Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    @bmeadows380 congrats!! That has to feel good. I think the heat and humidity has been affecting my loss too...looking forward to what the fall brings. I did a maintenance break from thanksgiving through new years last year (and didn't track on any of the actual holidays). It was great, and I'll probably do it again. I hope it goes well for you and you get to enjoy the extra holiday food!

@conniewilkins56 congrats too! You'll hit the 250s so soon!

Today, I went to the office for the first time since early March. They are moving my team to a new floor. This was of course supposed to happen pre-pandemic, but has gotten pushed back. Feels silly...we still aren't actually going back to work (I doubt we'll be back at all this year)

Anyway I had to go in and pack today, so I biked to work! Now I biked to work and grad school every day for 4 years when I lived in DC. It was an easy 4 mile commute. But since we moved to the suburbs, I have been too intimidated and out of practice to really want to try. I did a partway commute a few times, but was so out of shape. I decided to try the full route today, made it there and back, only got a little lost, and it felt great to be out riding again! 8 miles each way, got to see my coworker friends (we went out for an outdoor restaurant week lunch), and feel great.

Biking is so much fun. It always makes me feel like a kid again. And I find it so satisfying? empowering? to get places under my own power. I'll definitely start up my bike commute when we eventually go back in!

I'm going to try the 2 month break this year too, except I think I'll take a page from NovusDies' guidebook on "Strategic Dieting for Longterm Weightloss Success" by eating at a small deficit the week leading up to Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day to give me extra calories on those two days to play with. That shouldn't be a problem since I'll be eating at maintenance during that period - my maintenance level is around 2200 calories, so shaving off even 500 a day for 6 days leading up to Thanksgiving to give me 3,000 extra calories for that day shouldn't be a problem for me at all.

We'll see how this works! I figure in addition to giving myself a mental break and my body a physical break from the stress of deficit eating, it will give me a long term practice period for maintenance; we'll see how well I do coming out the other end. Here's hoping that there isn't any regain, or that if there is, it stays under 5-10 lbs!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    @bmeadows380 congrats!! That has to feel good. I think the heat and humidity has been affecting my loss too...looking forward to what the fall brings. I did a maintenance break from thanksgiving through new years last year (and didn't track on any of the actual holidays). It was great, and I'll probably do it again. I hope it goes well for you and you get to enjoy the extra holiday food!

@conniewilkins56 congrats too! You'll hit the 250s so soon!

Today, I went to the office for the first time since early March. They are moving my team to a new floor. This was of course supposed to happen pre-pandemic, but has gotten pushed back. Feels silly...we still aren't actually going back to work (I doubt we'll be back at all this year)

Anyway I had to go in and pack today, so I biked to work! Now I biked to work and grad school every day for 4 years when I lived in DC. It was an easy 4 mile commute. But since we moved to the suburbs, I have been too intimidated and out of practice to really want to try. I did a partway commute a few times, but was so out of shape. I decided to try the full route today, made it there and back, only got a little lost, and it felt great to be out riding again! 8 miles each way, got to see my coworker friends (we went out for an outdoor restaurant week lunch), and feel great.

Biking is so much fun. It always makes me feel like a kid again. And I find it so satisfying? empowering? to get places under my own power. I'll definitely start up my bike commute when we eventually go back in!

I'm going to try the 2 month break this year too, except I think I'll take a page from NovusDies' guidebook on "Strategic Dieting for Longterm Weightloss Success" by eating at a small deficit the week leading up to Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day to give me extra calories on those two days to play with. That shouldn't be a problem since I'll be eating at maintenance during that period - my maintenance level is around 2200 calories, so shaving off even 500 a day for 6 days leading up to Thanksgiving to give me 3,000 extra calories for that day shouldn't be a problem for me at all.

We'll see how this works! I figure in addition to giving myself a mental break and my body a physical break from the stress of deficit eating, it will give me a long term practice period for maintenance; we'll see how well I do coming out the other end. Here's hoping that there isn't any regain, or that if there is, it stays under 5-10 lbs!

You'll do great! I think I gained maybe 1 or 2 real pounds last year (thinking back I did not log from Christmas to new years lol). The extra food waste volume, carb-induced water retention, and flying-induced water retention showed a jump of about 6 lbs when we got home in January, but it dropped relatively quickly, except for those 2 pesky ones lol.

I think I'll do Novus' tip as well this year...slight deficit before the actual holiday.

I enjoyed it last year, and it should be good timing for another break this year!
  • Well, today I managed to eat a hamburger without having chips on the side. Admittedly, I was in the grip of intense emotions and didn't care one way or the other but I didn't want a migraine too, but now that I've done it once I can entertain the possibility of doing it again.

It's not that I'm stopping eating chips. I'd just like to get it to where my brain feels that it's optional, not required.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,274 Member
    Well, today I managed to eat a hamburger without having chips on the side. Admittedly, I was in the grip of intense emotions and didn't care one way or the other but I didn't want a migraine too, but now that I've done it once I can entertain the possibility of doing it again.

It's not that I'm stopping eating chips. I'd just like to get it to where my brain feels that it's optional, not required.
    I love that statement. I feel the same way about a lot of eating behaviors or things I associate with each other.
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    So, a question about exercise calories. For some reason, myfitness absolutely does not want to sync with my Fitbit for my steps/workout today, so I'm probably going to have to manually put in my exercise with the calories for now.

I know Fitbit counts both calories burned during exercise and your normal calories burned just by breathing :P So, my question is, how do I transfer that over for the workout calories? For example, I just did a quick 20-minute workout, and my Fitbit said I burned 260 calories, so, how many of those did I actually burn while working out?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    So, a question about exercise calories. For some reason, myfitness absolutely does not want to sync with my Fitbit for my steps/workout today, so I'm probably going to have to manually put in my exercise with the calories for now.

I know Fitbit counts both calories burned during exercise and your normal calories burned just by breathing :P So, my question is, how do I transfer that over for the workout calories? For example, I just did a quick 20-minute workout, and my Fitbit said I burned 260 calories, so, how many of those did I actually burn while working out?

When you figure this out let me know lol...I have a Fitbit Versa but I just put my exercise calories in manually on MFP...I only eat back about 25% of my exercise calories...
  • rieraclaelin
    I could probably go to the main boards and find out, but, I've kinda learned to avoid them, honestly. There are a lot of, uh, I don't know how to explain it. People who have different medical conditions that do a lot of posting there, and my anxiety kicks in and I start freaking out that I have something wrong with my kidneys, or I'm doing something wrong and it's actually hurting more than helping :P To keep my anxiety down, I've just been living on this group here. And I'm not saying there aren't medical conditions here, because I know there are, but it's not as in your face here as it is on the main boards
  • conniewilkins56
    I could probably go to the main boards and find out, but, I've kinda learned to avoid them, honestly. There are a lot of, uh, I don't know how to explain it. People who have different medical conditions that do a lot of posting there, and my anxiety kicks in and I start freaking out that I have something wrong with my kidneys, or I'm doing something wrong and it's actually hurting more than helping :P To keep my anxiety down, I've just been living on this group here. And I'm not saying there aren't medical conditions here, because I know there are, but it's not as in your face here as it is on the main boards

We could start a “ boo- boo” thread on here where we could tell about all of our operations,diseases etc lol....
  • rieraclaelin
    We are going to a friend's house for dinner tonight, and he's making us some homemade pizza. Not ally I'd pass, but, I've kinda banked calories all week, and I haven't had any food like this in about three months, so, I'm going to let myself have a few slices.

But it will already be made by the time I get there, so I won't have a way to kind of figure out how many calories and stuff there are per slice. And there are so many different ones on the database that are barely filled out, or are wildly different :p does anyone have any homemade pizza (pepperoni and cheese) entries that you use? Preferably one that includes carbs/protein/fat/fiber?
  • rieraclaelin
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971

Thanks, that's probably what I will end up doing!

He knows that I'm counting calories and stuff, my husband told him when he first invited us over for dinner. So, I'm kind of hoping he left packages out for me to be able to input it myself, but, I'm also kind of seriously doubting it :p

I'm bringing a bunch of fresh veggies with me so that I have other things to fill me up, too, that way I don't just over eat on pizza and feel like crap tomorrow, even if I do have the calories to spend. I'd rather use them on good stuff, you know?
  • What I'd do would be to eat a piece slowly, eat some veggies, eat the second piece slowly, eat more veggies, and see if you still are empty enough for the third piece. And work to actually enjoy the sensory experience of the pizza when you eat that first piece; we all know we can just stuff down six without noticing, but that's not good for us. I find that if I focus on the taste experience and eat slowly, I get full and then I'm okay to walk away from it, because I'm full.
  • Rashel_kitten
    Rashel_kitten Posts: 81 Member
    I can only hope to get to walking multiple miles in a day i just started about 2 weeks ago walking and i walked a mile in 16 minutes or so then 2 days later i walked a mile again around the same time in the evening and it took me just over 30 minutes! Then each time since its taking me right at 30 minutes i cant seem to do it any faster now but for now im happy with 2 days a week walking my mile in another week i plan to try for 3 days...then id like to go for 1.5 miles ...i dont want to increase it too much too soon and loose my motivation...
  • I shoveled loose dirt for an hour tonight. Now, three hours later my lower back is beginning to discuss how I was bending over to the dirt to shovel it, but it's no worse than its discussion on standing in the grocery line behind the double coupon woman. And I'll go to bed on time, but there's nothing new about that.

I haven't been able to do physical work like that for years. I am very very happy about this!

(The people who replaced the sewer line from the house to the road left what looked like a giant molehill from the house to the road. We left it alone for two months to see if any of it wanted to subside, and today Younger Son and I leveled it out. We'll give it a couple weeks to get rained on and subside again, and level it again.)
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Husband and I went on a morning bike ride today. The weather was perfect, the trail was gorgeous, and we made it 24 miles (well technically 23.93). It has been probably 2 years since I biked this far! And, while I was tired, I could have kept going and easily gotten in another 10-20 miles without difficulty. There were small but frequent hills at our halfway point, and they were actually really fun! In the last 6 years of cycling, I have never once enjoyed a hill. I was feeling a pleasant burn in my legs, my lungs were doing great, and I felt strong. Now my legs are exhausted tonight lol, but it feels really good. This was the longest ride husband has ever done by a solid 10 miles. He did great - I'm so glad I've gotten him hooked on biking! My next plan is to get him ready for the 50 mile fall Cider Ride. (I obviously also need to prep a bit, but I've done the ride twice before, once with literally zero preparation, and know that I can push through to finish it regardless).
  • conniewilkins56
    Glad you are home safe and a little more rested than when you left!...maybe you could hold off on your next diet break to help make up for the past week...your good sense skinny brain will kick in again soon and the water weight will go down...welcome back!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Pizza: evaluate if thin, deep dish, in between, very cheesy, greasy, not so much.
    Compare to store frozen pizza and known big chains. I personally use Dr Oetker's, Pizza Hut, and Domino's or Freshslice because they are nearby and people I know often order so I have them as ready references.

Fitbit: Integration does the exact same thing I am going to suggest that you do to log.

Look at your MFP maintenance calories based on the activity level you have selected. Not your "eating" calories but your "maintenance" calories.

The use Fitbit.com's dashboard or your phone app to see your TOTAL calories for the day.

Subtract one from the other, the difference gets transferred over as an exercise adjustment.

This will work most easily/perfectly right after midnight because MFP assigns your calories equally throughout the day while Fitbit assigns 1.0x BMR calories when you're inactive without anything detected.

(But: I really want to look at things before midnight!)
    Oh no... stop reading now your head will explode!
    Really? You insist?
    Well then.
    You need to bring out all your fingers and your toes because we will have ta do some rithmetic!

MFP sedentary is 1.25 * BMR Calories. This gets split through 1440 minutes in a day. So at any point of time during your day you have been assigned a maintenance estimate of: 1.25 * BMR / 1440 * minutes of day to right now.

You can compare that number to Fitbit's TDEE at this exact point of time and the difference is the number integration would use.

HOWEVER. MFP will continue assigning 1.25 * BMR till midnight. Fitbit will NOT exceed 1.0 * BMR unless it detects movement. So you will lose about 0.25 * BMR calories per minute to midnight from that adjustment you performed earlier. (google MFP BMR or mifflin BMR for the number for yourself. 1.25 becomes 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8 depending on activity level)
  • bmeadows380
    I got my hiking in yesterday! Only 2 hours worth and only 5 miles, but I was carrying a 10 lb backpack and it did include some hills.

Body is starting to let go of the extra water, too - I was down 2 lbs this morning. I'm planning to push mow the lawn this evening, so that might stall out the water loss.

Only 1 thing on the rather irritating front: I had intended to end yesterday under deficit. After the hike, I stopped at Wendy's and got dinner. Then on the way home, I checked and saw I had plenty of extra calories left, so I picked up a McDonald's apple pie. AT home, right before bed, I remembered the watermelon in the fridge, and took out a bowl of that. As I was munching on the watermelon, I sat down at the computer to get it into my food log for the day - and saw that I had forgotten the junior frosty I had at Wendy's. So when I put that in, I ended up over limit by 30 calories.

I know, I know - 30 calories isn't a big deal, but I was still irritated at myself for it.
  • bmeadows380
    today is weight record day, and I weighed in at 224.5 lbs, which is only 0.4 lbs over my recorded weight 2 weeks ago. Meaning most of that 7 lbs of water weight/excess food weight from last week is gone - which has dropped off much faster than the water weight gain from my first of August camping trip. The weather patterns have changed here, however, and we are having early fall temps and humidity levels which is adding credence to my theories on humidity playing a huge part in my struggles with plateaus and the scale.

Monday I got some hiking in, Tuesday I push mowed for 2 1/2 hours, yesterday I push mowed for 1 1/2 hours, and today I plan to help the parents cut firewood, though I looked at my work calendar and realized I had a conference call at 10 that I've got to do, so instead of getting to help them from 9:30 like I planned, I'm going to have to wait until 10:30. And I have to quit by 1:30 to be ready for a 2 pm conference call.

The all time lowest weight I hit was 222.1 lbs, so I'm still 2.4 lbs above that. Some of that may still be some water, though some and maybe even all may be true weight gain from last week, too - 1,000 calories over maintenance for 5 days in a row isn't really that far fetched, especially as my activity was down to pretty much 0 during that time because of the weather. But I don't think I was truly over by that much every day, so its most likely that maybe 0.5 lb MAYBE a pound tops of that could really be fat regain; the rest is still water. Hopefully it will continue to drop off quickly and next week's weight in will reflect back to the 222 lbs - I still hold hopes of being 220 by the first of October and 2 lbs in 3 weeks really shouldn't be hard to achieve if this were a perfect universe lol With humidity levels dropping and fall weather coming in, my holding water will hopefully start to ease up so if I can behave myself, tighten up the sloppy recording and can get some willpower back over "hunger brain" I could do it.