BREAKFAST - what is the truth?

So over the years I have heard everyone chime in on whether you need to eat breakfast or it's better to skip it.

Intermittent fasters will say to skip it - that it helps get your body to start burning your fat rather than your breakfast.

Other people say it's the most important meal of the day - that it kickstarts your metabolism to start burning fat and takes your body out of starvation mode (storing fat just in case).

What is the truth?
I am not hungry in the mornings but want to be doing what is right.

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Do what works for you.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    edited September 2020
    There has to be some science to when and how fat stores burn fastest.

I doubt the science behind Intermittent Fasting and why you fast is total BS right? I've read it helps you burn fat instead of the food your eating.

And I don't really know which works for me - both of them I guess.

• AlannaWulf
    AlannaWulf Posts: 25 Member
    I overeat if I skip breakfast or have foods that don't keep me full. Due to this almost every morning I have two eggs and oatmeal. Keeps me full until lunch!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    The truth. Our mileage will always vary.

Somesayers say that if you don't eat breakfast it's indicative of a hormone imbalance. Others say there's no such thing as a need to eat within an hour of waking. If you've ever been to Greece, Italy or France, they don't eat a big breakfast. Just a few tiddlywinks here and there. Espresso and one piece of bread with butter.

If you've ever been to Ireland, Scotland or England, Wales...they eat a larger breakfast. Climate, longer winters, hard outdoor work all has something to do with it. If you're working in a coal mine loading 16 tons you'll eat more than someone who has a desk job.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Other than body composition, I heard that eating breakfast is good for blood sugar control, or something along those lines. I just know that I feel better when I have a good breakfast, i'm in a better mood, i'm more productive.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    You do you

For me breakfast is so important and keeps me from over eating. I eat breakcfst every day now. Some are bigger then others. Lunch is always light for me though because I like to eat at night.

CICO matters to me st the end of the day. I do keep in mind water or waste could factor in if I wrigh the next morning and have eaten dertain things
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    For me, intermittent fasting (16:8 so it's basically just skipping breakfast) makes it easier for me to stay within my calorie limit. No idea about any of the science behind IF, but I've adapted to it and I'm not hungry until noon so it works for me.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 331 Member
    After reading that a high protein breakfast helps some people stay full longer I tried it and stay full until dinner