Powerlifting or bodybuilding?!

which have you found to be the most effective for putting on mass? I guess we can through crossfit in there....I guess

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    jbboom23 wrote: »
    which have you found to be the most effective for putting on mass? I guess we can through crossfit in there....I guess

It's in the name.. bodybuilding. When powerlifting I get powerful. I feel stronger. However when focussing on hypertrophy I'm actually bigger.

If you want size. Get on a bodybuilding program and eat in a surplus
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited September 2020
    I never did powerlifting, I always did 6-12 reps for 3-4 sets.

I don't really think strength is correlated with size, I was once a pretty strong dude and there were guys much bigger than me at the gym who lifted lighter weights.

I just started lifted again and i'm questionning if it's worth it to lift really heavy.
  • jessef593
    Mellouk89 wrote: »

I don't really think strength is correlated with size, I was once a pretty strong dude and there were guys much bigger than me at the gym who lifted lighter weights.

I just started lifted again and i'm questionning if it's worth it to lift really heavy.

There is a correlation between muscle mass and strength but not so much strength and muscle mass.

More muscle has a greater potential for contractile force. However mass Is not needed for contractile force.

You will see greater development from targeted exercises and more volume. Opposed to large compound movements that utilize multiple leverages.
  • jessef593
    Disagreer state your reasoning or piss off. Look up my comment about how insignificant your pathetic life is since you literally have to follow me from post to post just to disagree without providing anything useful
  • Mellouk89
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Mellouk89 wrote: »

There is a correlation between muscle mass and strength but not so much strength and muscle mass.

Yeah that's a better way to put it. I see really big dudes in the gym who aren't so strong.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited September 2020
    Apples and oranges. Depends on you goals.

FWIW, most (if not all) competitive powelifters are FAT and ALL competitive bodybuilders are not.
  • jessef593
    sgt1372 wrote: »

FWIW, most (if not all) competitive powelifters are FAT and ALL competitive bodybuilders are not.

Take a look a stefi Cohen and say that again Haha.

I think you mean strongmen. Even they have acceptions
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

No maybe 50-60% of powerlifters have noticeable fat.

There is a reason why there is is weight classes. 47kg is near pencil thin.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »

Take a look a stefi Cohen and say that again Haha.

I think you mean strongmen. Even they have acceptions

Agreed. There is so many ripped powerlifters natural and geared its sick. If we are talking highest weight class I can can agree on fat.

One guy I plan to compete against in a couple months is Christopher Thacker. Dude in 7-8 years start taking every record I have. He is mega jacked.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    who do you think put on more mass:

lifter a) benches 225 for multiple sets of 10-15 and eats carefully weighed chicken breasts

lifter b) benches 350 for multiple sets of 10-15 and eats as much (or more) ground beef as possible in a sitting several times per day

in general high level bodybuilders in big weight classes are powerlifter strong and eat tons of food.

how much mass do you want to put on?
  • Mellouk89
    edited September 2020
    Larry Wheels is strong as hell and he's lean. Question is, would he be even stronger if he gained some fat?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me personally I run hypertrophy/bodybuilding style programs to put on mass.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2020
    There is no reason you can't run periods or programs with both. It has helped a lot of bodybuilders put on mass. I know Layne Norton discussed how it helped him add like 4" to his legs.In my own training and experience, big lifts have aided in increasing isolation and accessory lifts.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    I enjoy powerbuilding. I want to look strong but I also like to BE strong. Colin Whitney has a great program; look him up.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    I was never able to stay motivated on bodybuilder programs. However, once I learned the thrill of 1-rep max type goals in squat, deadlift, and bench I found this exciting and motivational. This also started to encourage me to learn how to eat better too because I soon started hitting walls with my 1RM goals and wanted to figure out how to lift more. In the bodybuilding world my goals were a little too uncertain and always seemed beyond reach.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited September 2020
    Still think it's apples vs oranges.

Comes down to the training goals wc are decidedly different

There are always exceptions but they are exceptions, despite what the self-professed "experts" and naysayers on MFP say to the contrary.

Personally, if I wanted to become a powerlifter, I'd put on as much wt as I could (BF% be d*mbed) combined w/powelifting training in hopes of rising to the highest levels in my age/wt class but that is NOT a goal of mine.

• gordonknox63foa
    gordonknox63foa Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2020
    As for me, I prefer bodybuilding for mass gaining. It does its work and has the best and fastest results. I've started off by just working out and running. Then I've met my friend that showed me the path to bodybuilding through powerlifting. When I started bodybuilding I was using steroids so it would give me a kick off into this world. After using SARMs I have felt better than ever, so if you wanna find out more about them and why you should use them check out the site attached. I mean, it is obvious that bodybuilding builds your body through mass growth :)
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    wiigelec wrote: »
    who do you think put on more mass:

lifter a) benches 225 for multiple sets of 10-15 and eats carefully weighed chicken breasts

lifter b) benches 350 for multiple sets of 10-15 and eats as much (or more) ground beef as possible in a sitting several times per day

in general high level bodybuilders in big weight classes are powerlifter strong and eat tons of food.

how much mass do you want to put on?

Think you may have missed out some vital supplements in that analogy

Also jay, dexter and others lifted ‘light’ weights and won multiple mr O’s