July 2020 Group

Steve25k
Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
Is there anyone who has started in July 2020?

I started last week so today was week 2 day 1 for me. So far, so good, although I have quite a bit of pain in my left shin during the walking sections. I'm guessing it's to be expected when you're lugging 280lbs about.

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    I finished C25K last week, but I'm going to continue doing it so I'll join the group.

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I'm not sure if you should continue pushing through the pain or let it heal first, perhaps someone more experienced can give you proper advice. I wish you all the best, though. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Steve25k wrote: »

I started last week so today was week 2 day 1 for me. So far, so good, although I have quite a bit of pain in my left shin during the walking sections. I'm guessing it's to be expected when you're lugging 280lbs about.

Have you been fitted for good running shoes?
  • Steve25k
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Have you been fitted for good running shoes?

Yep thanks, I got some Brooks fitted at the local running store - they did a gait analysis and recommended these.

The shoes are good although I preferred my old Nike free shoes that had very little support.

I suspect it's just my muscles getting tired and tight and causing my left foot to flop around. I'm about 60lbs heavier that when I last ran anywhere so everything is probably in shock. A friend recommended some stretching that I'm going to try.
  • Steve25k
    Week 2 day 2 today. I found that by slowing down the pain in my left shin was much less. So from a pain point of view today's session was fine, it didn't stop my heart feeling like it was going to explode.
  • GummiMundi
    @Steve25k I'm glad to know the pain is lessening, but please take it easy. Perhaps you need to slow down even more. When I started I was running so slow that my fitbit didn't even recognize it as running, but rather as walking. ;) And that's okay, you can work on speed later on.
    It's normal for the heart to beat faster when we run, but not so much that if feels like it's going to explode, like you described. So, slow down even more, if you need.
  • Steve25k
    Week 3 day 1 complete today. I'm using the NHS podcasts rather than any apps. It seems to work for me.

Slowing down has made a big difference to the pain and therefore the enjoyment of running. I actually didn't mind the 3 minutes today and I'm quite looking forward to 5 minutes next week.
  • GummiMundi
    Week 3 day 1 complete today. I'm using the NHS podcasts rather than any apps. It seems to work for me.

Slowing down has made a big difference to the pain and therefore the enjoyment of running. I actually didn't mind the 3 minutes today and I'm quite looking forward to 5 minutes next week.

The NHS podcasts are great! :)

Good thing the pain is subsiding and that your enjoyment is growing. Keep up that good work! :)
  • Steve25k
    Ok so minor hiccup in training. I went to France where it want practical to run - it was 38C most days.
    I'm now on quarantine for the next 14 days so no running for me until September.
    I'm going to pick it back up in September.
  • Steve25k
    First day out of quarantine today so I started week 4 day 1 - I couldn't remember where I got to.

The 5 minute run was fine, probably the most comfortable I've been while running, so that was good news.

Glad I'm back on the programme.
  • GummiMundi
    It's a great thing that you resumed your running habits. Welcome back! :)