Anyone lost major weight just eating better (no exercise)?

I want to focus on one thing.

Eating better is easier for me because it's based on what is around, decisions, etc. - already getting a meal delivery service for dinner (EveryPlate) which drastically reduces how much I eat and increases the quality of foods and portions. No seconds or thirds since there is nothing left over after cooking. I don't eat breakfast - why eat if I am not hungry? It always slows me down brain and body wise if I eat in morning. I don't drink soda or sugary drinks, no coffee or creamer. Don't drink alcohol except rarely.

I start eating around 1pm - this is the hard part - not eating fast food. I don't want to bring things from home - that always causes me to fail. So trying to do a shake and snack bar at lunch.

Working out has always been something I start and quite because it takes actual physical effort and everytime I start I stress fracture my foot, or my plantar faciatis comes back, or my elbows get back.

I am 315lbs (6ft 3in) and it takes a toll on me when I start working out, walking, running, etc.

So - has anyone lost significant weight just eating better - no exercise?

Replies

• I have but only 20 lbs which I then gained back. I'm in a wheelchair from an accident so I can't do very much exercise. I fractured my arm in 3 places but I still do some yoga from the chair now that it's healed, I'm not walking that's a long story. I suppose if you are eating badly, fixing your habits could help but I already eat healthy and I'm still bouncing between 224-226 at 5'5".
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Plenty of people on here have lost weight without exercising. As ALZ14 says, exercise has other benefits but it's not necessary for weight loss.

If you haven't already, go to the set-up screen under Goals and enter your stats, select a sensible rate of weight loss and then eat the number of calories that MFP gives you. Log everything you consume, including cooking oils, butter on bread/toast, salad dressings, sauces etc. For everything you prepare at home, weigh every solid and measure every liquid for more accurate figures- don't trust what it says on the packaging.

Exercise would earn you more calories to eat, but you can focus on just eating the right number of calories to lose weight. Going slower and losing 1lb a week means you can eat more and are therefore more likely to succeed than if you select 2lb a week, struggle and then give up.

As you lose weight, after every 10lb (approx)you should go back in to the set-up and click Save so that MFP can recalculate your calorie needs. As you lose weight, you need fewer calories.

Different people find that different things help, but it's typically stated that eating more protein will help you feel fuller. Calculate what 0.8g of protein per 1lb of your body weight is, and see that as a minimum goal to eat each day.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Totally possible. I've done it, but was too aggressive in my goals eating too few of calories, and quite honestly I ended up not reaching goal because my plan was not sustainable over a long period of time. So like stated above have a plan that you can stick to, because it is really easy to regress. Remember it didn't take a day to put weight on, and it will take more than a day to take it off.

The one thing I have found as I reset goals, and started over is that as I continue to drop weight, I have found exercise to be easier and less stressful on my body. So you don't need exercise to lose weight, you may find that as you lose weight that you may want to.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    You don’t need any exercise to lose weight. Period.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I lost 100# before I even started to walk more. As others said:

Eating less calories than your body burns=weight loss

Eating the same amount of calories your body burns=maintaining weight

Eating more calories than your body burns=weight gain

It’s not necessary to exercise to lose weight but it’s very beneficial for overall health. Barring no medical issues that might
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    You don’t need any exercise to lose weight. Period.

This is the right answer!

Calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise for health benefits. If you exercise you can create an additional deficit, but the way MFP is designed you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back so its a net sum zero if you do it the way its designed anyway.

Eat less to lose. Exercise so you have some toned muscles to show after you drop all that weight! ;)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Yes, you can create a calorie deficit just through diet.

It sounds like your issue with exercise is overdoing it, though. You could try instead just walking a little more and increasing that gradually, and then add in more (if you want) after losing some weight.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I often think it must be easier to lose weight without exercise! I find it very hard to control my appetite on days I train hard. If diet is all you can change at the moment - it's a great start,and you can DEFINITELY lose weight through diet alone. Diet for weight loss, exercise for health and to look great naked ;)
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Yep, mostly. I have incorporated exercise into my life here and there, but never long enough to make it a habit, and I'm down 110 pounds so far. Realistically, diet has the most impact for losing weight.

Exercise is very good for health, but I know what it's like trying to add it to your life when you're over 300 pounds (I started somewhere over 340) and it's shockingly easy to hurt yourself at that size. Simple walking was my exercise of choice for a long time, and even that is easy to overdo with that much pressure on our poor feet.

Be kind to yourself, be patient, do what you can, and just focus on your food choices until you can add other things to your growing routine.