Protein shakes and bars

Hi I’m relatively new to actively trying to eat properly, I’ve always had a healthy-ish diet but now I’m really focusing on protein intake to gain weight and muscle. I’ve been having one protein bar a day along with naturally high in protein foods the most I’ve gotten to is 50g of protein so I was wondering if it’s okay to have a protein shake and a protein bar in the same day? Obviously these aren’t replacing my meals they’re just adding to my protein intake.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Yep. Just fine.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Agreed. I like both in a day's time. It makes everything fun. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited August 2020
    Protein is protein, no matter the source.

I am perplexed that you are only getting to about 50 grams per day with a protein bar included. Center your meals on the protein. My breakfast is nearly always plain greek yogurt, mixed with protein powder and berries. That usually gets me about 40 g of protein, just at breakfast. If I had oatmeal or waffles, I'd never hit my protein goal.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Yep.

I have 4 scoops of whey a day with the addition of a protein bar on harder work days. That's ontop of my animal and grain sourced protein.

I also agree with @quiksylver296 . With the addition of a protein bar. Which are generally in the 20g range. I have no idea how you're only getting 50g a day. What is your total calorie intake? Because I'm worried it might be extremely low with that amount of protein.

I personally get over 100g a day before touching any whey. Just from eating meats, grains, and produce

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2020

I am perplexed that you are only getting to about 50 grams per day with a protein bar included. Center your meals on the protein. My breakfast is nearly always plain greek yogurt, mixed with protein powder and berries. That usually gets me about 40 g of protein, just at breakfast. If I had oatmeal or waffles, I'd never hit my protein goal.

I share @quiksylver296's perplexity. If you are concentrating on raising your protein it seems odd to only be getting 50g per day.

Have you recently switched to a plant based only diet? Sometimes people that are new to that WOE struggle with protein.

ETA: When I read that I realize it may look like I am badmouthing PB diets. WOE = way of eating.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I do it all the time.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    I like RX bars, they don’t taste chalky, I think they taste yummy. And there’s no refine sugar (I know sugar is sugar but at least they’re sweetened with figs so they have a lower glycemic index)
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    I honestly do it everyday. Nothing wrong to having both. Heck, have 2 bars while at it. Protein can be hard to intake, especially when your appetite isn’t there on a busy day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2020

I didn't pluck the disagree button 👀

There are different grades of protien from high quality to low quality. There literally is a whey protien product that is/was highly marketed by a extremely well known fitness corporation. One problem it's missing all the EAAs(one could only assume they removed them). Without EAAs such as Leucine, valine, isoleucine...MPS cannot take place. In this case it would make protien only a energy source and inferior to other protein sources.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

ditto. As a meat & dairy-eater, I'm usually way over my minimum.