that I'm back on I've been pre-logging my next day's food every night. It feels a little obsessive but it makes my days easy because I've already got a map that fits my calories and macros. Does anyone else do this? How much time/effort do you spend on it?

(I'm not totally rigid and do make adjustments during the day as necessary, it's just a good guide)

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I do!!
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    I do, too!
    In general, I prelog my dinner (my most abundant meal) in the morning. In this way, I know how many calories I can distribute throughout the day and in case adjust my macros. It takes me only a few minutes, really not a big deal, but I found it very helpful!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Mostly. I'll prelog meals and then snacks etc fit around the remaining calories.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    I pre-log too! It changes throughout the day (might not have as many leftovers or may feel hungrier) but I like a basic idea of what my options are, calorie-wise :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I pre-log in the morning, before breakfast. I may make some changes throughout the day, but at least I know where I can make those changes since I pre-logged.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Yup, Pre-logging is essential for me. I’ve gotten into a groove where I know generally how many calories each meal ends up being (for weekdays, breakfasts between 200 and 275, lunches between 400 and 500, snack between 200 and 300, dessert between 300 and 400, and dinner is whatever is left over from that (usually 600-800)).

I usually prep lunches on Sundays, so I’ll Pre-log those. I’ll usually prep a breakfast the night before, so I’ll Pre-log that. Afternoon snacks are logged at the same time depending on what I have in the house. Then I put in a food entry called “calories” (350 calories) in my dessert meal. That allows me to see how many calories I have for dinner. Then, for whatever we’re having for dinner that night (usually we’ll decide in the afternoon), I’ll make my serving, sides, and condiments fit my remaining calories.

Then after dinner, I’ll take out the “calories” entry and log in what I plan to have for dessert that evening, using up those last ~350 calories.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I fell off the MFP wagon for quite a while and now that I'm back on I've been pre-logging my next day's food every night. It feels a little obsessive but it makes my days easy because I've already got a map that fits my calories and macros. Does anyone else do this? How much time/effort do you spend on it?

(I'm not totally rigid and do make adjustments during the day as necessary, it's just a good guide)

The bolded is the only part that matters. Do what is easiest. Ignore that it feels obsessive unless it becomes truly obsessive. It does not make any difference what others do because they are not you or they may not be at the same stage you are in. I certainly pre-logged in the beginning but only rarely do it now.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    I definitely prelog. My husband cooks on weekdays, so if I don't scan labels for ingredients the night before they're thrown out by the time I'm home.
    At the same time I'm flexible too, I'll happily delete my entry again if I decide on a different lunch or if husband decided to cook something different.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I plan a whole week ahead (spreadsheet or drywipe planner on my fridge rather than logging) so if pre-logging a day ahead is obsessive I need help :lol: .

I think as long as you're open to a little flexibility it's more than ok, if you're stressing because you can't stick 100% to what you've planned, that's when it could be problematic.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I pre-log each morning/afternoon for the following day. I also do it because it makes my life easier, especially when it comes to making sure I'm planning to get enough protein and fat. I usually log my base calories and then make up the rest by logging any snacks, extra vegetables, or alcoholic drinks same day.

If I have to make a change (I'm out of something, my husband proposes going out to dinner on the spur of the moment, I'd really rather have carrots than broccoli, etc), I don't get stressed about it. That's a big change between now and a few years ago -- I used to be more rigid, but it really didn't make me happy so I decided to change.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,349 Member
    I’m sitting here right now moving my evening snack into the breakfast slot (because an iced smoothie just sounded good after a long morning walk), coming up with a new evening snack, realizing the chunk of chicken I planned for dinner isn't as large as I thought it was, and trying to squeeze in more protein as a result. Hello, steak salad.......with bacon? Hmmmm, the possibilities are endless.

If it’s obsessive, it’s likely because I find it all so interesting, even nearly two years in. And extremely helpful in staying on track, of course.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,349 Member
    It’s like.......this:

4aqmk0rdyach.jpeg
  • FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    I tend to pre log breakfast and lunch the day before as I prepare on the evening.
    My evening meal varies, if it’s something prepackaged I’ll just scan it there and then. If it’s something else like jackets with a side, I’ll search my last recent entry for that and add it, just so I have a rough idea of how many calories I have to play with (of course I then make sure I weigh out my portion before I eat and update as required).

If it’s something my partners preparing, then I just log before I have the meal. Her cookings great but the not knowing what to expect on the numbers leaves me nervous sometimes!
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I pre-log in the morning so I know which snacks I can choose for the day.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Sometimes I'll pre-log the week.
    I eat a standard breakfast at work, and I plan what lunches I'll bring to work throughout the week, so I can always pre-log two of meals for 5 days. Dinner will be what we have at home that fits remaining calories and how much I feel like cooking that day
  • Jelly1967
    Jelly1967 Posts: 5 Member
    I pre-log in the morning so I know which snacks I can choose for the day.

This is what I do. Takes the stress out and if I don't have time later it's already done
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 988 Member
    I do it. It takes five minutes. It’s fun to see a giant list and know my goal is to EAT IT ALL
  • Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
    I also pre log the night before. It may change during the day but it helps me budget my calories throughout the day.

It's all about finding what works for you. Best wishes 🙂
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    I do it the night before or the morning of. I find it less stressful than to eat up your calorie allowance before 3pm