Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    So oddly enough I don't normally watch network TV that much but I had recorded a series starting in early March thru April/May. It's amazing to see how the commercials change thru that time period. So much that I am almost watching the episodes just to see the commercials instead of the show. B)

At work we had manager zoom training the other day about Covid and guidelines. All I could think of the entire time we were having the training was that in a year from now will any of the training have been valid? Mostly things like when are you contagious and how long to isolate etc.

One thing is for certain EVERYONE will remember the great toilet paper run for the rest of history.. :D

Why?? I still don't get the big deal about toilet paper.

I never had a problem finding it either, but apparently lots of places there was a fear that there would be a run on it, so everyone bought extra, so shelves were in fact bare (or close it to), which promoted the panic and people bought even larger amounts when they found it, etc. Add to this a switch in usage patterns with more people staying home and so using more at home and trouble by the supply chain in adjusting to the switch from commercial to at home use. Plus the fact that stores can't really keep that much extra on hand, because it's bulky.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    I still have the can of wipes I bought the first day of the shutdown. They are nearing empty. I have bought wipes twice since then, the second time I gave them all to MIL though.

I work from home. I leave the house to go to church, the gym, and pick up groceries. I sanitize my hands when I get to church and when I get back in the car. I sanitize my hands when I get to the gym and when I get back in the car. I don't usually when I just pick up groceries because I don't leave the car. I wash my hands with soap and water when I get home from anywhere.

That is about all extra I do, well I already washed my hands when I got home from anywhere - the sanitizing is COVID.

I use the disinfecting wipes to clean raw meat/bodily waste messes (including the toilet). I use regular spray cleaner for everything else.

The shortages are not due to people buying wipes entirely, the material used is also used for PPE - so there is a manufacturing shortage.

I've heard this too, although it doesn't explain shortages of spray products.

The car wash I go to typically has pump spray bottles for additional cleaning/detailing after the car goes through the wash. A few weeks ago, they said they would not be provided due to a shortage of the spray bottles. Sign did say they would give you the cleaner if you provided your own bottle

I'm guessing that as places opened up there was more demand for the actual pump sprayers and the manufactures couldn't keep up.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I still have the can of wipes I bought the first day of the shutdown. They are nearing empty. I have bought wipes twice since then, the second time I gave them all to MIL though.

I work from home. I leave the house to go to church, the gym, and pick up groceries. I sanitize my hands when I get to church and when I get back in the car. I sanitize my hands when I get to the gym and when I get back in the car. I don't usually when I just pick up groceries because I don't leave the car. I wash my hands with soap and water when I get home from anywhere.

That is about all extra I do, well I already washed my hands when I got home from anywhere - the sanitizing is COVID.

I use the disinfecting wipes to clean raw meat/bodily waste messes (including the toilet). I use regular spray cleaner for everything else.

The shortages are not due to people buying wipes entirely, the material used is also used for PPE - so there is a manufacturing shortage.

The car wash I go to typically has pump spray bottles for additional cleaning/detailing after the car goes through the wash. A few weeks ago, they said they would not be provided due to a shortage of the spray bottles. Sign did say they would give you the cleaner if you provided your own bottle

I'm guessing that as places opened up there was more demand for the actual pump sprayers and the manufactures couldn't keep up.

I use spray bottles in the garden for various things that I mix myself and wanted to pick up a few new ones this spring but there were none to be found. I eventually got a couple small ones that hold about half the normal quantity, but not until several months later.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited August 2020
    So oddly enough I don't normally watch network TV that much but I had recorded a series starting in early March thru April/May. It's amazing to see how the commercials change thru that time period. So much that I am almost watching the episodes just to see the commercials instead of the show. B)

At work we had manager zoom training the other day about Covid and guidelines. All I could think of the entire time we were having the training was that in a year from now will any of the training have been valid? Mostly things like when are you contagious and how long to isolate etc.

One thing is for certain EVERYONE will remember the great toilet paper run for the rest of history.. :D

Right after the toilet paper run I read an article explaining that Australia is apparenty dependent on imported toilet paper from China, and back then it was a relevant concern that Australia might run out of toilet paper for real if borders were closed or the factories in China were shut down. Then Australians took their grief about it to the internet, internet followed suit and madness ensued globally.

Don’t know if that’s exactly what happened, but the newspaper I read it from tends to be reputable.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member

That is probably people buying. You can get spray stuff here but rarely wipes. Businesses buy it too, small businesses shop at walmart/sams/kroger, etc - my gym has had an assortment of spray cleaners because it's what they can get. My chiropractor uses lysol between patients, etc - I doubt they all mail order it. They probably go to the store early and buy it.

RE Soda: I also think it's supply chain issues. My Walmart has been out of soda/low stock all the time. Kroger has had plenty. Stores have different supply avenues.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Had a lady at church that picked up a 4 pack of Lysol spray for me <3 She would call every morning to ask if they had gotten any in. I only use it when people are actively sick and had just a small amount left after their crazy illness run in February/March, didn’t think to restock until chaos broke out and it was too late. I use Lysol wipes on and around the toilet, but am going to switch to the enzyme bathroom cleaner I used years ago - I have two boys and the kids bathroom has a permanent pee smell. Bought a new toilet seat today, that should help, hoping the enzyme cleaner will nip what’s left.

Thanks to this thread just had the thought to restock on the one all-purpose cleaner we use on a daily basis. I bought bulk Biokleen concentrate probably 10+ years ago and it would be my luck to finally run out this winter :lol: the spray bottle conversation triggered the thought because my daughter actually dropped and cracked the one bottle we have (also 10+ years old!) sooooo $80 just spent on Amazon! But it will last us a LONG time.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I’m stocking up on canned goods again (so husband will eat if I get sick) and paper products, Clorox wipes and some frozen fruit and veggies. I’m worried about hoarding again with seasonal flu approaching. The leaves are beginning to change, autumn is approaching and with schools starting up, there will be a lot more exposure possible.

I have not seen Clorox wipes in the stores since early March.

They aren’t actually Clorox brand, but Menards has bleach wipes and hand sanitizer, and a good supply of both. I haven’t seen the Clorox brand since this started.

I only said Clorox because that was the brand mentioned in the post I was x responding to. To be clear, in my area (suburbs of major metro area) I haven't seen any brand of disinfectant disposable wipes since early March. We don't have Menards here, but I do shop at several different grocery chains and a couple of drug store chains.
  • lynn_glenmont

Thanks, this makes sense. Every once in a while I'll hear about some product or other that is in short supply because of something related to packaging or production that might not be an obvious component if you're not involved in that sector.

Other times I'll hear about plans for reopening something, like schools, with distancing and other safety plans and I'll think, "How exactly is that going to work? Does the district administrator who came up with that plan have a magic wand that's going to produce more classrooms, more teachers, more buses, better ventilation, six-year-olds who can sit in the same seat for hours on end?"

Most of us have been in a school, and it's a lot easier to see all the different components that have to work there than it is to see all the complexities of retail production and distribution. Until vivid, I had never had any reason to think about the fact that trucks have time windows for when they're allowed to occupy a delivery dock, just like planes at a gate.
  • lynn_glenmont

That is probably people buying. You can get spray stuff here but rarely wipes. Businesses buy it too, small businesses shop at walmart/sams/kroger, etc - my gym has had an assortment of spray cleaners because it's what they can get. My chiropractor uses lysol between patients, etc - I doubt they all mail order it. They probably go to the store early and buy it.

RE Soda: I also think it's supply chain issues. My Walmart has been out of soda/low stock all the time. Kroger has had plenty. Stores have different supply avenues.

My gym bought some kind of machine that creates some sort of oxygen-based disinfecting cleaner from tap water, and they hand you a small bottle and a towel for cleaning (you're supposed to bring your own towel for mopping up sweat on your body now). Or so they say. I'm still not ready to go back to the gym.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    hipari wrote: »

Right after the toilet paper run I read an article explaining that Australia is apparenty dependent on imported toilet paper from China, and back then it was a relevant concern that Australia might run out of toilet paper for real if borders were closed or the factories in China were shut down. Then Australians took their grief about it to the internet, internet followed suit and madness ensued globally.

Don’t know if that’s exactly what happened, but the newspaper I read it from tends to be reputable.

What actually happened here was some people assumed we imported all of our toilet paper from China and would run out which is why the shelves were bare at times. I just went and double checked the brand I buy and they have a mill in Sydney and one in Brisbane. We do though import some from there.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

Thanks, this makes sense. Every once in a while I'll hear about some product or other that is in short supply because of something related to packaging or production that might not be an obvious component if you're not involved in that sector.

Other times I'll hear about plans for reopening something, like schools, with distancing and other safety plans and I'll think, "How exactly is that going to work? Does the district administrator who came up with that plan have a magic wand that's going to produce more classrooms, more teachers, more buses, better ventilation, six-year-olds who can sit in the same seat for hours on end?"

Most of us have been in a school, and it's a lot easier to see all the different components that have to work there than it is to see all the complexities of retail production and distribution. Until vivid, I had never had any reason to think about the fact that trucks have time windows for when they're allowed to occupy a delivery dock, just like planes at a gate.

One of my son's friends is in logistics, He get bonuses based how efficiently they can fill truckloads. Natural disasters and now the 'rona are a gold mine (well deserved) as they work to get stuff moved as efficiently as possible.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and understanding.

I was across the street from a Kroger yesterday (went to Dollar Tree for Halloween stuff lol) so I picked up some of the "cream of..." soups I can eat. They were a decent price too so I was happy. Got 3 of each, so 6 totals. Next weekend I will add some broths to my list and maybe one more bag of Jasmine rice. I don't have space for the super big bags from like Costco, but Aldi has good sized bags for a decent price. I eat a LOT of rice as I eat a lot of Asian based recipes.

As for Clorox style products... I have a couple things of wipes and 2 bottles of spray. I also have hand sanitizer, though I may pick up another bottle. Oh, and Costco had all of those things in spades Friday so if you have a membership, you may want to try there. Got some disposable masks to just have on hand. Going to put some in a baggie to keep a few in the car just in case I forget my reusable ones.

On the upside, being stuck at home so much has gotten me off my butt and cleaning/organizing. I'm working at home so I normally only go our 1-2 times a week. Thus my home environment is a lot more important to me. So I have gotten some projects done that I have been putting off. It's been awesome.

this raises an issue I've begun thinking about: Halloween.

For those of you who typically hand out treats, what are you planning to do this year? I don't have much hope that we'll be back to normal, covid-wise by then, and I have a sad cynicism that the folks most likely to let their kids knock on strangers' doors in this situation are the people most likely to have a much looser social-distancing standard than I have adopted.

I'm not feeling super comfortable about opening my door to 50 people shouting Trick or Treat and expelling droplets 2 feet from my face (well, to be fair, in recent years about a quarter of the kids just stick their bags or plastic jack o'lanterns out and don't say anything, which seems less fun to me -- I always enjoyed the hollow pretense as a child that there would.be reprisals if no treat was forthcoming).

I do hand out treats normally, although we usually only get 20 -24 kids. From vague rumblings that I've heard, it may get cancelled this year on a city-wide basis. I suppose that will depend on how things go between now and then, as we currently have no active cases and have only been picking up one or two new ones a week within the past couple of months. I can't see cancelling Halloween if that low level of risk continues.

I'm happy to mask up to hand out treats.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »

What actually happened here was some people assumed we imported all of our toilet paper from China and would run out which is why the shelves were bare at times. I just went and double checked the brand I buy and they have a mill in Sydney and one in Brisbane. We do though import some from there.

Yep, factories in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth for Quilton. If it wasn't for that rumour I doubt there'd have been a problem.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member

Yep, factories in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth for Quilton. If it wasn't for that rumour I doubt there'd have been a problem.

Cool, thanks for the info! It’s amazing how one rumour online can cause real shortages globally.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Called it.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6183906297001

Premier Daniel Andrews has announced Victoria’s state of emergency will be extended for 12 months beyond the scheduled September 13 finish date.

Mr Andrews said a decision was yet to be made as to when the Victorian Parliament would sit to pass the bill but it would be made “available at the appropriate time”.

He said they had to assume a vaccine would not be available before next year and had to correspondingly extend the lockdown measures beyond the normal six-month legal limit.

“Those sorts of rules are all a product of the state of emergency and the provisions within the public health and well-being act need to be changed to reflect the fact that while we would all love this to be over by the 13 September, which is when the act says the state of emergency must end, that is just not going to be the case,” he said.

“We are going to have this with us for a considerably longer period than that.”
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

Cool, thanks for the info! It’s amazing how one rumour online can cause real shortages globally.

You're welcome 🙂 yeah, unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation in many areas. I hardly watch the news now, my eyes were rolling so hard I could see behind me 😂
  • lynn_glenmont
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I’m stocking up on canned goods again (so husband will eat if I get sick) and paper products, Clorox wipes and some frozen fruit and veggies. I’m worried about hoarding again with seasonal flu approaching. The leaves are beginning to change, autumn is approaching and with schools starting up, there will be a lot more exposure possible.

I have not seen Clorox wipes in the stores since early March.

They aren’t actually Clorox brand, but Menards has bleach wipes and hand sanitizer, and a good supply of both. I haven’t seen the Clorox brand since this started.

I only said Clorox because that was the brand mentioned in the post I was x responding to. To be clear, in my area (suburbs of major metro area) I haven't seen any brand of disinfectant disposable wipes since early March. We don't have Menards here, but I do shop at several different grocery chains and a couple of drug store chains.

Lynn, I don't know if this will be true in your area (there seem to be a lot of odd localized differences), but hereabouts I noticed that the big-box home improvement places (for me, Lowe's is an example) did seem to start getting a supply of this sort of thing before the same items started showing up on my routine grocery rounds.

(I wouldn't have been in the home improvement places - not one of those out ramming around looking for home improvement supplies because of stay-at-home orders! - but a 17-year-old 100% flattened my rural mailbox with a car 🙄, so I kinda had to deal with that, and not all needful things are easily ordered sight unseen, especially for a homeowner who doesn't know what the blip she's doing 😐.)

Thanks for the tip (and sorry about your having to deal with getting a new mailbox in the midst of the pandemic).
    I'm taking a week of staycation, and I thought I might make some forays to stores during weekday hours that might be less crowded, so I'll put that on my list of places to try.