Net carbs

polysux
polysux Posts: 11 Member
recently I got a notification that the app now will recognize net carbs. Today I logged in something that showed 4 net carbs. Im thinking it doesn't deduct the sugar alcohol in the item? Or have I been over consuming carbs this whole time? Do we deduct sugar alcohol to get the net carbs?? Please help

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    polysux wrote: »
    recently I got a notification that the app now will recognize net carbs. Today I logged in something that showed 4 net carbs. Im thinking it doesn't deduct the sugar alcohol in the item? Or have I been over consuming carbs this whole time? Do we deduct sugar alcohol to get the net carbs?? Please help

I am not sure if the net carb features still counts sugar alcohols as a carb. It's unfortunate that sugar alcohols are tracked as a carb, because it's not.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member

I am not sure if mfp will track that or not.
    Some other users have asked but I dont see a response yet.

If the label says it has for example:

Carbs: 18g
    fiber: 2g
    sugar: 2g
    sugar alcohols 14g

your net carbs= total carb-fiber-sugar alcohol: 2g

if you can it in to my fitness pal and it still had it as 16g, (total carbs-fiber) it isnt deducting sugar alcohol.
    Also not sure where you are - I heard that in Europe that stuff is deducted already from the packaging -but I know at least in Canada and the USA it is not.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    MeganD1704 wrote: »

I am not sure if mfp will track that or not.
    Some other users have asked but I dont see a response yet.

If the label says it has for example:

Carbs: 18g
    fiber: 2g
    sugar: 2g
    sugar alcohols 14g

your net carbs= total carb-fiber-sugar alcohol: 2g

if you can it in to my fitness pal and it still had it as 16g, (total carbs-fiber) it isnt deducting sugar alcohol.
    Also not sure where you are - I heard that in Europe that stuff is deducted already from the packaging -but I know at least in Canada and the USA it is not.

MFP Premium now offers net carb tracking, although I'm not sure how it deals with sugar alcohols.