Need Advice for Muscle Gain

Hi all! I’m currently trying to gain muscle mass while burn fat. For those who were able to gain muscle mass how were you all able to do it? Also how did it feel to gain muscles mass? The only thing I’m concerned is that you have to gain weight in order to gain muscles and honestly I’m quite scared of adding some weight to my body without getting fat. Do I need to incorporate more proteins in my diet in order to gain muscles and lose fat? I’m currently 115 lb and 5’0” if this information helps.

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Recomposition or"recomp" is generally how it's done, however it's not a speedy process https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

To add muscle you need to challenge the muscle in some way to stimulate growth, usually done by a progressive weight lifting program. Yes, adequate protein will be required to feed that growth. Whether you need more or not depends on your current protein consumption. I aim for 1 g of protein per lb of body weight but .8 g/lb seems to be a common recommendation.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Personally I find recomp results to be underwhelming for the most part. Even with the addition of an AAS results can still be lack luster.

Firstly.

DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN WORKOUT PROGRAM. Not a dig, but you do not have the knowledge or experience to create one to benefit you and maximize results.

Secondly.

You need to eat protein daily regardless of your goals. You need protein to function.

If you're gaining muscle you are going to gain weight. You cannot add mass without an increase in weight.

You cannot gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Recomp is essentially a roller coaster. You sit on the line of maintenance. Causing your tdee to fluctuate. Thus with some days resulting in a surplus. Others a deficit. So that you will gain a pinch of muscle while other times you may lose a pinch of fat. Over years recomp can be good for those looking to make slow progress without drastic changes.

But for someone looking to see changes sooner I would not recommend it. I'd personally suggest a 3-4x a week beginner weight lifting program while running a very moderate surplus of 200-250 calories a day with around 1g of protein per pound of lean mass up to per pound body weight. Yes you can do it. I'm currently doing 1.5g per pound of body weight.

You also need to focus on rest and hydration. Both are key factors. In changing body composition.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    vnssngyn wrote: »
    Hi all! I’m currently trying to gain muscle mass while burn fat. For those who were able to gain muscle mass how were you all able to do it? Also how did it feel to gain muscles mass? The only thing I’m concerned is that you have to gain weight in order to gain muscles and honestly I’m quite scared of adding some weight to my body without getting fat. Do I need to incorporate more proteins in my diet in order to gain muscles and lose fat? I’m currently 115 lb and 5’0” if this information helps.

You gain muscle by training effectively, with an adequate diet to support that training.

The requirement for that effectiveness is very variable depending on where you are starting from - for a beginner or someone undertrained just about any training will work (for a while). For someone advanced or close to their genetic potential they have to be far more structured.
    Ditto to a degree as regards your diet that supports your training and recovery from training. Hence someone training well for 10 years may have to have everything optimised to make any progress - but that's very different for someone just starting out.

You haven't said anything about yourself so where on the spectrum you sit is unknown.
    Where are you starting from and what are your short and long term physique ambitions?

Without knowing how much protein you currently consume "more" can't be judged.

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    It's do-able but slow, in my experience. For me (F, early 50s, 5'10", 168lb) a calorie deficit averaging about 250 per day and macros of 40: protein, 40: fat and 20: carbs is optimal. Along with working bloody hard (technical term!) in the gym - resistance training 4-5 days per week, high intensity cardio 1 day per week, something light the remaining day per week.
  • jessef593
    sijomial wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »

Recomp is essentially a roller coaster. You sit on the line of maintenance. Causing your tdee to fluctuate. Thus with some days resulting in a surplus. Others a deficit. So that you will gain a pinch of muscle while other times you may lose a pinch of fat. Over years recomp can be good for those looking to make slow progress without drastic changes.

Untrue.
    Losing fat and gaining muscle are two separate mechanism that do work at the same time. You are burning fat all day long, it's just an energy source and doesn't stop when you are in a surplus - just the balance of burning versus storage.

Muscle protein synthesis is a 24 x7 process and is not dependant on a surplus, the rate varies but the process doesn't stop just because your calorie balance drops into a deficit.

Complete myth that a surplus is necessary to gain muscle, it may well be optimal and can of course be faster but that's not the same as being a requirement.

Apart from those misunderstandings there's some good advcie in there.

That is more or less what I said. I stated recomp is completely possible. However I personally find the results to be less than satisfactory.

If I do recall years ago when I frequented this forum more you were a strong supporter of recomp and essentially ran it year round right? Not trying to imply anything. Just recognizing some faces/names.
  • sijomial

Untrue.
    Losing fat and gaining muscle are two separate mechanism that do work at the same time. You are burning fat all day long, it's just an energy source and doesn't stop when you are in a surplus - just the balance of burning versus storage.

Muscle protein synthesis is a 24 x7 process and is not dependant on a surplus, the rate varies but the process doesn't stop just because your calorie balance drops into a deficit.

Complete myth that a surplus is necessary to gain muscle, it may well be optimal and can of course be faster but that's not the same as being a requirement.

That is more or less what I said. I stated recomp is completely possible. However I personally find the results to be less than satisfactory.

If I do recall years ago when I frequented this forum more you were a strong supporter of recomp and essentially ran it year round right? Not trying to imply anything. Just recognizing some faces/names.

I'm only a strong supporter in the sense that it's a perfectly normal thing (a.k.a. "getting in shape") and dislike seeing people getting sucked into bulk/cut cycles for the wrong reasons or based on misunderstandings. Just as can also be said for recomp there's pros and cons.
    Although bulk/cut is also a perfectly reasonable option for some that tends to be for people with more advanced physique aspirations or closer to their training peak - in other words a small minority of the general population. I'm sensing strongly the OP isn't part of that minority.

I did a deliberate recomp for a while (at a tiny 1lb/month deficit) and got good results in terms of muscle growth and fat loss but TBH since then I'm happy for my physique to be a consequence of my exercise rather than a standalone goal (incidental recomp perhaps?). My goals are performance based rather than body composition and gaining weight would be a disadvantage to my main sport and cutting just doesn't appeal.

It's hard in threads like this where the OP doesn't give any real data or goals to work with - hope they open up a dialogue otherwise it's all guesswork.
  • jessef593

Untrue.

I'm only a strong supporter in the sense that it's a perfectly normal thing (a.k.a. "getting in shape") and dislike seeing people getting sucked into bulk/cut cycles for the wrong reasons or based on misunderstandings. Just as can also be said for recomp there's pros and cons.
    Although bulk/cut is also a perfectly reasonable option for some that tends to be for people with more advanced physique aspirations or closer to their training peak - in other words a small minority of the general population. I'm sensing strongly the OP isn't part of that minority.

I did a deliberate recomp for a while (at a tiny 1lb/month deficit) and got good results in terms of muscle growth and fat loss but TBH since then I'm happy for my physique to be a consequence of my exercise rather than a standalone goal (incidental recomp perhaps?). My goals are performance based rather than body composition and gaining weight would be a disadvantage to my main sport and cutting just doesn't appeal.

It's hard in threads like this where the OP doesn't give any real data or goals to work with - hope they open up a dialogue otherwise it's all guesswork.

And I completely agree with you. Recomp is much more suitable for people who just want to live a generally healthy lifestyle.

For a mid 20s guy, bulking and cutting is the most beneficial way to reach my goals. Hell I'm consuming close 300g of protein most days recently. And I feel my best in a surplus. Rather than skimming the line. Though I hate getting stuck at a friends place without access to my fridge.

Very true, many posters on here would not last long on my AAS forums. Haha. They expect you to post down to the gram of protein per day. Total sets, reps, hours of sleep.

If not, you catch some real fun comments..
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited August 2020
    if you are following an appropriate training program, consuming an appropriate amount of protein, inputting a caloric average at maintenance level and are around an average body fat level you will “recomp” whether you want to or not...
  • jessef593
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Appropriate training program is the hard part because everyone says something different.

Not really. It's all based on goals and level of experience.. you're just not asking the right people
  • jessef593
    Appropriate training program is the hard part because everyone says something different.

And you've been given the same advice multiple times. Soooo yeah
  • wiigelec
    you have to look closely and identify the commonalities then make the appropriate modifications to fit your specific needs. there is some trial and error involved...

• jessef593
    I'm loving the dislikes folks. Keep it up. Not going to change my mentality or my answers.

He has been given the same advice multiple times and not taken it. That Is his choice not mine, sorry if I upset someone for pointing that out.

I myself have given him a few tried and true programs that would help him achieve his goals.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Proper diet contribute like 70% of your gains and the rest of that is what you do in the gym, you cant do one without the another 🤷‍♂️. Calculate your TDEE, set your macros, get good gym program and it will work.

(( those are based on my experience, worked me that way, everyone is different.))
    I hope you find what works for you, it is trials and errors.
  • wiigelec
    That's exactly what I was doing, the aworkoutroutine.com beginner program, with dumbbells, 3x per week full body, and strength doesn't increase beyond a certain point.
    so become a scientist and experiment with the variables of exercise selection, frequency, volume and intensity.

make sure you only change one or two things at a time, track your changes in your training log and give enough time between changes to gauge their effect...
  • sijomial
    But for someone looking to see changes sooner I would not recommend it. I'd personally suggest a 3-4x a week beginner weight lifting program while running a very moderate surplus of 200-250 calories a day with around 1g of protein per pound of lean mass

That's exactly what I was doing, the aworkoutroutine.com beginner program, with dumbbells, 3x per week full body, and strength doesn't increase beyond a certain point.

That sounds exactly what beginner programs are designed to do, build a foundation.
    When you get to that point change to more advanced programming in line with your particular goal(s) and capabilities/response to stimulus.

How long did you run your beginner program?
  • @sijomial @jessef593

Alright so here’s my pitch and you two seem to know a lot more than me.. so i weighed 240 and dropped down to 190. I was on the keto diet. Now I’m still a little chubby ( dad bod ) but I stopped doing keto and started to try and learn how to count macros. What would you recommend for me if I say in the next 10 weeks, id like you lose 10 weeks I’d like to lose 10 more lbs while gaining more muscle mass? Or is that not a thing? I’m very new to this so any positive feedback is appreciated