Non Scale Victories

Replies

• bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,273 Member
    edited August 2020
    Awesome job, @amart4224 !!! Ice cream is something I generally still can't have in my house.

By the way, if at any point it becomes a temptation, then toss it and don't worry about wasting food. That's my opinion anyway. :)
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Just saying that I love all the NSVs. They motivate me much more than the scale. Congrats to all. I hope to have one myself to share one day.
  • I don't have that big a calling for ice cream, but on the occasions I do I keep some of those little single serving vanilla cups in the freezer in the garage. That with a puddle of chocolate syrup is only 130 cals, so not unworkable. It's just that 90% of the time I'd rather spend the calories on something else. (shrug)

I am going to have to clear out all the old tops I had when I started this journey. They are just too big now. I was wearing them in the house for work clothes, but that's just unworkable now. So now everything I have on (except my socks and shoes; my feet haven't changed size) is a size I didn't fit in when I started this in January. That feels pretty big to me.

I'm also going to have to get more shirts, because I only have five, and I like to have about nine at a time. (Week plus 2) It would help if I lost about an inch around the hips and then I could get into the other two pairs of jeans I have in the drawer. I do not have a lot of clothing.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    1. Two days of night-splint and ice massage has my heel feeling much better already! I went for two walks, without any pain/stiffness in the evening. I slept in today, so didn't have time for a pre-work walk. Depending on the weather, I might try another one this afternoon.

2. At the beginning of summer, I realized how big my arms must have gotten because I saw quit a lot of floppy skin pooling around my elbows. There was still plenty of fat stretching that skin out. But it disappointed me more than I had expected - elbows aren't something I'm particularly vain about! In the mirror this morning, I noticed that my elbows were less hidden in that floppy skin! There is still some excess of course (and more fat to lose), but the excess skin is so much less noticeable. It is kind of fascinating to see where and how my skin flops or tightens up as my weight drops.
  • eliezalot wrote: »
    1. Two days of night-splint and ice massage has my heel feeling much better already! I went for two walks, without any pain/stiffness in the evening. I slept in today, so didn't have time for a pre-work walk. Depending on the weather, I might try another one this afternoon.

2. At the beginning of summer, I realized how big my arms must have gotten because I saw quit a lot of floppy skin pooling around my elbows. There was still plenty of fat stretching that skin out. But it disappointed me more than I had expected - elbows aren't something I'm particularly vain about! In the mirror this morning, I noticed that my elbows were less hidden in that floppy skin! There is still some excess of course (and more fat to lose), but the excess skin is so much less noticeable. It is kind of fascinating to see where and how my skin flops or tightens up as my weight drops.

I'm seeing something similar in my stomach. It matters less if I lose floppiness there, because the diastasis won't repair itself and I'll be having surgery for that anyway. But there's much less flop as it shrinks than I anticipated.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I carry a lot of weight in my arms...swimming is certainly helping to tighten the skin up and I am building some muscle...I do not think I will opt to have any surgery for excess skin removal...I have had enough operations for two lifetimes!...and at my age, surgery is a big deal....I also know I will be having a cyst removed from the top of my foot this fall...( it’s the kind people used to hit with a Bible to remove!...I am not doing that )....I have been looking at skin sleeves to wear under your clothing...they come in all colors and designs, some even with tattoos on them lol... They look like they work to give your arms a nice appearance...
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @DDino22 - Your NSV is a really big deal. Congratulations! You are really making a difference in your health. And I don't think you are alone in moving from being a social drinker to a "why the f*** not?" drinker during these times, but also kudos to you for seeing it and doing something about it. For those times when you do want to drink, instead of hard seltzer a low calorie option that I sometimes indulge in is flavored vodka and plain soda water. Better tasting than Hard Seltzer, 0 carbs (if you are counting those) and 80 calories for a 1 ounce pour.

@eliezalot - I'm glad the icing, splinting, resting routine is working! And I think you already know about my arm story - huge bat wings eventually shrunk as I lost more fat. The skin won't tighten until you lose the fat that is stretching it down, but if you keep going it can happen.
    There is hope!
  • I also know I will be having a cyst removed from the top of my foot this fall...( it’s the kind people used to hit with a Bible to remove!...I am not doing that )

I had one of those removed from my wrist in my early twenties. It wasn't a big deal and I've never had any problem with it since.

• conniewilkins56
    I also know I will be having a cyst removed from the top of my foot this fall...( it’s the kind people used to hit with a Bible to remove!...I am not doing that )

I had one of those removed from my wrist in my early twenties. It wasn't a big deal and I've never had any problem with it since.

Good to know....I have no idea how they will do the one on my foot!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Did you all know that we have BONES under the fat? I just realized that I can feel some of mine. I grabbed my forearm yesterday and was shocked to realize that when I squeezed, there was something hard under there! Today I massaged my shoulder, and realized that there are bones back there too! I feel like I'm so much more breakable without my thicker layers of padding!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Did you all know that we have BONES under the fat? I just realized that I can feel some of mine. I grabbed my forearm yesterday and was shocked to realize that when I squeezed, there was something hard under there! Today I massaged my shoulder, and realized that there are bones back there too! I feel like I'm so much more breakable without my thicker layers of padding!

@eliezalot

oh yes, I know that feeling! right now my wrists look tiny to me, and back in the summer, I was shocked to find out I had ribs; I was getting dressed one day and was standing in front of the mirror fixing my hair and noticed these bulges right above my tummy. I stopped, felt them and realized I was seeing my rib cage!
  • conniewilkins56
    Let me tell you about knowing you have ribs!...maybe if I had kept more padding on them,they would not hurt so bad!
  • bmeadows380
    Let me tell you about knowing you have ribs!...maybe if I had kept more padding on them,they would not hurt so bad!

@conniewilkins56 I hope those are doing better for you! My mom has strained her ribs doing work above her head a month ago; the problem is, I can't get her slow down enough to let them heal. *sigh*

On the NSV front: I'm finding it amusing the random places my body decides to take the fat from. Even though I'm still carrying extra water weight right now, I still decided to go ahead and update my measurements. My actual waist has not changed in 4 months. My hips, however, have dropped 2 1/2 inches since June, my bust is down 2 inches, while my "high waist" or that muffin top above my actual waist, held steady for 3 months from May until August but is now 2 inches below that number as well.

I can understand why the bust, hips, and muffin top are losing fat faster, considering I have more fat packed onto those areas, and trust me losing some of the hips is great! Though really, I'm happy with the bust where it is now......

So measurements are at least showing some progress, even though the scale is being frustrating!
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member

Though really, I'm happy with the bust where it is now......

If only we could tell the body which parts we want to be smaller! The only somewhat nice thing about gaining weight was that I actually had cleavage for once in my life! I know that when I get to my goal weight I'll have given up my overflowing C cup and be back to barely filling out a B cup 😒
  • bmeadows380
    amart4224 wrote: »

Though really, I'm happy with the bust where it is now......

If only we could tell the body which parts we want to be smaller! The only somewhat nice thing about gaining weight was that I actually had cleavage for once in my life! I know that when I get to my goal weight I'll have given up my overflowing C cup and be back to barely filling out a B cup 😒

I was at a DD cup and have deflated down to a C cup (and deflated truly is the most apropos word for it lol) I'm very happy to have lost some there; the relief to my back has been wonderful, but I'm quite happy where I'm at right now - the bust and the high waist, at least, are proportional!