Is it a priority?

I hate when I try to talk myself into the notion that I do not have time to work out. Granted, I am busy (60 hour work weeks), two kids and my schedule can be taxing at times.

When I hear someone say "I don't have time to..........", or "I'm too busy to...........", what they are really saying is "_______ is not a priority to me"..............fill in the blank.........working out, running, church, charity work, whatever............… NOBODY is that damn busy. It's an excuse we tell ourselves to feel better about our own mental weakness.

"Is it a priority?" is written on my mirror at home.............. it eliminates the games my mind plays on me when I try to justify my own laziness!!

Replies

• dew11252
    dew11252 Posts: 88 Member
    _Figgzie_ wrote: »
    I hate when I try to talk myself into the notion that I do not have time to work out. Granted, I am busy (60 hour work weeks), two kids and my schedule can be taxing at times.

When I hear someone say "I don't have time to..........", or "I'm too busy to...........", what they are really saying is "_______ is not a priority to me"..............fill in the blank.........working out, running, church, charity work, whatever............… NOBODY is that damn busy. It's an excuse we tell ourselves to feel better about our own mental weakness.

"Is it a priority?" is written on my mirror at home.............. it eliminates the games my mind plays on me when I try to justify my own laziness!!

OUCH..... you got me.
    Gonna get out of this recliner and get moving!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    So true! Because spending downtime w/ Hubs in the evening is a priority for me: I make use of personal time before work and at lunch time for fitness. Because I need that, also. It can take a bit of trial & error to figure out the right routine & combination.
  • johnbhusted
    johnbhusted Posts: 7 Member
    Agree. When I hear that I think "if you fell and broke your arm, you'd suddenly have TIME to get it fixed. . .so you've got time, it's just a problem with priorities."
  • dew11252
    dew11252 Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2020

I cannot get this phrase out of my head! My actions tell me my health is NOT a priority and that makes me discouraged and mad😡

My uncle once said.."what you want is determined by what you do".
    Do I really want to be a lazy recliner TBP --- twice baked potato?

Argh! I need an attitude adjustment.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    I think it is possible to "not have time" once in a while, but if you constantly "not have time" you either are stredged so thin that you have far bigger problems than finding time for exercise or you are not being honest with yourself.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    @_Figgzie_ Boom. Sitting on the couch at the speed of zero a poorly implemented lifestyle.

Sure, you don't have to exercise to lose weight but if you're able bodied why wouldn't you want to start on day 1 and keep going. It's going to be a really tough-go trying to make any of this stick without movement and momentum. Our mileage will always vary. The other benefit is building some muscle mass so your skin doesn't just hang there like a shar-pei dog. I talk to myself like you do.

• 28Haveitall2020
    28Haveitall2020 Posts: 229 Member

Nice way of putting it. Will ask myself that when the excuses come running in my mind🤣
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Some people's jobs are their cardio. My husband is an accountant, spends every working second sitting at a desk. I work with special needs children and I'm on my feet 80% of my working day. I run Marathons, literally, but even before that my jobs alone (always very physical) kept me very thin. I'm 5 foot 107 pounds (a couple heavier than I'd like to be) and my husband is 2 1/2 times my size in weight. Point is, if you're job is physical, you can maintain great muscle and leanness. Of course you can't eat like a horse and expect these results, though. But if you're stagnant on your *kitten* working all day, you probably would need to find time to move. Note: I workout for the mental benefits as well as the physical. I like chocolate cake.