WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Machka: I hope your dental procedures work well for you. Being able to chew is important for overall health. I’m due for a trip to the dentist, too, but I’m putting it off until the Covid 19 health issues are less worrisome. :star:

Barbara: I’m so sorry that Joe has eye pain. I hope the surgical procedures work well and he will be pain free. Making wills is something we need to do, too. :flowerforyou:

Terri: My favorite part of your goals is your list of things you get to do. What a positive mind set! :bigsmile:

Lisa in AR: Happy September backatcha. :star:

I had a delightful facetime call from our daughter last night. I got to chat with her briefly and spent a good long time chatting with her older boy. He just had his 6th birthday and was very happy with his gift from us. We bought him a tent and he loves it. The tent is his fort. He and his friends can play in it and may be able to have an overnight there eventually. I also had a good long chat with our granddaughter. The youngest boy was off doing something else during the call.

Here are my September 2020 Resolutions. They are familiar to me, because they work.

September 2020 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Abstain from alcohol.

Halt Stress :

1. Am I hungry?
    2. Am I angry?
    3. Am I lonely?
    4: Am I tired?

For any yes answer, you have a practical way to help yourself. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am angry I can find a way to address the problem that caused anger. If I’m lonely, I can chat with this wonderful group, or DH, or call a friend. If I’m tired I can rest or sleep. It doesn’t make life perfect, but it sure helps smooth out some bumps.
    Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Thanks Barbie

1. Get the projects done that need to be done to get ready for winter.
    2. Start walking Drew earlier at night. Eventually it will have to be a 4 we get dark by 5 in Nov.
    3. Keep paring down on things
    4. Take time to write or paint
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Dental Update:
    I've broken most of the tooth off flat across the gum. So I've got a "stump" that's pretty much flush with the gum.

What we're going to try is that she will build the area up in a "filling-in-a-cage" like she did two times before ... and then she'll install a crown. I've decided to go with a crown.

Fortunately it's only about $1500 so it isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! :)

If, when she's working on the tooth, she thinks we'd do better with a root canal, we'll go that route but right now, the tooth is still alive and not very painful so at this point, she doesn't think I'll need a root canal.

However, we will talk about a custom night mouthguard. I have tried the store-bought ones and none have fit me. They're so big! My dentist figures I just need a small one that is fairly specific to the area where I'm grinding.

Machka in Oz

I am having dental issues too. My bridge broke and they have quoted me 2400 to put in a new one. They are trying to get it approved by my insurance, so far, no luck.

I too grind and going to buy a guard off amazon.

Best if luck to you.

Mary
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    good morning everyone. I think i figured out how to bookmark this page.

Well i went over calories yesterday but logged it all. Not crazy calories except for that free Panera cookie. Last night i made fresh spring rolls for lunch today. So no ordering out.

My goal is to fit in two days of strength training a week. I already do an hour of hiking or combo run/hike a week but i need to add weights.

My secondary goal is to stay on track 6/7 days meaning within calorie budget.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Mary in San Diego
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone.

It’s hard to believe it’s September. I am sure most of us will be happy to put 2020 in our rearview mirror. When I sit back and think about all of the changes I have had to adjust to this year, I think wow. I can change and adapt while life throws me lemons! We should all be proud of ourselves of being able to adapt and make adaptations to our lives.

All of the pictures of the grands near the end of August really made me smile. It is crazy how quickly all of the littles are growing and showing their personalities.

Beth – Sorry to hear about your tooth!

Machka – Sorry to hear about your tooth too. Maybe it’s time to get a mouth guard after the next one is fixed. I know they can be expensive and hard to adjust to, but may save your teeth in the long run.

Pip – After seeing the ingredients I would eat Yogi’s treats! Love the neon bike rider, what a great gift and it’s great you found someone who could repair it.

Margaret – Big hug to you. It’s my thought many want to remember when a person was “well” because they have a hard time realizing just how fragile life can be. It’s a way of protecting themselves and I believe to most it’s an unconscious thing. It’s good you are setting boundaries and taking the time to grieve in your own way and own time.

Faye – People have disagreed with my orchid pictures. I think most “disagrees” are mistakes. The little spot on our phones is sooooo tiny!! 😊

Katla – So happy to hear you had a private BD call with your GS. Oh, just reading about the 5% alcohol infused ice cream…….

Karen – 100 years ago during my short time as a waitress we used to sprinkle a little salt when brewing the coffee to make it taste better than the awful coffee the owner would purchase. Salt would remove the bitterness and also allow for pots to sit a little longer on the burner. For my everyday coffee I have a plug-in percolator. I use the French Press on the weekend and also make my own cold brew coffee. I am certainly a coffee snob and drink single-sourced beans. I do enjoy coffees from around the world.

Allie – Sending strength to you and am hoping you find the will to do things that make Allie happy. Many of those things will be difficult but I will tell you it’s well worth it.

Annie – Hearing your story about the cell phone lesson is a reminder to me I must keep up with new technology. I cannot imagine what we will have in the next 10 years or so!

Mary – Hope you’re able to find your joy again.

Tina – I am glad you got a mountain retreat in. Sounds like a lovely weekend.

Yvonne – Oh, no, oak leaf mites?! I never heard of them and hope to never experience them!

Barbara – Praying for Joe and his eye and upcoming procedures.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :):):)

Wishing everyone a great September!

Carol in GA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    SuzieQ Good to know because how dare they disagree with your beautiful orchids photos on purpose!!! I forget many of you use phones. I use my laptop. I find the phone above my advanced years' skills level.

Carol Great September to you also.

Mary I had to read instructions again on how to bookmark. You have to go back to the thread listing, not while on the thread. For teeth grinding consider clinical hypnosis. It solved the problem for me 30 years ago. I wore that plastic bite guard for years and it is one of the reasons, I finally had to have all my teeth pulled. Those night guards are very unhealthy for the gums. Clinical hypnosis is the only way to stop it.

Margaret Writing and painting is such great therapy for us and if one thing we write or paint makes at least one other person happy, then I call it a win win.

Just thinking this morning as my 70th is two months away. Those of you that are 50 are like a child and those that are 90 are like a mother. Does this mean I am middle-aged?

Faye in North Mid OR feeling empowered!
    It is all downriver this morning, baby!
    Well, once I climb the hill upriver haha!
    l8ch8zr01354.png

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Barbara - just saw the info about Joe. Sure hope everything comes out right!

Elliptical - 79 minutes/491 cals

Just a quick question - has anyone ever used resistance bands, either loop or cable-type?

They would probably look something like these:
    jzo0j2bgkc1g.png

I had one loop-type when I was in PT after the knee replacement, but it's disappeared... I don't have the space to put them or the cash to buy a decent weight set, but these might do the trick. And you can work out your legs as well.

Thanks for any info you've got...

Lisa in AR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited September 2020
    Lanette - Most people say mine is the strongest coffee ever, so I'm not sure how yours turned out weak. :o You can make it any strength you like. We like it super strong and have an equal quantity of hot milk. I use Café Direct Intenso. I buy it in bulk from Amazon. We make two cups at once by moving the filter between two mugs. But you can easily make just one by using less coffee. We fill the mugs up with hot milk and put them in the microwave for about a minute. I find most people's coffee really bland compared with ours. Even my super coffee snob son says mine is great! I don't like a fancy acid coffee, I prefer the Italian espresso type.

I was going to go for a run this afternoon, but had problems with constipation and worry about toilets etc. So I stayed at home and watched Diagnosis Detectives (Michael Moseley) where they try to find solutions to someone's previously unsolved illness. I really enjoyed it as I love medical stuff. :D It accompanied my rowing and cycling for an hour. 380 bonus calories.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,930 Member
    Faye: We 70 year olds are the stroppy teenagers 🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Just a quick question - has anyone ever used resistance bands, either loop or cable-type?

They would probably look something like these:
    jzo0j2bgkc1g.png

I had one loop-type when I was in PT after the knee replacement, but it's disappeared... I don't have the space to put them or the cash to buy a decent weight set, but these might do the trick. And you can work out your legs as well.

Thanks for any info you've got...

Lisa in AR

I have the lightweight kind you purchase by metre and the power bands.

I have different resistances of the purchase by metre ... and my power bands are red, the least resistant.

https://health-and-leisure-hobart.myshopify.com/collections/resistance-bands

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited September 2020
    Lisa - You can buy the dumbbells in pairs. Not expensive. I only ever use 9 kgs with 2 kgs ones for side arm raises. Mine are in the bedroom cupboard on a small shelf. I did have some lighter ones, but soon outgrew them. You could start with 7 kgs.
    The bands are OK, but I only use them on the cruises. Only the most resistant one is any use. I threw the rest away. Not really a good substitute. I do weights every day. It takes less than 10 minutes, but I love the definition it gives my arms.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Thanks, Machka and Heather. Appreciate you chiming in.

Welcome to those who are new, we're glad you're here!

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Suziq113- I did try them, they weren’t that bad. I ordered dog cookie cutters, when they come in I will be trying other recipes.