Regaining weight, struggling to motivate for round 2.

2»

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    hildegard7 wrote: »
    Hi, I lost 8# in 6wks and was off to a good start. ... Over the last 2 weeks I gained the weight back. I let my guard down ...

I really feel for you! This was me at Easter: down to 81kg, then I ate Easter eggs and went right back up up to 88kg. i am below 81kg now but I really wish I hadn't let it all come back. However, I did. The good news is it does come off again. Such hard work, all this weight loss: who knew?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    hildegard7 wrote: »
    Hi, I lost 8# in 6wks and was off to a good start. I had my labs checked after my 8# loss and all my numbers improved signifigantly. Over the last 2 weeks I gained the weight back. I let my guard down and stopped tracking on MFP and didnt exercise 5x/week as I had done over the 6 weeks of weight loss. I am so down. I am starting back at square 1 and tracking and exercising 5/week or more. The best thing is I know I can do it again. I just wish I wouldn"t have slid back into my old eating habits!
    Also I had stopped alcohol for those 6 wks and that really helped my weight loss... Thanks for listening!

not drinking alcohol was key to my first successful weight loss- not just because of the calories, but because it is easier to say "f it" and binge when I'm drunk.

I think losing 8 lbs in 6 weeks sounds like a rate that is actual fat loss. Gaining 8 lbs in 2 weeks sounds more like water weight. I'm trying a new thing of weighing myself every day to get used to the fluctuations and using programs that average your weight over 7 days to see patterns. I am hoping I can stop taking it so personally when the scale goes up a few lbs, and just stay true to my course.
  • Josephfunk
    Josephfunk Posts: 31 Member
    (ETA: i didn't realize i was posting in "Success Stories"... and now I can't figure out how to delete it. Sorry!)

I started MFP in 2010 at approx 182 lbs (I'm 5'4). In four months I got down to 155. A few more months, I was 145. A year later I was down to 123. I decided at that point to start lifting weight, and slowly gained back up to 135-145, which I consider to be my healthiest size. In November 2016, I let myself creep into the 150's, which then crept into the 160's. I was hospitalized in 2018 and got back into the 180's.... anyways.... Today, I'm floating around 165-170.

Here's what I am interested in talking with folks about.... I managed to lose 50 lbs and maintain a healthy weight (under 145) for at least six years, but obviously my food addiction issue has come back. I have for the last two years been saying "enough is enough!" and tracking calories and working out, and then obviously not doing it enough to really make a change. I just don't see why else I would still weigh this much- I know I have no medical excuse. I'm simply finding it harder to do this a second time around. I don't know if it's age, or if I am just less bothered by the weight or what. I am less bothered because I know I'm smaller at 170 now than I was before because I still exercise and lift. But I also know I can't fit into my old clothes- I feel a lot of fatigue, i feel less attractive than I did at 123, and I know it isn't as good for my health as it would be to be at a healthy weight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on how to overcome? FTR I'm 42 years old now. Maybe it's just age? HELP!

What kind of foods are you eating? When i start having problems with appetite i will lower carbs and sugar so as not to have that spike that falls fast and triggers hunger. If needed ill eat like that for some days more along the keto way of eating and it has benefits as a eating strategy to help you regain footing then switch back afterwards. Just one thought on the subject. Ive been losing for a little over a year right now and have a bit of trouble from time to time.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I’m in the same position, I’m in my early 50’s and 18 years ago lost 6st but it (and more) crept back on after 2 redundancies, a divorce and a sedentary job. 3 years ago I decided to do something about it, started on here and lost 5st but then COVID hit and working from home made me more sedentary than ever before. I also started drinking loads more and then binging and I’ve put 2st back on. I’m so ashamed and cross with myself, I thought I’d beaten the food addiction but obviously not.
    I restarted (again) this week and so far have done an exercise class, a session on my new cross trainer and logged most of my food. I’ve bought into the plan and feel mentally ready to tackle this for the 3rd time, hopefully this will be the last.
  • charmmeth
    I have come to the conclusion that I need to think of this journey as an on-going commitment to eating healthily, exercising regularly, and thereby staying at a healthy weight.
  • judefit1
    judefit1 Posts: 395 Member
    Love this thread...My personal mantra is "Back Again".
    Basically, I've been on a diet since I was 11. Thin mother, chunky child. I'm able to stabilize for a while, then I say, oh, I've got this under control- I can eat what I want. Ha. Right now it's the "Covid-15" (yes, I was one of those yeast hoarders). It was fun while it lasted...now my pants don't fit. I can do it, but the key is not to get to within 5 lbs of my goal and say, YAY- hand me the bag of chips...
  • charmmeth
    judefit1 wrote: »
    Love this thread...My personal mantra is "Back Again". ... I can do it, but the key is not to get to within 5 lbs of my goal and say, YAY- hand me the bag of chips...

Exactly: so well said!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    I can't remember the last time I logged in. It was ages ago... since then, I have fluctuated up, then up, then down, then up again - until I hit 9st.10lbs.... way, way heavier than I have ever been!
    I decided to Fast, and since the end of May, I have lost 1st 10lbs... yup. Back down to 8 stone again. I'm happy. It works. It's a lifetime commitment, but I am gloriously happy about that; it's a lifestyle change, and a new attitude to food. That, coupled with LCHP/F, is a winning formula for me! Once I reach target weight, 7 or so lbs to go!) I shall be Fasting for 'maintenance' only... so I will be able to vary my intake now and then, and not have to overly worry. As with any eating regimen involving discipline, it should be an invigorating challenge, not a fearsome ordeal... it fits with me; I don't modify my life to fit with IT.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Can’t edit - got one of group names wrong...

0xxjb6jludhe.png

But here’s a photo with the names of the two groups that are awesome, in case you want to search in Groups & check them out!

• Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    I am on round 2 also. Added you. 🤗 I hope you will accept.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Mid-50's here and wanted to chime in. 10 yrs ago, cut carbs, started daily exercise, which I have kept up, lost 30 lbs. Hit my goal for one weigh in here on MFP. Have spent the last years regaining, losing 5-8 lbs, yo-yoing. Found Dr. Becky Fitness info online in Feb. Signed up and then Covid. Another excuse! My husband and I finally started the program in June. Something finally clicked for both of us. He has lost 32 lbs, has less back pain and less snoring. I've lost 20 lbs and set my end goal for another 5.

I've gotten back into logging all my food here, even the "adult beverages". We're all different and there isn't just one answer but MFP is a great gathering spot for info and discussion.

• CorvusCorax77
    I am on round 2 also. Added you. 🤗 I hope you will accept.

Of course!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Don't let age hold you back. I'm older than you (late 40's) and haven't had any age-related challenges to maintaining my weight...so far. I've been at maintenance for about a decade, since my 30's, so I'm well-practiced. I'm actually loving my 40's. I'm experiencing some peri-menopausal symptoms, but weight gain hasn't been one of them, probably because I'm fairly accurate with my logging after all these years. As long as I stick to my calorie goals, and maintain my fitness, it just keeps working exactly like always. But it does take long-term (permanent) perseverance. Good thing I'm a creature of habit - that makes this easy. But...I'm fairly certain that if I didn't pay attention, I would have gained by now!

Age may make it harder for some people, partly due to hormone changes that may impact appetite, etc., and partly due to loss of muscle mass (which leads to metabolism changes) over time if you aren't actively working to build or maintain it, but not impossible. You might have to work harder than your 30-something self. That sucks, but we gotta do what we gotta do. I haven't gotten to the point that I'm working harder yet, but that time may or may not come when I hit my 50's. I guess it depends on the person?

I suspect your PCOS is what's causing you the most problems. That's not impossible to overcome, but it's definitely an extra challenge that needs to be acknowledged. It's not fair, but you might have to work harder than others to get the same results. But don't give up. You can do this. You're already a proven success story - go get it again! <3

P.S. This too: "...but there's also looking in the mirror and seeing a chubby me as beautiful..." Perfection is overrated. There's an excellent chance that "chubby" you IS beautiful, and you're just being way too hard on yourself. Let's just strive for the happiest, healthiest version of ourselves! :D
  • CorvusCorax77
    edited November 2020
    jenilla1 wrote: »

P.S. This too: "...but there's also looking in the mirror and seeing a chubby me as beautiful..." Perfection is overrated. There's an excellent chance that "chubby" you IS beautiful, and you're just being way too hard on yourself. Let's just strive for the happiest, healthiest version of ourselves! :D

Thank you for your response. I do actually feel beautiful at my current size. Just a little extra padding in the middle area :blush:

It's been a while since I started this thread and there was a development... It turned out I had constant sinus infections, which I interpreted as "fatigue" and "migraines." They didn't respond to antibiotics at all, and when COVID hit, I started to make my doctors test me because the sinus infections also caused low grade fevers (which I didn't notice before COVID because I interpreted it, again, as "fatigue" or "migraines" but when COVID hit, I became aware my temp was going up). Anyway, harassing my doctors about it finally led to some answers. So I finally had surgery to address that about a month ago and I can already tell my energy is better!

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Thank you for your response. I do actually feel beautiful at my current size. Just a little extra padding in the middle area :blush:

It's been a while since I started this thread and there was a development... It turned out I had constant sinus infections, which I interpreted as "fatigue" and "migraines." They didn't respond to antibiotics at all, and when COVID hit, I started to make my doctors test me because the sinus infections also caused low grade fevers (which I didn't notice before COVID because I interpreted it, again, as "fatigue" or "migraines" but when COVID hit, I became aware my temp was going up). Anyway, harassing my doctors about it finally led to some answers. So I finally had surgery to address that about a month ago and I can already tell my energy is better!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!