Summer Hiking Series - Modjeska Peak

Options
So as many of you know all my international hiking trips cancelled sending me into Southern California hiking exile. This is a local peak that is right next to Saddleback Mountain which is the higher peak with all the antennas. Modjeska is named after a famous polish actress Helena Modjeska who lived in the area. The peak is 5496 feet but because I am almost at sea level the hike is 4750 of elevation gain. The Joplin Trail is a 13.5 mile out/back trail to the “summit”. I found the trail to be a combo of rocks/scree but had shaded parts through the forest with two creek crossings( not much water). I doubt I will ever do this in the summer again - really buggy in the forest parts. There are some cars that thought they could drive on the trail only to end up crashing down a ravine and left there. Had some views but cloud cover obscured view to the ocean. I have not hiked this area for 25 years so I was most surprised to see cars driving up the Harding Truck trail which leads to Saddleback summit. It was quite amazing to me to see a steady stream of trucks and suvs heading up that narrow dirt road.

Next up Mt Wilsonm8jv503h2cs6.jpeg
ky53wbaadkkf.jpeg
j68ik2ndu2v6.jpeg
02cv2ea21xl3.jpeg
klz5mf46v5hd.jpeg
f0g5vtrtngia.jpeg
3k1q9meva3m4.jpeg
nzksuuqezw2a.jpeg

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    lol I was really hoping there'd be an abandoned car picture. Thank you for coming through!

How long did this beautiful hike take?
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    lol I was really hoping there'd be an abandoned car picture. Thank you for coming through!

How long did this beautiful hike take?

Took me 4 hours to get to the summit but I did take a wrong turn at one point and was halfway up to Saddleback before I asked a cyclist who pointed me in the right direction. I took it slow on the way down where I took a lot of pictures so 3 hours down but I probably could have gotten down in 2 if I focused on it.
    I just couldn't believe someone would actually take a car up there! Must have been a lot of alcohol involved!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    A 7+ hour hike?! That's really impressive. Good on you @cheriej2042!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Next up Mt Wilson
    heh. :D I think I'm following you around. We'll be doing Mt. Wilson this weekend but I read somewhere that Chantry Flats is closed so I'll probably be doing it from the actual trailhead which we've never done before. Hopefully it won't be too hot.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Some incredible photos! But my god, 5k of vert is a lot!! My hat's off to you.

I'd love to know the history of the car!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    Next up Mt Wilson
    heh. :D I think I'm following you around. We'll be doing Mt. Wilson this weekend but I read somewhere that Chantry Flats is closed so I'll probably be doing it from the actual trailhead which we've never done before. Hopefully it won't be too hot.

I have not heard Chantry Flats is closed but that damn road up to it seems to have all sorts of issues every year.
  • Sprinlyn
    Sprinlyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ogm1kvqzaw23.jpeg

I love hiking! Do you guys have any hiking goals? I try to hike at least once a week 😊
  • swirlybee
    Options
    Sprinlyn wrote: »
    Do you guys have any hiking goals? I try to hike at least once a week 😊
    I'm trying to do 6 summits by the end of the year. Not sure it'll happen since I got a late start due to the pandemic and sheltering in place. Already did Cuyamaca and Baden-Powell. Next up is Mt. Wilson on Saturday, then Cucamonga, Baldy (San Antonio), and San Jacinto, maybe San Gorgonio. Gonna do Grand Canyon rim to river to rim next month.

• swirlybee
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    Next up Mt Wilson

I have not heard Chantry Flats is closed but that damn road up to it seems to have all sorts of issues every year.

Seems like Chantry Flats opens and closes randomly. I haven't gone in a couple weeks. It was closed when I went so we did Millard Falls instead. Heard that Chantry Flats was indeed open yesterday.