What book are you reading?

Replies

• MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    Where the Crowdads Sing by Delia Owens. Interesting so far.

i loved that book - i hope you enjoy it! one of my favorites....

• MiNinaLisa
    edited August 2020
    Waiting by Ha Jin, the story about a man in China in the 60s and 70s who wants to divorce his wife (arranged marriage) and marry the woman he loves, but it takes, like, 18 years. So yeah...a lot of waiting.

I also just finished the memoir Educated by Tara Westover which was fascinating, heartbreaking, infuriating (I swear to god my blood pressure spiked) and frustrating. Crazytown.

i agree on Educated - it was a very difficult book to read - i had to read another book at the same time! my daughter read it also and said the same thing. but an important read - for sure
  • MiNinaLisa
    an10456wjuwm.jpg

Farewell to the sea by the Cuban dissident writer Reinaldo Arenas. i'm struggling through this as it's stream of consciousness writing, which is not my preference. i'm not a quitter when it comes to reading so i'll attempt to continue it...
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,303 Member
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (1986!!)

Not too far in...reminds me sort of a cross between Emma Bull's Bone Dance, Stephan Barnes' Firedance and Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon (brain modification bits)...
  • genetix71
    genetix71 Posts: 44 Member
    William Gibson - Neuromancer (again)
  • melaniedscott
    Always reading this book P.E.T. Parent Effectiveness Training to try to communicate better with family..
    https://youtu.be/9iwN6d3rRaI

You might check out Crucial Conversations and Crucial Accountability published by Vital Smarts (there are four or five authors)--they're not about parenting so much as communication skills (important for parenting, coparenting, adulting & generally humaning. . .
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    The Library Book by Susan Orlean
  • melaniedscott
    edited September 2020
    Streetlethal by Stephan Barnes (the book I was actually thinking of in my last post...Firedance is the third book...there are three!)

AND

Diamond Fire by Ilona Andrews

I realized today that somewhere, in my head, I have decided it is apocolypse reading season. The last book I read (When Gravity Fails]) is post-apocalypse. Streetlethal and its two sequels are post apocalypse...A while back, I read A Few Good Men by Sarah A Hoyt, a terrible book...and post-apocalypse. Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series is post-apocalypse and the Hidden Legacy is a warding off apocalypse story line. And I'm likely to pick up Bone Dance (also post-apocalypse!) when I'm done with what I'm on now...Who knew I was so into apocalypse books!?!

It's apocalypse season, guys!
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky.

It's about how to become a happier person using techniques that have been researched and proven to work by Positive Psychology. I'm working through the exercises.
  • bearzzly
    bearzzly Posts: 3 Member
    Currently reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I only regret that I didn't read it earlier, what an amazing book!
  • melaniedscott
    bearzzly wrote: »
    Currently reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I only regret that I didn't read it earlier, what an amazing book!

That series is pretty good. Someone gave it to me and I enjoyed it.
  • Joy_stick79
    Joy_stick79 Posts: 71 Member
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    The Florentine Codex
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    Dirk McAwesome and the Giant Fire Breathing Space Ants
  • CarbsAndCoffee41
    CarbsAndCoffee41 Posts: 264 Member
    Sea Glass Castle. So far it's funny yet sad.
  • HeathieM
    HeathieM Posts: 173 Member
    Intentional Parenting.

Trying to raise a tween over here lol
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Wild at Heart
    Alice Outwater
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    ad4j7fs27pbp.jpeg