Calorie surplus on fat loss diet

If you overeat while on a fat loss diet and you are doing resistence traning, will you gain fat or muscle???
I am having hard time sticking to diet and I end up overeating ( from my target calories ) but my weight training is consistent

Replies

• chakug
    chakug Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sometimes I overeat than my maintenance when I binge on. I have been going up and down on scale for 2-3 months now but do not see progress on either fat loss or any significant muscle mass/strength
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Sounds like you need to work on impulse control personally
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    How much weight do you need to lose to be at healthy weight?
    Not jacked, just healthy?

And what is your current deficit you are attempting to do?

When people undereat to the extreme, and still expect workouts to be beneficial for what's being done (or even wihtout the workouts) - they many times find the binge issue.
    Body's attempt to get out of the craziness.
    Hopefully if that is reason it hasn't adapted in other ways too.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    That is called a bulk. You will gain muscle and fat.....

Or a less well designed weight loss plan that in attempting to accomplish too much... leads to accomplishing less than what a less ambitious but more suitable plan would help accomplish...
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited August 2020
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Or a less well designed weight loss plan that in attempting to accomplish too much... leads to accomplishing less than what a less ambitious but more suitable plan would help accomplish...

That's is also a reasonable assessment... lol
    OP, I suggest you make a goal that is reasonable now. A small one or two. Maybe consider hiring an online coach. Someone to teach you. This $#!÷ is easy but complicated sometimes for a newbie. If you want to maximize muscle retention and fat loss. Aim for a .5% weight loss target a week. I dont know what your dietary pattern is, but would suggest a shift to lower energy dense, lower palatable, higher fiber, less refine diet. This might help with the binges. If you want a "treat" work it in, but make sure you are not ravenous when you eat it. Having a big salad or a big piece of fruit and some protein can help create that sensation of fullness before you have your indulgence. I would also recommend not buying more than one serving and not keeping binge foods in your food environment. If it not there, it's harder to eat. You have to out and get it.
  • chakug
    edited August 2020

OP, I suggest you make a goal that is reasonable now. A small one or two. Maybe consider hiring an online coach. Someone to teach you. This $#!÷ is easy but complicated sometimes for a newbie. If you want to maximize muscle retention and fat loss. Aim for a .5% weight loss target a week. I dont know what your dietary pattern is, but would suggest a shift to lower energy dense, lower palatable, higher fiber, less refine diet. This might help with the binges. If you want a "treat" work it in, but make sure you are not ravenous when you eat it. Having a big salad or a big piece of fruit and some protein can help create that sensation of fullness before you have your indulgence. I would also recommend not buying more than one serving and not keeping binge foods in your food environment. If it not there, it's harder to eat. You have to out and get it.

I plan and eat well generally on most days. I have already lost over 20 kgs
    I only need to lose 8-10 kgs.
    I eat healthy high protein diet but sometimes I end up overeating on festivals and social situations. That's why I was wondering if I'd be building muscle on such situations or gain fat again !? Cs I'm fine either way if I lose fat or gain muscle mass at this point
    My current weight is 64 and I'm 158 cm.
  • jessef593
    chakug wrote: »

I eat healthy high protein diet but sometimes I end up overeating on festivals and social situations. That's why I was wondering if I'd be building muscle on such situations or gain fat again !? Cs I'm fine either way if I lose fat or gain muscle mass at this point

That would depend on your training program. If you're following a legit lifting program then yes on the occasional or very often time where you over eat. Then you will be building a minute amount of muscle. But honestly, it's nothing to write home about and could take multiple months to be anything noticeable.

I've gained an inch on my arms in the last 6 weeks along with an additional 20lbs of bodyweight. A good amount is water but I've also gained a substantial amount of muscle as even with the huge weight increase, I've become more vascular. But that is only because I eat and train for that. Even with all of that I barely see the difference. However others are pointing it out.

What is your current bodyfat percentage?
    You're 143lbs and you want to lose another 20? Yeesh. You're gunna be getting pretty small by that point even being just over 5'.

What is your daily deficit set at?
    I once again will state you need to work on impulse control or re evaluate your goals
  • chakug
    jessef593 wrote: »

That would depend on your training program. If you're following a legit lifting program then yes on the occasional or very often time where you over eat. Then you will be building a minute amount of muscle. But honestly, it's nothing to write home about and could take multiple months to be anything noticeable.

I've gained an inch on my arms in the last 6 weeks along with an additional 20lbs of bodyweight. A good amount is water but I've also gained a substantial amount of muscle as even with the huge weight increase, I've become more vascular. But that is only because I eat and train for that. Even with all of that I barely see the difference. However others are pointing it out.

You're 143lbs and you want to lose another 20? Yeesh. You're gunna be getting pretty small by that point even being just over 5'.

I once again will state you need to work on impulse control or re evaluate your goals

I do not know the body fat percentage.
    54-56 kgs is my ideal weight. I have visible belly fat right now.
    My daily deficit is 700-800 cals
    I workout 5-6 times a week. GVT tranining+ full body compound exercises on alternate days
  • jessef593
    jessef593 wrote: »

I do not know the body fat percentage.
    54-56 kgs is my ideal weight. I have visible belly fat right now.
    My daily deficit is 700-800 cals
    I workout 5-6 times a week. GVT tranining+ full body compound exercises on alternate days

I cant really speak since I'm 6' 210lbs. But that sounds far too light for a full grown Male. You should get a dexa scan to find out your bf percentage. Putting on some muscle may be a good idea as you'll help you appear to have less fat.

Also that deficit is far too much. No wonder you keep binging. Bring it down to 250-500 a day and start eating more dense foods and more protein to stay satiated.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Dittos to smaller deficit.

And that is a smaller deficit to what you burn overall - your TDEE.

If you have used MFP only and said you were sedentary and are not, and do all these workouts and do not log them and eat more calories then - you are creating an even bigger deficit.

I'd be assuming that someone is understanding what maintenance means, and I've noticed in your posts nothing that gives me a clear indication you are taking a deficit from a decent TDEE figure, or are using MFP method.

How much are you eating in total on average?