Morbidly obese

Options
I dont know what to say. I've let myself become this giant walking creature of fat. Limited mobility is slowly cutting me off from the rest of the world. How do you start. Where does one start? How do you change what you think your worth.

Replies

• emmakent1004
    emmakent1004 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at morbidly obese. My best piece of advice is you’re not going to get it right all the time, so don’t get down about any slip ups. They won’t derail your progress! As long as you recognise the need the change your life for the future and pick yourself up after each set back, success is a definite!
    Start with reducing the amount you eat and keeping track of the healthy foods you are eating throughout the day. I picked up some light weights to start and did small exercise routines in my dorm room whenever I had time to burn some extra calories and start the toning process even before the excess fat was gone.
    Small steps make all the difference, as SoaringOccamy noted. Little treats here and there instead of cutting them out completely reduced the chances of binging or relapsing. Also building up your strength and stamina from lower to more intense exercise reduces the likelihood of injury.
    I believe in your ability to change your life. Just believe in yourself and you can achieve whatever your goals are, I know it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    BABY STEPS! Small, sustainable changes that you can keep up with. Maybe the first step is cutting one soda out of your day. Do that until it feels normal. Then make one other small change, maybe you commit to walking to the mailbox every day. Do that until it feels normal. Then pick another baby step. Rinse and repeat!!!

This thread is great. Give it a read.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I here ya! I can’t for the life of me understand how I let myself gain a further 50lbs since February when I had just lost that amount a mere 4 months prior. Now I’m back at the heaviest and most embarrassing weight I have ever been. Like what the hell was I thinking?! But I’m back at er since Monday as I can’t let this lifestyle continue. I have made a one year goal of not giving up even when I slip (as I will...). So good on you for realizing you want a change and try everyday to stick with it!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Maybe a 3-5 minute walk is a good starting point. Then, gradually increase it depending on how you feel. Depending on how limited your mobility is, you can adjust. Small steps to start with.

This might seem corny or funny, but no-joke, Richard Simmons made a video for people with limited mobility:

https://www.amazon.com/Reach-Fitness-Exercises-Physically-Challenged/dp/B00000680E
  • gjfredrick
    gjfredrick Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I understand completely how you feel. Starting is the hard part. I was also feeling isolated, the bigger I got the more I isolated myself. My mobility was affected also due to arthritis pain. I then realized how depressed I was and saw my Dr. who prescribed an antidepressant, now that mentally I am feeling so much better I can start on the physical process. I started with a physical to see what my numbers are and my GP suggested a Dr. who specializes in weight loss medication. Not everyone wants to take this route. But I am going to give it a shot. You have received a lot of helpful ideas. Richard Simmons videos are actually great to get moving. I wish you the best of luck. The first step is wanting to take back control of your life, do what works for you and keep at it. Small steps.
  • parkerbernadette2267
    Options
    I too am starting my journey as the drs tell me as morbidly obese, today is day 2 and at the moment I am still feeling positive but I know from past experience it is going to be hard.
    I have fibromyalgia and I suffer from pain all over my body daily, my weight probably contributes hugely to this. I now also have Achilles tendinitis in both feet again most likely due to my weight.
    I sit at a desk at work so don’t really move there and when I come home I sit on the sofa till I go to bed.
    I am in that much pain I can’t bare to move but I know I need to make big changes for my health and for my kids. We have a small dog so I am going to try to do a small work with him once a day to begin with and then increase to twice daily.
    This has also told me how many calories I can have a day so I am going to stick to that.
    If you want to add me as a friend so that we can support each other feel free to, it would be nice to have some support.
    Good luck in your journey
    Bernie xxx
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

You're not your weight, after all.
    🤗

Actually there’s an exercise for this. Stand in front of the mirror and say out loud- I have a hand but I am not my hand. I have a head but I am not my head. I have a face but I am not my face. You get the idea. Do as many as you want. Foot. Big toe. Liver. Right eye. SAT score. Whatever. Then move to stuff you may not be comfortable with. Stomach, number on the scale. However you think of it. Humans are complicated. We aren’t defined by any one thing. We are loaded with contradictions. It’s ok. Just how it is. But lots of things about you are true, not just how much you weigh.

The way I think about it is as I got bigger my life got smaller. Not only was I having trouble getting around, I cut myself off from family and friends because I was embarrassed.

Do you think every person is entitled to basic respect? Just basics. Should everyone be able to determine what they want for themselves? No, you can’t decide to live in your neighbor’s house. That’s encroaching on someone else. What about overweight people? Are they disqualified because of their weight? What about you? Are you entitled to basic respect? Or do you think you’re a special case? If you aren’t convinced yet go ahead and respond. I’ll gladly debate the issue with you right here if you want.

So if you’re going to respect yourself, you are going to have to put some action behind it. No one can do that for you. And standing up for respect is the right thing to do. Even if it is for yourself. Now you can act in service of a worthy cause- you.

If you want to lose weight, take heart. It can be done and the way to do it is well known. But the fact is that we won’t do much without hope. Gotta think we will get something for the effort. And you can. Calorie counting works. It really does. Find your way to a calorie deficit you can live with and you will lose weight. It has to work, its how our bodies are designed. Be prepared for the learning curve. People start, do a day or 2, make some sort of misstep and quit. Don’t. It takes time to learn the mechanics and more time to learn to live with it. But it works. You can have the life you want. We only get one. You can do this.