The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,166 Member
    I love living where tourists only dream of living. I like the boost they give to the economy. However, when they come into town and jam into a place it makes it impossible to socially distance. I just stay away from places like Flathead lake and Glacier park. It will be nice when things get closer to normal like this winter. 😉
  • sufferlandrian
    I think I would rather work a 24 hour shift than have to get up at 3 AM to get to work by 5 AM. At least it will be a short shift. The other vet does search and rescue and has to go look for a dead guy before it gets too hot.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Does the other vet do S&R with a dog, or just happens to be a member of Search/Rescue who is also a vet?
    Yes, @sufferlandrian I certainly agree with the "Please leave my town, tourists!" feeling. I guess I can't whine too much though as my family were the tourists who came every summer since I was 5. Didn't move here until after I was married.
    I try to stay off the highway between May long weekend, and mid Sept. It's especially stressful with social distancing and mask wearing these days. I forgot that it was the Fri before the last summer long weekend, and took Mom & Dad out for their first foray to a store in almost 6 months. OMGoodness everywhere was packed! Mask wearing in our car and in the stores was fun especially since Mom was getting annoyed about masks - due to Lewy Body Dementia she can't figure out what is going on from one moment to the next. The past couple days she keeps telling Dad that they 'need to pack and go home from this hotel.' Dad just keeps saying they will when they feel better.
  • canadjineh
    Phoned a couple of friends and met at a parking lot live band bluegrass event - 5 young guys playing the usual 2 guitars, mandolin, banjo, and bass. They were quite young - maybe late teens - but pretty talented although they needed to perfect their stage presence and connect better with the audience. That will come with time and experience. We lucked out with a shady spot due to a large overhead sign, so pretty comfortable sitting in our lawn chairs distanced from other small family groups. Afterward we went to the riverfront pub and had a cider and light dinner, then went for a swim in the river. JUST what we needed.
  • sufferlandrian
    The other vet has tracking dogs. He gets called out a lot. Last weekend he got called out and tracked the guy to the waters edge of the lake where he told family he would be. Now the divers are looking for him.
  • canadjineh
    A couple of young guys just drowned in our local lakes. One was right off the busy public beach, the other was cliff jumping in the big lake just south of us. Both visitors/tourists to our area. Sad. Only one body recovered so far.
  • sufferlandrian
    I have a basic rule, don't hike alone in areas where you could get hurt and people don't go very often. I understand trying to get away to clear your head, but limits must be made.

We had a guy drown cliff diving here as well last weekend. He was down by Polson jumping into the Flathead River with a group of friends. He didn't come up and they found him almost 50 miles away near Missoula. It's a big river and moves faster than you think.
  • sufferlandrian
    Moving the clinic to a new building this morning. It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over 12 years. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    I have a day off today. I could do so many things and all I want to do is sleep.
  • canadjineh
    Sometimes sleep is the very best thing to do...
    This past couple days have been crazy. I worked my patrol shift, then had to wait around to get my crown put on at 7:30 this morning, then home to bed for 4 hours, then up again to take dad to the audiologist, then home to read for an hour while eating cheese and taco chips, then sleep for an hour, then a couple cups of coffee and out I go for patrol again tonight. I will have to wake up again tomorrow after 5 hours sleep to take my husband into the ortho clinic at the hospital for check up tomorrow. I need 8 or 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep, but probably won't get that til Fri night. Fri. AM we have to go for a training session for RCMP SpeedWatch. A refresher on working the fancy radar boards to remind folks to slowwww down - school will be starting in Sept again.
  • sufferlandrian
    That sounds like a humdinger of a schedule. Hope you have lot's more than coffee in your arsenal.

Moved into the new building. Now I'm struggling with knowing where anything is. Seems like it keeps moving too. Someone has an idea of where they think things would be better and move stuff so every night is an adventure in finding stuff.
  • canadjineh
    I hope your 'equipment/supply' hunt is going well. Sooner or later things will settle into the spot they are meant for, lol. Still crazy busy, I actually missed an appointment this morning - it totally went out of my head, with all the work stuff I wasn't even awake at the time I needed to be there.
    We are headed to Banff for 3 nights just to not be at home at the beginning of Sept. Hopefully we won't be coming across any more a55holes like this one:
    https://www.saobserver.net/news/kentucky-man-faces-750k-fine-for-breaking-canadian-quarantine-rules-in-alberta-rockies/
  • sufferlandrian
    The problem with living in red neck country is most of the wannabe cowboys think rules don’t apply to them. We saw a rodeo photo this week with zero social distancing and only five masks total in the whole grandstand that we could count. One those masks wasn’t being worn correctly. Wearing a mask with your nose uncovered is like wearing a condom with the tip cut off.
  • canadjineh
    @sufferlandrian, you need to market that on a t-shirt, lol.
  • karlinab1807
    karlinab1807 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi all , I'm karlina from the uk , new member and came across your group 😊 I work nights in a care home , really struggle to maintain healthy lifestyle, I walk on average 5-10 miles a day , meal times are a mess I've slowly dropped from 9stone to under 8 in 6 months
  • canadjineh
    Great news, the eagle that I helped rescue about a month ago is going to be brought back home to be released on Saturday late afternoon/early evening. We aren't too sure yet of the time because she has to be driven from the raptor rescue https://owlrehab.org/ 600 km away. I just got a phone call today - that she is ready to go. I will try to remember to get some video of her being released. She was a very large bird even though she was scrawny and weak, I can't imagine how magnificent she will be now! Very excited!!
  • canadjineh
    Welcome! @karlinab1807. You'll probably be posting while we are asleep, lol. Time zone stuff. I'm in Security/Policing, sufferlandrian is a vet, and there are others in health care, hotel hospitality, and other occupations too. Things have been a bit quiet lately here, but us regulars carry on.
  • sufferlandrian
    @karlinab1807 i think you’re doing pretty good if you dropped from 9 stones to under 8 in six months! That’s impressive.
  • sufferlandrian
    Oh yeah! The forest fires are back. We can smoke our food by just hanging it on the clothes line. :angry:
  • canadjineh
    Our (fairly) local one is now under control, the 3700 evac alerts and orders have been rescinded. Only 1 house burnt, no one injured.