Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    I am not cooking tofu or brussels sprouts--think fish, chicken, small portions of red meat, vegetable side or a salad with oil and vinegar, fruit for dessert or snacks, a whole grain like polenta or rice, corn on the cob, or a baked potato and carrots. Unsweetened tea or water with lemon or lime, no soda (which they drink daily), and I do some baking (challah bread, banana bread, cookies but a small loaf or enough cookies for everyone to have 2 or possibly 3).
  • texnolan
    texnolan Posts: 20 Member
    Jill,

We usually buy them from Costco at $23 a case of 18. The wife and I like the peaches and cream flavor.
    We make smoothie shake with them.
    1 premier
    1 cup of frozen mixed berries
    1 scoop of Blue Bonnet Strawberry Protien
    1/2 cup of milk
    2 tbsp Chia Seeds
    Blender and we have a great smoothie.

jm216 wrote: »
    We were talking about protein earlier. My husband found these great protein shakes. No, I’m not getting paid for this. 🤑 I actually like the vanilla ones better.. but we’re out of those.

I use them at work when I start to get snacky a few hours after lunch. They’re filling and protein packed. Kroger stocks them, but they’re cheaper on Amazon.

This is what is working for me... along with low sodium V-8 juice...again...not getting 💰...just sharing successes. I drink my V-8 on my 45 minute commute home....which is a filling and veggie full drink.

Happy Friday!

Jill

• daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    I am not cooking tofu or brussels sprouts--think fish, chicken, small portions of red meat, vegetable side or a salad with oil and vinegar, fruit for dessert or snacks, a whole grain like polenta or rice, corn on the cob, or a baked potato and carrots. Unsweetened tea or water with lemon or lime, no soda (which they drink daily), and I do some baking (challah bread, banana bread, cookies but a small loaf or enough cookies for everyone to have 2 or possibly 3).

Sounds like a tough, and lonely, situation. Is it possible to ‘do you’ and still ‘do for them’ as well, or is that too much temptation? Same salad but oil and vinegar for you and their presumably heavier ranch or blue cheese dressing? Your baked potato but put out the sour cream and other toppings for their loaded spuds? Your small portion of meat and bigger cuts for them? It might be a surprise to find that you’re leading by example and they’ll begin to take in less and/or start to make some better choices on their own. Maybe? If that’s too much temptation, is it possible to prepare 1 meal a day that you can do okay with but that’s more their norm and let the other meals be separate if that’s the way it has to be for now?

Also brings to mind the trick used to get kids to eat their veggies. Sneak them into other dishes. You can put all the veggies you want on your plate and ‘sneak’ theirs into the casserole, pasta salad, broccoli and cheese on those bakes potatoes, etc. They fill their plate without realizing it’s a third or more healthy choices!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    OMG - I haven't signed in for 4 weeks! Here I go

Starting weight 6/17/20: 319
    Weight as of today: 286
    Total Weight Loss: 33

1st goal: 200 lbs.
    2nd goal: 175 lbs.
    3rd goal: 150 lbs.
    final goal: 135-140 lbs.

This weeks successes:
    -Friend asked me to bake her some anise pizelles that she could take to her parent who are in a nursing home. I only ate one that was counted and recorded in MFP daily food diary.
    -40 straight days logging into MFP

This weeks challenges:
    -Putting up with the doubters who think "oh another diet, she won't last long". Actually had someone say this out loud. That is why only 2 people and you my fellow friends are privy to my continued attempt to a healthy lifestyle.
    -Preparing to go on vacation at the end of September, and stay on course with my new healthy life style. I have been doing intermittent fasting for the past two months, and quite enjoy it.

Good luck this week to everyone. Stay healthy, safe and here's seeing less of you all!

So proud of you! Ignore those doubters ❤️
    Keep enjoying your journey!
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    It's here!
    It's Weights & Measures day.
    Time to see how the month has panned out, time to set new goals for the coming month...

First the bad news. I gained 1 lb this week, but seeing that this week included a little holiday time, I am not too disappointed by the result.
    Now for the monthly stats for August...

Weight
    Was 335.6 lbs is now 327 lbs.... A loss of 8.6 lbs this month

Measurements
    Neck was 48 cm, is now 49 cm
    Waist was 136 cm, is now 134 cm
    Chest was 138.5 cm, is now 136 cm
    BMI was 41.6, is now 40.6

So in conclusion;
    My goals for August were to
    Lose 7 lbs..................Success
    Elliptic, 20 miles........Failed
    Water, 3 pints a day...Failed (unless you count tea, then it is pretty close)

September Goals
    Lose 8 lbs
    Eliptic 20 miles
    BMI to be below 40

August was a great month for you... keep up the great work and great attitude!
  • jm216
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    Sunday reality check.

Last week: 202.8
    Today: 201.6
    1.2 lbs lost

I'm happy with the small loss but know I can do better. I walked more and was purposeful in getting in more activity in small bits when I thought of it. However, I let my food intake be swayed by what was readily available instead of making the effort to turn them into better, healthier plates. Good example: hubby grilled steak and served with pasta salad, which I ate in moderation and added sliced tomato and cukes to round out my meal. Bad example: hubby made pizza and served with chips, which I ate as my full meal (I could have had 1 slice and a salad with a few chips to satisfy the salty crunch craving). Still struggling with getting in the water.

Focus for this week: keep working on getting in DAILY walks, increase water intake, make those meal adjustments!

Take care all!

Donna

I’m proud of you, Donna! You’re so close to getting in the 100’s. You’re inspiring me to get there too!
  • jm216
    Skinny kid who got chunky as a self-conscious, exercise averse teenager. Lost the weight in the Army, gained some back after a miserable relationship fell apart, married my pleasantly plump husband and cooked and ate our way to obesity. Adding kids to the mix made my weight go even higher. I hit 203, developed high blood pressure, and my doctor put me on BP meds. Hated the way they made me feel. She told me I could get off BP meds if I started eating better and introduced me to the DASH diet. I never looked back. From 203 to my current weight of 152 pounds. Still working on getting to a normal BMI with 7 pounds to go. I may try to lose 5 or 6 pounds more because I have had back surgery and anything that reduces pressure on my back and knees is a good thing. Only problem is that my husband, who now lives with extreme morbid obesity, asthma, and reflux disease is not happy at all with my new lifestyle of healthy eating and daily exercise. He doesn't like my cooking, eats out almost daily, and says he must since I "no longer cook for him or our son" (who is also overweight). If anyone here has lived that reality and found a solution, please share your knowledge.

Congratulations on getting healthy! Here you can openly and enthusiastically celebrate your successes.

It’s tough when everyone else in your family isn’t on the same page. I’m sure that your husband loves you, but seeing your transformation may make him feel guilty about himself. Let him know that you love him unconditionally for who he is inside and outside, but that you want him to be around for as long as possible, and that’s why you’re cooking the way you are.... not as punishment.

I hope this helps you!

Jill
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 228.9 on 6/1/2020
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 180
    6/1– 228.9
    6/4– 227.9
    6/9– 226.7
    6/14-225.3
    6/22-225.0
    6/28-224.2
    7/2—223.3
    7/6—223.2
    7/13–221.6
    7/20–218.4
    7/26–217.7
    8/9—218.1
    8/16–216.4
    8/24–216.7
    8/30–216.2
    9/6—212.5

Total weight lost: 16.4 pounds lost since June 1st!

This week’s successes: Logging & walking my dog.

Happy Monday!
  • dew11252
    dew11252 Posts: 88 Member
    I need any success. I am a master at starting and no good at continuing.
    I don't have a good reason.

I'm retired four years now. Still about the same weight.

I need both knees replaced, but no pain on the elliptical.
    I have an elliptical at home, and Silver Sneakers gets me in free to YMCA, Concord physical therapy - both within 5 miles from home. Oh... I have a weight machine in the basement.

I don't log my food regularly.

I was on track early this year... lost 19 lbs. Gained every bit back since April.

Argh........
  • jm216
    dew11252 wrote: »
    I need any success. I am a master at starting and no good at continuing.
    I don't have a good reason.

I'm retired four years now. Still about the same weight.

I need both knees replaced, but no pain on the elliptical.
    I have an elliptical at home, and Silver Sneakers gets me in free to YMCA, Concord physical therapy - both within 5 miles from home. Oh... I have a weight machine in the basement.

I don't log my food regularly.

I was on track early this year... lost 19 lbs. Gained every bit back since April.

Argh........

You can do this! We’re here to support you. Start with just logging.

👍Jill
  • Mmoore2364
    Mmoore2364 Posts: 10 Member
    So late for Sunday check in! I was down 2 lbs! I also do measurements once a month and I was down a total of 1.75 inches across the 7 places I measure, so that was a nice non scale win 😊
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I started at 218lbs on March 17th. Just today hit under 180. Been awhile at that weight. And I'm 56.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jm216
    Mmoore2364 wrote: »
    So late for Sunday check in! I was down 2 lbs! I also do measurements once a month and I was down a total of 1.75 inches across the 7 places I measure, so that was a nice non scale win 😊

Way to go!!
  • jm216
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I started at 218lbs on March 17th. Just today hit under 180. Been awhile at that weight. And I'm 56.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Amazing! So proud!
  • dew11252
    @jm216
    Thanks for the support.
    I have a good outlook today and looking forward to a good day.
  • jm216
    dew11252 wrote: »
    @jm216
    Thanks for the support.
    I have a good outlook today and looking forward to a good day.

That’s why we’re here! ❤️
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Hi,

Got room for a 300+? I still cringe when I say that. I can't believe that I'm here. Seems like I was just at 230 and in what seems like an instant it's flying fast in the rear view mirror. So here I am, starting over - again. A week removed from my highest weight ever. I'll be 52 in 2 weeks and I know things will only get more difficult the older I get so I've got to get this weight off now.

Height: 5'10"
    Starting weight 9/1/20: 324
    Goal weight - under 200 (-125 lbs)
    Weight as of today 9/9/20: 319.8
    Total Weight Loss: 4.2 lbs
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Hi,

Got room for a 300+? I still cringe when I say that. I can't believe that I'm here. Seems like I was just at 230 and in what seems like an instant it's flying fast in the rear view mirror. So here I am, starting over - again. A week removed from my highest weight ever. I'll be 52 in 2 weeks and I know things will only get more difficult the older I get so I've got to get this weight off now.

ZhivagosGirl. I am a 300 lbs plus, 56 year old chap, feel free to friend and follow along with me.
    I try to keep the exercises going and try to keep within my calorie budget.
    Maybe we will be able to co inspire each other?....
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member

Hi,

Always room for another friend! Let’s do this!
  • dew11252
    I did it!
    I finished just under calorie goal.
    I cleaned house all morning.
    Babysat
    Did some exercise!

Good day🙂🙂🙂