55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    i'm 63. i restarted to some degree as summer began, not only to lose weight but to build strength and flexibility. i'm walking and exercise biking on a recumbent, and i find the bike much more of a challenge as sitting at a desk has made me very unflexible. but i'm happy to report my time is up from 15 to 45 minutes, so it's working, and i'm getting some cardio going with it. i'm 18 pounds down, i've lost an inch around my waist.

i love weight training, but i have some previous damage that i have to work around, especially with our home equipment, but with more isolation moves, it's working out okay. my lower back extensions have gone from 25 to 50 pounds so far (!), my chest moves have increased and my biceps are developing some size and definition :)
    Hello, I'm very happy to see a group for the more mature ladies. I'm 61and restarted my weight loss journey in July when I was 205lb. Two and a bit months on and I'm now 181lb. I joined a facebook group called Team RH. Is anyone else familiar with it?
    The biggest difference I have made is to get walking. I started on 5k steps a day and now manage 10k steps and more most days. The good weather has helped! I want to make space for a treadmill so I can keep going through the winter months. I don't mind the cold at all, but don't fancy long walks in the pouring rain.
    With dodgy knees I am a bit scared of doing things like a full body workout, so walking is the best option for me right now I feel. What do you all do to try and get fitter?

do you know what's wrong with your knees? when i finally had an osteo check mine out, all that was wrong that he reported was weakness. he says there's arthritis developing, but there's no impingement yet. hopefully your issue isn't serious...
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Hi, I am 66 and recently began tracking food and trying to exercise every day. I am on my way down but still a long country mile to go before I hit my ( should be) weight. Glad I flipped through the message boards and found this site, so very nice to know lots of us here, not just to loose weight but to live healthier lifestyle. So a big hello to everyone and I will come here for my inspiration to keep going.

I love that you're "Chasing the sun" on your profile! Perfect :)
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    sas202554 wrote: »
    I am starting with my fitness pal this week. I am 65 years old and weigh 315 pounds. I am 5’5”. My goal is to lose 50 pounds by my 66th birthday. It is so hood to see other people here my age. I want to be successful!!

You can do this! Great goal and there's lots of great support here!
  • smrshealthy
    smrshealthy Posts: 237 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    With dodgy knees I am a bit scared of doing things like a full body workout, so walking is the best option for me right now I feel. What do you all do to try and get fitter?

Walking is great, but if you want to explore other options, then I would recommend the low impact and beginners videos at Bodyfit by Amy which have been great for getting my dodgy knees moving and stronger. They are are definitely a bit less dodgy than they were. I started with her 10 min beginners cardio and 10 mins beginners abs and even though I mw now doing some of her longer / higher intensity ones, I still use these two a lot in between. Her low impacts legs workout is also really good, and gives you options you can use in other workouts if squats or lunges are a problem (that's on p. 2 from the link below). Amy has low impact versions for all her workouts and some great advice on how to work out even if your knees (or abs, or whatever) aren't in brilliant shape.

You can find them here: https://bodyfitbyamy.com/beginner-low-impact-workouts/

Usually I swim a lot which I also find helps my knees, but since the pool has been shut I have bought a rowing machine which is also great for my knees, provided I keep the pace moderate: it exercises my knees (and legs, arms and back) without having all my weight on them.

I am 56, by the way.

Thank you for the link @charmmeth!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    edited October 2020
    Joined MFP in 2012 after quitting Weight Watchers. Back then WW counted points, not calories. I wanted calorie info to build my knowledge so continued with MFP to lose 30 lbs. Didn't truly change my eating, was just losing weight to reach my goal. Was able to maintain for a few years and then the yo-yoing began.

Found Dr. Becky Fitness on line in March 2020 and with the pandemic and uncertainty (I realize it was another excuse) waited until end of June to begin the 21 day low carb challenge with my husband. We have continued since lowering our carbs (both DH and my A1C was climbing) works for us. DH is at 33-35 lbs down I am at 20.

Yes, weight loss is doable but it does take work - at least for us two foodies here. We enjoy making new recipes but this time our healthy journey feels better- healthier. We haven't just had a weight # in mind.

Glad to read and share stories with you all!
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Hi there. I'm 5'9" and 63 years old. I've lost 12 pounds, with 35 to go. The lockdown has forced me to admit, again, how much of my eating is NOT driven by hunger, but rather by habit, stress, social schedules, boredom, etc. I decided to use that to my advantage and eat exactly what I want these days. What's working so far is to cut carbs dramatically and cut alcohol altogether. I love exercising, and have continued with it. Exercising doesn't seem to affect my weight all that much, but is so valuable in other ways that I'm pretty conscientious about it.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Hi all,

All of you are so inspiring. I don't remember if I've posted here before (my kids say I could plan my own surprise party and they're probably right) but I went back a couple of pages and don't see anything, so.... I'm 62, been on the weight loss yo-yo for many years. First signed up with MFP a long time ago. Came back in 2013 or so. Lost some weight. Things happened. Left MFP. Gained it all back, plus some more. Lost some. Decided to come back and try this again because it helped. Surprisingly enough, I lost over 10 pounds in the couple of years between leaving and coming back (apparently I was on that downward swing on the yo-yo). And since I've been back I've lost 28 more. I have 20 pounds to go to get to my first goal. I'll reevaluate then, but right now I can see trying for 10-15 more after that. We'll see. I started eating low carb, cut way back on soda, and am trying to pick up exercising again. I mostly walk, but I do some "running," usually at a sloth's pace. Need to start doing some core and strength workouts.

Anyways, glad I found you!
  • urban287
    urban287 Posts: 50 Member
    I just redid my profile, lost all my friends...Let me know if you'd like some more friends...feel free to email me...on the age thing...i am 63 and have been trying to lose weight for seven years...Four or so years ago, I lost forty pounds, then "found" them again....hahahahaha...I haven't given up, though...I contacted a dietician and she gave me some ideas...Measure all of your food, drink eight glasses of water a day, weight only once a week...I have incorporated this into my new schedule, so hopefully, I will see some results..Good luck everyone!
  • truebluecanadian
    truebluecanadian Posts: 4 Member
    PianoRun wrote: »
    Looking for some inspiration. I lost my "chronic" 40 lbs of overweight with reasonable ease at age 45, and maintained for a couple of years. However, my motivation at this age is different, and is my ability to exercise with the same intensity has also decreased. Now, i don't want to hear all that stuff about how "age is just a number" -- There are many physical and emotional differences between women who have passed through menopause and those who are in their youth or who are pre-menopausal.... perhaps as many as between girls before menarche and teenagers who are growing into women. Anyway, I would be really interested in hearing from post-menopausal women who have lost significant weight and their experiences with that. Congratulations and high-fives to you all and your efforts!

I am in the exact same boat as you. At 56 I gained back the 40 lbs lost and cannot seem to lose it again. I did intermittent fasting for 6 mths and it fell off before. This time nothing no go. The weight will not budge. I now have chronic pain to contend with and, you are so right that things are very different past menopause. I am interested in hearing success stories and idea too.
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    edited November 2020
    didn't log all my food yesterday and the granddaughter came over with cupcakes after dinner that she made. I ate 3 (!!) of them after dinner and thought I had totally blown it. I logged the rest of my food for yesterday this morning, all of it cupcakes included, and was UNDER my total calories!! I had lots of veggies in middle of the day, which helped the food counts. My macros were skewed but I was ecstatic! BUT no more cupcakes (or just 1) going forward. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!