• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    rye bread!

Oh yes and pumpernickel my favorite.

my fave at summer parties

ksjjjff6ks28.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    All Winter squash is good, but this is the best one I've found so far (an heirloom, usually called Georgia Candy Roaster; some close types are Pink Banana and Pink Ball - the latter is of course a more round shape). IMO Acorn Squash is less desirable - a convenient size, but more watery. The downside (maybe) of these heirlooms is that they're huuuuuge (those are pints of blackberries & black raspberries in the photo). These are meaty, richer-tasting, and have nice plump seeds that are delicious roasted with a little good chili powder and popcorn salt (plus a bit of olive oil so the spices stick).
    83roqfbya7mp.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    papaya!
  • pancakerunner
    I think a good greek salad is highly underrated. feta, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber and some olive oil.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited August 2020
    Love greek salad. (But the dressing is typically a vinaigrette not just olive oil.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Love greek salad. (But the dressing is typically a vinaigrette not just olive oil.)

Greek salad is amazing. I would also add a handful of kalamata olives and some banana peppers.
  • lemurcat2

Greek salad is amazing. I would also add a handful of kalamata olives and some banana peppers.

Yes on both.
  • pancakerunner

Yes on both.

amen!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2020
    Related to Greek Salads, I've been on a homemade falafel kick. They really are super easy to make. Because I'm Celiac, I wasn't finding mixes that were GF.

The key is just soaking real (not canned) chickpeas overnight -- around one to two cups. 24 hours is best, with a tsp of baking soda to minimize, ehummm... The next day drain them, add an onion, cilantro or parsley, cumin, a couple of TBSs of flour (I use GF and it works out great), a tsp of Baking Powder, some garlic, a jalapeno and coriander, salt/pepper and pulse in food processor. They will look pretty dry and if you need do drizzle a little water in them until they just form balls that stick together.

The only issue has been now I can't make a greek salad for my wife without the falafels, she loves them so much. I just brown them in a little olive oil and finish in the oven on foil. So good with greek salads.

I also make a Tzatziki sauce as well for my wife out of DF yogurt to go with it.

I used to go to this Lebanese place in Ohio. I miss it. But their Greek Dressing was amazing. They put so much lemon zest on their salad and have lemon cuttings in their olive oil. OMG it was so good. I try to emulate that with half lemon juice and vinegar and lots and lots of zest on the salad when I do my dressing.

Another underrated food -- Panang Curry. I would kill for a great Thai Panang Curry. So hard to find in Tucson. One place is decent but it's an hour from my house!
  • lemurcat2
    Speaking of chickpeas, I decided to get my mini food processor out to play around with it, and made some hommus. Tasty.
  • pancakerunner

Related to Greek Salads, I've been on a homemade falafel kick. They really are super easy to make. Because I'm Celiac, I wasn't finding mixes that were GF.

The key is just soaking real (not canned) chickpeas overnight -- around one to two cups. 24 hours is best, with a tsp of baking soda to minimize, ehummm... The next day drain them, add an onion, cilantro or parsley, cumin, a couple of TBSs of flour (I use GF and it works out great), a tsp of Baking Powder, some garlic, a jalapeno and coriander, salt/pepper and pulse in food processor. They will look pretty dry and if you need do drizzle a little water in them until they just form balls that stick together.

The only issue has been now I can't make a greek salad for my wife without the falafels, she loves them so much. I just brown them in a little olive oil and finish in the oven on foil. So good with greek salads.

I also make a Tzatziki sauce as well for my wife out of DF yogurt to go with it.

I used to go to this Lebanese place in Ohio. I miss it. But their Greek Dressing was amazing. They put so much lemon zest on their salad and have lemon cuttings in their olive oil. OMG it was so good. I try to emulate that with half lemon juice and vinegar and lots and lots of zest on the salad when I do my dressing.

Another underrated food -- Panang Curry. I would kill for a great Thai Panang Curry. So hard to find in Tucson. One place is decent but it's an hour from my house!

tzatziki sauce is my favorite ever
  • AnnPT77

Skordalia equally good, IMO, maybe better. More calorie-laden, in most recipes, though.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Skordalia equally good, IMO, maybe better. More calorie-laden, in most recipes, though.

I'm intrigued now. I might have to make that.

@pancakerunner - the Tzatziki I make is good. Not sure if it's as good as the ones with real Greek yogurt. I have to make it with Dairy free yogurt like Kite Hill.

I had also never had Za'atar sauce until my daughter came home for a few months during the lockdowns. That drizzled lightly over the falafels before I dredge them in Tzatziki. Mmm, mmm good.
  • AnnPT77

@pancakerunner - the Tzatziki I make is good. Not sure if it's as good as the ones with real Greek yogurt. I have to make it with Dairy free yogurt like Kite Hill.

I had also never had Za'atar sauce until my daughter came home for a few months during the lockdowns. That drizzled lightly over the falafels before I dredge them in Tzatziki. Mmm, mmm good.

There are some other Middle Eastern sauces in that garlicky spectrum that are pretty delicious, too, such as Lebanese Toum (basically an emulsion of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt (rich! caloric!). Perhaps you've had them.

I'm pretty much in love with anything garlicky.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member

There are some other Middle Eastern sauces in that garlicky spectrum that are pretty delicious, too, such as Lebanese Toum (basically an emulsion of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt (rich! caloric!). Perhaps you've had them.

Toum is delicious! I remember slathering copious amounts of it on my pita bread before MFP. Then one day I decided to make it myself and was horrified when I calculated calories per serving. I must have eaten half of my TDEE everytime we had it on the menu.

Za'atar is so versatile. It's delicious on flatbreads, grains, yogurt and salad!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member

I got a plant based Tzatziki dip by Good Foods, its awesome!
  • pancakerunner

I'm just not a huge fan of garlic :(
  • AnnPT77

I'm just not a huge fan of garlic :(

More for us, then.

Side comment: Don't know where you're getting low-garlic tzatziki. Making it? Any I've had has been pretty garlicky - part of the appeal, to me. 🤷‍♀️