Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• BrustMannEiner
    BrustMannEiner Posts: 360 Member
    edited August 2020
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Shout out to all my like minded and 'selfish' friends. Be safe those of you out in the counties, rural communities, and small towns of the United States where you've done perfectly fine so far. Remember, it's Friday and the mass exodus of city dwellers began upwards of 6 hours ago on the east coast and they may be heading to your area for the weekend to get some space and fresh air. Remember also, that although you've spent the past week being responsible, looking out for yourselves and local community, it is also you who are expected to help anyone other than yourself. This includes those which you would not have come into contact with except for the fact that they traveled to you. Wear a mask for 'their protection'.

Are they coming over the boarder. Not sure where you are but if there is a hotspot over a boarder then it should be closed like ours is to hotspots.

Coming across state lines but no state lines are closed nor are peoples travel restrictions going to be enforced if they are even enforceable.

But, meh, we're the selfish ones who don't care about everyone else.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited August 2020
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    A relative who shall remain anony-mouse ran all over the country following rallies. They now have a case of 'Rona with a 103 degree temp for over two weeks. I should've believed it was real y'all. It's real. It's real. Oooo, shut the hail uppp. The rest of us knew that at Hellooo.

There's a difference between "not believing COVID-19 is real" and having the opinion that the COVID-19 restrictions are unsustainable and ineffective. Of course I believe COVID-19 is a real illness that exists and kills people. Now, if you're a non-elderly, healthy person, especially if you're non-obese, you have almost no chance of dying from it, statistically speaking -- that's just going by the data. But yes, it is a real illness and people have died from it.

However, people have also died from secondary effects of lockdowns, and will continue to do so for years. That's the part everyone forgets.
    Shout out to all my like minded and 'selfish' friends. Be safe those of you out in the counties, rural communities, and small towns of the United States where you've done perfectly fine so far. Remember, it's Friday and the mass exodus of city dwellers began upwards of 6 hours ago on the east coast and they may be heading to your area for the weekend to get some space and fresh air. Remember also, that although you've spent the past week being responsible, looking out for yourselves and local community, it is also you who are expected to help anyone other than yourself. This includes those which you would not have come into contact with except for the fact that they traveled to you. Wear a mask for 'their protection'.

All the rich people, or people with rich parents, in the NYC area fled in March to their country houses, taking COVID-19 with them in some cases. I know so many people who did this. While simultaneously virtue-signaling "stay home, save lives" (unless you're going to a protest) to the people who lost their jobs, people who are trapped with their abusers, people who want to kill themselves due to social isolation, people who have other health problems they couldn't get medical care for, and the ever-increasing number of homeless people in the NYC area.
    ythannah wrote: »
    I have to agree about the investment picture, and I'm in a different country. Yes the TSX took a hefty downturn in mid-March but it has almost recovered to its previous level. I guess I've lost 8 months potential growth, but that's about it.

That's because it's being propped up artificially. Eventually it will have to crash along with everything else. If you're lucky enough to have a decent investment portfolio, yeah, you've made money in the past few months. If you're the average person who lives paycheck to paycheck like 80% of Americans, you're locked out of all that "growth."
  • BrustMannEiner
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    A relative who shall remain anony-mouse ran all over the country following rallies. They now have a case of 'Rona with a 103 degree temp for over two weeks. I should've believed it was real y'all. It's real. It's real. Oooo, shut the hail uppp. The rest of us knew that at Hellooo.

There's a difference between "not believing COVID-19 is real" and having the opinion that the COVID-19 restrictions are unsustainable and ineffective. Of course I believe COVID-19 is a real illness that exists and kills people. Now, if you're a non-elderly, healthy person, especially if you're non-obese, you have almost no chance of dying from it, statistically speaking -- that's just going by the data. But yes, it is a real illness and people have died from it.

However, people have also died from secondary effects of lockdowns, and will continue to do so for years. That's the part everyone forgets.

All the rich people, or people with rich parents, in the NYC area fled in March to their country houses, taking COVID-19 with them in some cases. I know so many people who did this. While simultaneously virtue-signaling "stay home, save lives" (unless you're going to a protest) to the people who lost their jobs, people who are trapped with their abusers, people who want to kill themselves due to social isolation, people who have other health problems they couldn't get medical care for, and the ever-increasing number of homeless people in the NYC area.

100% true.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited August 2020
    100% true.

I forgot to mention kids who are being denied proper education and socialization, and whose families aren't rich and well-connected enough to set up a "learning pod" or hire private tutors. Check out this guy over here, telling people he's keeping his kids home, when he is a rich and famous TV personality who can hire private tutors and get all kinds of other resources for his kids that the average person could never dream of.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/health/covid-kids-school-gupta-essay/index.html
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

Are they coming over the boarder. Not sure where you are but if there is a hotspot over a boarder then it should be closed like ours is to hotspots.

Coming across state lines but no state lines are closed nor are peoples travel restrictions going to be enforced if they are even enforceable.

No you sound like you do care about others. I wish they could be kept away from there for your safety same as I don't want all the tourists coming here if they don't try to be safe and do the right things.
  • catmarch4
    catmarch4 Posts: 17 Member
    Mask. Definitely
  • BrustMannEiner
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    100% true.

I forgot to mention kids who are being denied proper education and socialization, and whose families aren't rich and well-connected enough to set up a "learning pod" or hire private tutors. Check out this guy over here, telling people he's keeping his kids home, when he is a rich and famous TV personality who can hire private tutors and get all kinds of other resources for his kids that the average person could never dream of.

I'm responding to your comment about proper education and socialization.

Last night, when I was at work (I work in retail), I talked to an elementary school teacher. Yesterday was the first day of school. She teaches 2nd and 3rd graders. I could tell she was worried.

First of all, her school taped her whole classroom floor into a grid with 6 x 6 foot squares (she showed me photos on her phone). Each kid has a desk in the middle of that square -- and they have to stay there ALL DAY. Again, we're talking about kids in the 2nd and 3rd grades. They have one desk to the side where one kid can go to sit if they feel upset. Also, these little kids have to wear a mask ALL DAY.

I am absolutely for people wearing masks, always. However, I told this teacher that I see adults every day who refuse to wear a mask for even 15 minutes, but somehow we expect little kids to wear one all day, plus stay inside a 6 foot x 6 foot square. What kind of "proper socialization" is going to take place?

If I was a parent and had the option, I would vastly prefer online learning to this situation. Plus it would be far safer for both children and teachers. Or keep the schools closed for a semester -- better that than to have thousands of people come down with the disease.

Understand your point and mostly concur but regarding the bold every parent has an option; Homeschooling, private schooling, tutoring, virtual education, etc.

Prior life decisions, such as lifestyles requiring two full time incomes, do not absolve parents from their responsibility to ensure their children are educated properly.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    100% true.

Last night, when I was at work (I work in retail), I talked to an elementary school teacher. Yesterday was the first day of school. She teaches 2nd and 3rd graders here in the United States. I could tell she was worried.

First of all, her school taped her whole classroom floor into a grid with 6 x 6 foot squares (she showed me photos on her phone). Each kid has a desk in the middle of that square -- and they have to stay there ALL DAY. Again, we're talking about kids in the 2nd and 3rd grades. They have one desk to the side where one kid can go to sit if they feel upset. Also, these little kids have to wear a mask ALL DAY.

I am absolutely for people wearing masks, always. However, I told this teacher that I see adults every day who refuse to wear a mask for even 15 minutes, but somehow we expect little kids to wear one all day, plus stay inside a 6 foot x 6 foot square. What kind of "proper socialization" is going to take place?

If I was a parent and had the option, I would vastly prefer online learning to this situation. Plus it would be far safer for both children and teachers. Or keep the schools closed for a semester -- better that than to have thousands of people come down with the disease.

I thought if you were maintaining 6' distance masks were not necessary? Maybe that's just my state. Masks are mandated when you CANNOT maintain 6' distance. I see requiring them in hallways and stuff, but if the desks are enforced 6' distancing, isn't that socially distant?

Also in my state, kids 10 and under are not required to wear masks, so 2nd and 3rd grade would be a no. In schools, they are only required for 4th grade and up - at least the schools policies I've read.
  • mockchoc

I at least do NOT think you are selfish. You are being totally sensible.
  • BrustMannEiner

You're good. You've never thrown out those accusations like others have.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    100% true.

Last night, when I was at work (I work in retail), I talked to an elementary school teacher. Yesterday was the first day of school. She teaches 2nd and 3rd graders here in the United States. I could tell she was worried.

I thought if you were maintaining 6' distance masks were not necessary? Maybe that's just my state. Masks are mandated when you CANNOT maintain 6' distance. I see requiring them in hallways and stuff, but if the desks are enforced 6' distancing, isn't that socially distant?

Also in my state, kids 10 and under are not required to wear masks, so 2nd and 3rd grade would be a no. In schools, they are only required for 4th grade and up - at least the schools policies I've read.

This teacher told me masks are required all day. She talked at length about the type of mask they use. Young children are often asymptomatic and shed more virus than adults, so I assume that's the reasoning -- I didn't ask her.

You mentioned that social distancing of 6 feet is mandated where you live, without masks. I'm passing on what the teacher told me about the 6 x 6 foot squares. I would certainly want to wear a mask in a closed room with 15 or so people, even if they were spaced 6 feet apart. That's a lot of breath and droplets in a closed area.
  • mockchoc

You're good. You've never thrown out those accusations like others have.

Big hugs darling.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited August 2020
    100% true.

Well, for one it's IMO pretty questionable that the 2nd & 3rd graders are not only going to stay in the squares, but all stay in the *exact center* of their own squares? That's what would maintain 6' distances, staying dead center.

I don't know this school (but the administrators do). We're in an environment where it's been the trend for years now to try minimize/manage outside air coming in, for energy efficiency reasons. Now, we want rapid turnover of cleaned air. The average HVAC system is not really set up that way now, and some of the schools, underfunded as they are, have pretty deficient physical plant in the first place.

These are hard, messy problems, and all the pieces - ventilation, distances, masks, virus levels in the specific community, more - all interrelate in practice.
  • Hollis100
    "AnnPT77 wrote:
    Well, for one it's IMO pretty questionable that the 2nd & 3rd graders are not only going to stay in the squares, but all stay in the *exact center* of their own squares? That's what would maintain 6' distances, staying dead center.

Yes, this was my thought, but I didn't express it well. How the heck can squirmy little kids stay in the middle of a 6 x 6 foot square all day? I can't see this happening.

• BrustMannEiner
    edited August 2020
    "AnnPT77 wrote:

Yes, this was my thought, but I didn't express it well. How the heck can squirmy little kids stay in the middle of a 6 x 6 foot square all day? I can't see this happening.

leg cuff, shackle, length of chain, and an eye bolt secured to the floor.

Just kidding. Probably not appropriate for a debate.
  • Hollis100
    "AnnPT77 wrote:

leg cuff, shackle, length of chain, and an eye bolt secured to the floor.

Just kidding. Probably not appropriate for a debate.

Probably not, but also the only way I could see keeping those kids inside their little 6 x 6 squares. The whole concept is nuts.

This discussion has been closed.