The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Thats awesome @donimfp
    And 43 days is amazing! Getting and staying sober is worth whatever the cost. So happy for you!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    + 1 makes 479
    Congrats to all who are adding a sober day, whether it's the first or the eleventy fortieth.
    Building a fence in the heat and the dust makes me want a beer at the end of the day. Iced tea is just as good.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    @donimfp Congrats!! I love hearing the insightful things you learned. I love hearing from different perspectives about the thing we have in common- sobriety. I look forward to hearing where you go next- what's next on your journey. It seems like 6 weeks went fast- probably not for you. But I am impressed Kate was a participant and not just collecting the money.

• RubyRed427
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Congratulations on 43 days @donimfp that's fab👍🏼 I remember back in 2011 when I first tried to get sober I was SO excited when I hit 10 days 😳 I didn't start drinking until I was 32 and quickly became an everyday/all day drinker for 7 years straight, I'm sure I've told that story before but I am so glad I'm not that stupid beech anymore! Not to berate myself but I really should have reigned it in earlier, sounds like your course was just what you needed and that's fantastic, hot as heck here and my son totalled the car that had a/c(he's fine, car is not) so I'm driving in Vegas in 114 degree weather trying to deliver groceries haha, at least I'm not sweating alcohol out, God I remember those sweats😖 painful and itchy just gross! Waves to the gang and wishes for a happy AF day 💖

It does seem 10 days makes such a different in everything- body, mind and spirit. The anxiety lessens and the body is so relieved not to process ethanol.

You've been doing so well!! I love hearing from you.
  • RubyRed427
    Reading over all the posts, so inspiring ! 😊

Well. I messed up. I knew that social occasions were gona be my Achilles heel. I drank (heavily) on Friday evening. And I had 1 beer today (which I plan to be the last) drank today as there was 1 beer left over and I have spent the past few days beating myself up for drinking again. So I'v not been feeling so good. But I'm done beating myself up time to get back on the wagon.

No worries! I know it can be disappointing at first but we sure do learn and grow from those hard times.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    @donimfp I watched see YouTube video being circulated when covid frost started and the guy said to take zinc and drink tonic water cuz of the quinine in it, I had never had tonic before so I was shocked at how much it tasted "boozy" to me so that with grapefruit juice mist really pack a punch! Glad you found a good alternative 🤗 6:32 am in Vegas another 24,hope everyone has a great AF day🌷
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Instead of the cheap grocery store brand seltzer I indulged in a couple of $2.00 bottles of Perrier. Oh I felt fancy! I threw a couple frozen berries in there and had myself a party. I'm on day 8 of the alcohol experiment and I'm feeling very positive and happy that I am redoing this. Apparently I need the structure and lessons. My skin looks MUCH better and I am very happy and feel like mood is much more stable. Also watching the news much less is making a world of difference.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Good for you, @JenT304! I keep Perrier and San Pellegrino in business. I just ordered--as a reward for reaching Day 50 this coming Monday--a bottle of "High Rhode" "euphoric" from Kin Euphorics. These things were highly recommended by a person in the Sober School discussion threads. It's not cheap, which is why I'm getting it as a splurge/reward, but I'll let y'all know what I think. Basically, these are non-alcoholic drinks (which they call "euphorics") intended to be enjoyed just as alcoholic drinks are--happy hour, relaxation times, etc. It may be just Goop-type hype. But I'm going to give the High Rhode a try because it sounds like it's got the bitter, earthy quality I look(ed) for in alcoholic drinks. Their marketing is aimed at having it in bars as a fancy AF substitute.
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp Let us know how you like the High Rhode. I am bored with Perrier.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @RubyRed427, I"ll definitely post a "review" after I try the High Rhode. It sounds intriguing. I've gotten into a routine of having grapefruit juice, diet tonic, Perrier and lime (all together) as my "decompress after work" drink. Then Yogi tea and Perrier/Pellegrino toward bed time. I still feel the need to be drinking something, and I don't care for sweet things. So the tonic has provided some of the bitterness I want.

I feel for you and other teachers right now. I'm back at school in juvie, but we have such an easy situation compared to you guys in regular school. Our kids have been locked up since before the pandemic hit, so they are pretty safe unless one of us or one of the guards is stupid when off campus. We are all wearing masks, distancing, sanitizing desks and chairs and pencils (since they can't bring them in and out and have to share them) between each class. I really don't know how you guys in public schools are managing. My brother-in-law is a superintendent in Ohio, and he has spent his whole spring and summer fielding concerns from parents and teachers. At least I know he's an administrator who really cares about his teachers as well as the students and parents. But it's so hard to know what to do! I wish you the very best, Ruby! Dealing with incompetent or uncaring administrators is the worst.

Also, good luck with your cousin. If I remember correctly, he became your neighbor when you got your new house (?). Just keep playing that movie forward during all this stress, which sounds like what you do when you don't enter the wine store. We know it always ends badly when we give in, but sometimes it's so easy to do just that. xoxo