Introduce Yourself

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    tess77h wrote: »
    Hello, I'm Teresa., 61 years old. Happily married for 42 years, have 3 grown children and 6 granddaughters. Weight issues are a big part of our family and I would love to lead them all to victory in their struggles but I've never had success in any attempts I've made to take the pounds off. I would love to loss any amount of weight but my long term goal is 100 pounds. I've been active on MFP several times over the past years.

I was diagnosed as a type II diabetic 20+ years ago but did not take it serious so now I'm struggling with Diabetic Macular Edema in my right eye. I do not like exercise so that is one of my biggest areas that I need encouragement and support. I have a stationery cycle at home but haven't been on it for a long time. I have lower back pain so I'm not able to walk too far, however I believe if I started walking more it would get better.

I do a fair job of tracking what I eat here on MFP but I love food and enjoy eating and that is a problem.

Hi @tess77h Teresa,

Welcome.

If you are just restarting I would get back into your food habits/logging and push exercise off for a couple of weeks. You can certainly try moving around the house more now. If you want do do some short walks that would also be a good idea. I just would not be pushing yourself just yet. One of the common mistakes is trying to overhaul your current lifestyle too fast. It is better, imo, to allow weight loss to happen instead of forcing it. Forcing it is adding a lot of requirements like healthy eating and certain food restrictions to your plan. You obviously need to control your carbs in addition to calories but beyond that it is just getting your hunger under control.

If you want to show your family a successful weight loss then make it look easy. In doing so it hopefully will be as easy as possible a fair amount of the time.

Spend some time thinking about the idea that you love food. Consider that continued excess eating will cost you a lot. What does food really give you but a moment of fleeting pleasure before you are forced to take another bite for more? What does it take and threaten to take from you to provide those brief moments of pleasure? You do not need to post anything back in this regard but challenge your notions. It doesn't mean you have to hate food but perhaps it can help move you to a place where you have greater perspective and love food only when it is appropriate for your health.
  • NovusDies
    BethB554 wrote: »
    Hello all. I'm Beth. I am 36 and 276 lbs. I am married with 4 kids (ages 15, 14, 8 and 3) and my parents moved in with us this year. Being in the sandwich generation is no joke, y'all. I have gained over 50 lbs this year after my dad got sick and moved in with us Nov 2019. It's been very emotional, especially when you add in COVID, isolation school, blended family schedules on top of a two teens and a THREENAGER. I ate to deal with things, or rather, to avoid dealing with my own things while I take care of everyone else's things.

I've just come back to MFP under a new user name because it's worked for me in the past. I am looking forward to making new friends and being part of a supportive community. Anyone else finding themselves in the care giving sandwich?

Hi @BethB554 Beth,

Welcome to LL.

The closest I came was preparing to move in her grandmother after the holidays several years ago. Her ability to care for herself was declining rapidly so the plan was one more set of holidays and move her in, in January. She managed to go on her terms because she died still living in her home of 40+ years just after Christmas.

I cannot speak from any experience but I have to believe that taking care of yourself is actually more important right now and I am glad you are on the way.

Please let us know how we can help.
  • BethB554
    BethB554 Posts: 12 Member
    @NovusDies That is close! I am glad to hear she got her wish. I agree that I need to take care of myself first so I can take care of the others. It's just hard to get things to work out that way sometimes. I think having my own thing here in the groups will help. Y'all understand how mentally difficult it can be to stay on track. I hope to build some supportive relationships here that encourage me to persevere and find alternatives to emotional eating. I joined the FAT 2 FIT group and am excited for their challenges coming up. Thanks for responding. I look forward to chatting with you on the boards!
  • BethB554
    BethB554 Posts: 12 Member
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 I can understand that. I always knew dementia was a possibility for dad because my grandfather had it. I am an only child so I knew it would be me helping if they needed help. I just didn't think it would be so early (they are both in their 60s) and I thought mom was much more self reliant then she actually is.

You must be so proud of your sons! Not every grandchild would step in to do heavy lifting at grandma's! It's great that you step in to give FIL a break too. It can be difficult to be the caregiver all the time.

Thanks for the reply. It helps to feel less alone.
  • I have a couple good men for sons. Eldest is THRILLED because his welding classes are starting back up. (Welding is kind of naturally socially distanced, right? LOL!) and Younger is having Boyfriend Issues. Oh, the drama.(roll eyes) But you can't tell 20 year olds anything. But they're basically good guys and I have faith that it will all work out.

My boyfriend is an only child too. I do a lot of caregiving at home because the three of us have some major mental health disorders and part of what keeps us all functional is routine, and no drama, and a lot of talking and radical acceptance. But I like to caregive.

Just make sure to take very good care of yourself, because dementia is exhausting to everyone around. I would recommend therapy so that you have someone who isn't down in the middle of it to talk to. If you start now, you can have it comfortably in place when you really need it. Plus, I have to say, losing weight often means unpacking a whole lot of stuff you hid under the fat.
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    HI! Jess here, 32, first time mom. Prior to being pregnant I had lost a fair amount of weight (60+) but it started creeping up while trying to get pregnant. I was okay with the amount I gained while pregnant, but then post delivering I ended up gaining a lot of weight (way more than I did while pregnant). I had back/hip issues postpartum which made it hard to walk, go upstairs etc. That finally started to get better, and then my knee gave out and I broke my ankle. I'm currently still recovering from that and unable to weight bear. My weight had creeped up to 300lbs, highest weight of my whole life. My first goal is to get below 200, ideally I'd like to get to the 160-170 range, I'm 5'8.
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    HI! Jess here, 32, first time mom. Prior to being pregnant I had lost a fair amount of weight (60+) but it started creeping up while trying to get pregnant. I was okay with the amount I gained while pregnant, but then post delivering I ended up gaining a lot of weight (way more than I did while pregnant). I had back/hip issues postpartum which made it hard to walk, go upstairs etc. That finally started to get better, and then my knee gave out and I broke my ankle. I'm currently still recovering from that and unable to weight bear. My weight had creeped up to 300lbs, highest weight of my whole life. My first goal is to get below 200, ideally I'd like to get to the 160-170 range, I'm 5'8.

Welcome CDL. We have all arrived here with a lot of weight to lose. My dog makes me exercise every morning! That habit got established and has made losing weight possible....,I have a terrible time losing if I don't exercise....anyway, glad you're here!
  • NovusDies

Hi @crazydogladyjess Jess,

Welcome.

I have a crazy dog if you need an extra!

If you have a broken ankle be really careful about how much deficit you are in. Ideally it would be none while your body recovers but it certainly should not be a full deficit because your energy needs are higher right now. Also, eat a lot of protein.

Different people react to goals in different ways. I have not seen a lot of people who are successful though with a first goal that is more than a year away like your sub 200 goal. You might want to consider having a lot of small goals that give you more opportunities to "win" along the way. I like to have daily wins and I think weight goals are less satisfying than NSVs but again different people react differently.

In any event your first goal needs to be to fully recover. Please heal fast!

• Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    gg2007 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm Harriet from the UK, i started this journey with over 250+ to lose...its been a journey with LOTS of ups and down, and so far am at 170+ loss. I'm really determined to get these last 80lbs off!! I've been yoyoing up and down the past few years...literally!

At the start i was into fad diets, but they didnt work for me....what has got me through is balance....eating right and doing exercise. Look forward to connecting with you!

wow. you have done amazing!
  • NovusDies
    Hi all

I'm Harriet from the UK, i started this journey with over 250+ to lose...its been a journey with LOTS of ups and down, and so far am at 170+ loss. I'm really determined to get these last 80lbs off!! I've been yoyoing up and down the past few years...literally!

At the start i was into fad diets, but they didnt work for me....what has got me through is balance....eating right and doing exercise. Look forward to connecting with you!

Hi @gg2007 Harriet,

Welcome to LL.

You have done great. You are in the home stretch but if you are like me it doesn't really feel that way. I suppose for me it is because when I lost 100 and I only had 200ish to go I could remember a time when all I had to lose was 200. Even now with only 20ish to go I can remember as a teen when this was my heaviest and I was miserable.

I am glad you are here.
  • rwood566 wrote: »
    hi everyone. i'm roger. i just joined the site yesterday and this group today. i've been on my downward journey since march 2019. i topped out at 566 and had been house-bound for 1 1/2 years. i got professional help sent out to me since i couldn't fit into a car to go to my dr. appointments. i've been doing my own rough food log since early december. i didn't count calories but just logged what i ate and drank and if i felt it was to much. i'm now at 417 today. i came here to get the hard core counting down just in case i decide to have bariatric surgery. i've been doing my changes one at a time and i believe now is the time for this move. i'm finding out that large scale weight loss is a long haul but it is doable. i never thought thought i'd last 2 months, much less 18 months.

Welcome, Roger! It is a long haul, and this is the place with people who have done it and are still here keeping it off. I'm really proud of the work you've done so far, and I'm sure that you'll be able to do it.

My boyfriend had bariatric surgery, and I'm not having that, and there are others around here who have chosen various routes and approaches. There's a lot of experience and wisdom here, and support as well.
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    rwood566 wrote: »
    hi everyone. i'm roger. i just joined the site yesterday and this group today. i've been on my downward journey since march 2019. i topped out at 566 and had been house-bound for 1 1/2 years. i got professional help sent out to me since i couldn't fit into a car to go to my dr. appointments. i've been doing my own rough food log since early december. i didn't count calories but just logged what i ate and drank and if i felt it was to much. i'm now at 417 today. i came here to get the hard core counting down just in case i decide to have bariatric surgery. i've been doing my changes one at a time and i believe now is the time for this move. i'm finding out that large scale weight loss is a long haul but it is doable. i never thought thought i'd last 2 months, much less 18 months.

Welcome Roger....glad you joined us. This group is quite active and helpful...I joined a couple of months ago and found it to be a great help....
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Hello Roger-welcome to the group!
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Welcome Jess and Harriet-look forward to following your journey’s. It’s a great group!
  • southernskeeter
    southernskeeter Posts: 26 Member
    Hi Roger welcome to the group
  • stewartt3260
    stewartt3260 Posts: 25 Member
    Hi all. I’m Ty 25 with well over 100lbs to lose and not sure where to really start but I know it’ll be a long painful journey. Thought joining a group might make it bearable.
    Take care
  • gg2007
    gg2007 Posts: 71 Member
    Fred77 wrote: »
    Hi all

wow. you have done amazing!

Thanks Fred! :-)