How do you deal with food FOMO (fear of missing out)?

Living with a family / other people and I get hella bad food FOMO when they have yummies.

How do you deal?

When they offer, how do you have the strength to say NO more than twice?

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    once in a while, i might say yes, depending on portion size, etc. but mostly i say no because my workouts always seem lesser on days after i eat much more than usual - i have no energy, and i can't move quite as much weight. or if it's a bike day, my ride is a slog.

since i generally love to work out, it makes it easier to say no.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Determination mostly (remember why you're doing this), and it gets easier to say "no, thank you". It gets easier for them to accept my answer, too, and they offer less often now. If we get to the point where they're putting me in a position to say "no" to the same food more than twice, they're risking a fight about them not respecting my wishes and boundaries. I'm well beyond putting up with food pushers.

Also, as far as just seeing their food around... it isn't my food. What kind of jerk would I be to eat food that isn't mine? That makes it easy when nothing is being specifically offered.

All that said, I DO eat treats or other food that isn't strictly on-plan, it just can't be every day. Like I'm eating low carb and primarily avoiding grains, especially wheat, but once a month or so I'll eat something like chicken strips & fried cauliflower. It's just that I do it on my schedule and make it fit my day, not someone else's.
  • strongernurse
    strongernurse Posts: 98 Member
    You can incorporate it in your macros. If you cannot stop at one and will binge, then do not have it no matter what. Because for me, it will end up in a 10,000 calories tailspin. There is no fear of missing out because you can have whatever you want, but choose not for today so you can achieve your results. I simply say no thank you, I have my own food. After awhile, they get the picture. It is pretty empowering to say no. Schedule a “cheat meal” one in a while (meal, not day) and this will help. Also, make your food tasty! No dry chicken! Make your food taste good with sugar free spices and sauces. There’s a lot of recipes on here. Search for threads like “volumetric” you have to see those recipes! Lol amazing
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    When I'm losing I like to have my own special treats to look forward to which makes it easy to say no to something that may not fit into my plan. It's usually chocolate, fruit or ice cream. Everyone knows if they touch my treat that they will probably lose a hand. 😝
  • tcatcarson2
    tcatcarson2 Posts: 8 Member
    Just think back to all the life changing, memorable things you've eaten before. There's probably not many!

If food is "special" it's usually because of the people, the venue or the event. In those circumstances gorging yourself doesn't really add to the joy, just eat something nice.

And if the food isn't special then don't sweat it! At my work I taste the home baking someone brings in, but avoid the packets of biscuits which I could buy any time.
  • I cook and I make yummy food we can all eat, for one.

Another is knowing that everything is best in the first few bites. So I don't need a huge portion, and I can fit a small portion of about anything into my calorie budget. I have ice cream a couple times a week, and cookies with my hot tea every evening.

I am also somewhat insulated from it because I have a fructose intolerance. All the sweet things that most people lust over, if I eat them in quantity, just give me a wicked hangover without the intoxication. I've had this since I was thirteen, and I don't find ladles of hot fudge and caramel sauce appealing any more.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Just think back to all the life changing, memorable things you've eaten before. There's probably not many!

If food is "special" it's usually because of the people, the venue or the event. In those circumstances gorging yourself doesn't really add to the joy, just eat something nice.

And if the food isn't special then don't sweat it! At my work I taste the home baking someone brings in, but avoid the packets of biscuits which I could buy any time.

Looking back is a good idea if you are able to really see things clearly. For a long time one of the lies I told myself was that it was remarkable food. When I ate it again I was forced to see the reality but then my disappointment would not lead to awareness. It would lead to this desperate attempt to fix it by eating other things I thought would make up for it.

This is why I like to remind myself that food is future poop. The only time you are guaranteed a longer lasting interesting experience with food is if it makes you sick.

With that said I am not one of those food must be only for sustenance people. I do enjoy the pleasure of food but now I understand not to place it on the same pedestal it was before.
  • valentina_5781
    valentina_5781 Posts: 6 Member
    I just think about how much I’m actually missing out on in life by being overweight.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 228 Member
    If I REALLY want something I will eat it- and log it. I try taking only a bite or 2 and sometimes just taking a taste for flavor and then disposing of it is enough for me.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    I don't have FOMO because I don't MO.

Denying my favorite treats makes me feel sad. Maybe I'm just immature that way, but I take a LOT of pleasure in chocolate, and to me, life is too short not to have it every single day. But it's a pre-logged, small amount, and I savor the heck out of it. If it's ice cream or coke I really want, I apply the same strategy: a mini sized coke that I drink over the course of an hour, not with a meal but as a special treat. A weighed or pre-portioned amount of ice cream (like a small ice cream bar). And I use the 'delay, don't deny' strategy (term coined by an author of IF books, Gin (? spacing on her last name).

My designated treat time is within an hour after dinner, no later. If I'm offered a treat earlier in the day, I either pass on it or save it for dessert. I've learned having sugar earlier in the day makes me crave sugar all day, but knowing I have a sweet treat to look forward to after a day of healthy eating keeps me on track.

That's what moderation looks like for me. Tinker away, and you'll find a strategy that works for you!
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,273 Member
    One practical trick I've found very helpful when it comes to food urges or whims is to tell myself I can have something, but later. Usually I'll tell myself I can have that thing tomorrow. And then usually when the next day rolls around, I'm over it. Other times the urge is much stronger, and I'll delay for 15 minute increments at a time. Sometimes it passes; sometimes I eventually give in and eat it. When that happens, I log it and move on.

There are a lot of other great tips here! Whatever strategies you use, it all gets easier with practice. The more often you say no, the easier it is to say it.

As for your roomies offering repeatedly, it kind of depends on the person or situation or if you are even talking about weight loss with them, but you could always just ask them not to offer you food.
  • fitby44
    fitby44 Posts: 276 Member
    Like some of the others, I think about what things I've missed out on because of my weight. For example, since I've lost some weight I no longer have foot pain like I did. So, I can go for long walks and dance and do things that hurt a lot before. Also, smaller clothes are nicer. And ultimately, and this is probably because I'm getting older and realize that if I don't do more to bring my weight down, my life will likely be shortened, I think, "Well, I can have that food sometimes, but only if it fits my plan. If I don't have it now because it will put me over in calories, I'll live longer and be able to eat more of it stretched out over my lifetime." This is how I deal with my love for chocolate coconut donuts. I'm sure that sounds cheesy, but it works for me. lol I've only ever admitted that to my boyfriend before. Early death because of my weight is the ultimate FOMO.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I ask myself one question. How much of your progress are you willing to give up?

I'm not willing. I've paid the price two times and I'm no longer willing to ever go through this again. I have drawn my line in the sand.
  • lorigoesvegan
    lorigoesvegan Posts: 28 Member
    I agree with what others have been saying...I think it's all about mindset. If you tell yourself that you CAN'T have something, you're going to want it more (it's human nature) but if you think about what eating that "yummy" thing will do for you, you can decide if it's worth it in the moment. A lot of times it won't be but sometimes it will be and when it is, I say, enjoy it and make your next eating decision a healthy one!