Recipe builder in basic plan?

ToriJTam
ToriJTam Posts: 4 Member
Is there a recipe that in the basic/free plan? If so, how do you enter the recipe for the calories in a single serving?

Replies

• ToriJTam
    ToriJTam Posts: 4 Member
    ToriJTam wrote: »
    Is there a recipe builder that is in the basic/free plan? If so, how do you enter the recipe for the calories in a single serving?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Yes, Recipe Builder is included in the free version of the program.

You can customize the number of servings per recipe. You enter your ingredients and then put int the number of servings that makes. You can then log single servings of that recipe (or more, if you want to eat more than one serving).
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    I use the recipe builder, and I've never paid for MFP.

The first thing to decide is what is your serving size? Personally I weigh everything, so this is what works for me:

I enter all the ingredients in the recipe builder. I weigh my final/cooked product to find out how much it weighs in grams. I then make my recipe serving size = 1 gram. What that means: if my potato soup entire recipe weighs 4500 grams, then I make the recipe= 4500 servings. That way, when I put food in my bowl/plate: I weigh it and log it. Such as I'm having 310 grams of soup for lunch today, so logged 310 grams of the recipe I made.

When I remake recipes, I edit the recipe as sometimes my ingredients and quantities vary a little. I've gotten in the habit of also editing the name of my recipe to include the cook date. I've started doing some batch cooking & freezing portions, so this helps me keep my logging accurate.

MFP computes the nutritional information for you.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member

The first thing to decide is what is your serving size? Personally I weigh everything, so this is what works for me:

I enter all the ingredients in the recipe builder. I weigh my final/cooked product to find out how much it weighs in grams. I then make my recipe serving size = 1 gram. What that means: if my potato soup entire recipe weighs 4500 grams, then I make the recipe= 4500 servings. That way, when I put food in my bowl/plate: I weigh it and log it. Such as I'm having 310 grams of soup for lunch today, so logged 310 grams of the recipe I made.

When I remake recipes, I edit the recipe as sometimes my ingredients and quantities vary a little. I've gotten in the habit of also editing the name of my recipe to include the cook date. I've started doing some batch cooking & freezing portions, so this helps me keep my logging accurate.

This is an amazing idea. The serving size is what I struggle with. It never occurred to me to set the serving size to 1 gram!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member

I do the same thing. Works great for casseroles and stews and dishes like that. Just weigh your daily portion and enter it.

When I meal prep, I weigh the portions and write the weight on some blue painter's tape on the container before I place them in the freezer. Then just grab them and go when I need to take lunch with me.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    On prepped food: I write the date, dish name, and weight in grams on the label.

Why I write the date: When I cook a dish, I edit my recipe as few recipes use identical ingredients when the dish is repeated. I also change the name of the recipe to include the date, so then when I log it can be accurate. Next time I make shrimp 'fried' rice in the rice cooker, for example, I intend to use more shrimp, a little more soy sauce to help flavor the extra shrimp, and 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil where I used none the last time. The final weight will thus be different, as will the calories per 1 g.

I portion some out in containers to be used over the next few days, and I freeze some. (For things that will freeze well, of course.) I have not used them yet - but I got labels that are supposed to dissolve in water, when the dish is washed in the sink or in the dishwasher. Thought that was neat.