Adding exercise to diet

kindly help with suggestions..which form of indoor exercise can I add.I have had surgery on my knee and I had a fracture on one of my arm bones so I'm struggling to add exercise that'll work for me and be safe.I easily feel pain when carrying heavy stuff with my arm though the injuries happened 2014 and my knee always fails me when i try squats.I tried walking and a little jogging before but I work in an area that is full of snakes so i stopped after coming across snakes everyday for 3 days in a row.help.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Have you worked with a physical therapist, or asked your doctor for advice?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Perhaps try Leslie Sansone (look online or Youtube) indoor walking videos.

My gut feeling is if it hurts: don't do it. But perhaps reach out to your doctor, physical therapist to find out safe exercises, stretches based on your scenario.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I would agree with those suggesting physiotherapy.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Sometimes injury sites are sensitive long after they have healed. If you are cleared medically to exercise, then maybe it's time to increase load on those limbs extremely gradually. A physiotherapist is the right person to help with that. Beyond that, you could try a stationary bike, if you want to add cardio.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I guess it depends on what kinds of exercises you are looking at? If weight training, maybe things that wont put a load on your injured limbs? So instead of squats maybe do seated leg raises? Can you do body weight exercises to start?

If cardio, maybe instead of running use a bike? Either an indoor or outdoor one? Snakes don't usually bite bikes. Or if you can get an indoor exercise bike hopefully there are NO snakes!

But agree with above, if it hurts stay away from that movement. It's like the old joke:

PATIENT: "Doc, it hurts when I go like this with my arm!"

DOCTOR: "Then stop going like that with your arm."
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Yoga can be done at a variety of levels - everyone has their own "practice". However, given you history of injury you definitely want some medical guidance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    In your situation, I'd ask my doctor for a referral to a physical therapist. I have knee and elbow issues, and physical therapy has been very valuable.

In additional to giving me exercises to strengthen my problem areas and advising me on what other exercises to do and not do, they have also started cold laser therapy, which was extremely helpful.

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-laser-therapy
  • IamMuffles
    IamMuffles Posts: 6 Member
    I have chronic sciatica pain (just getting over a 2month stint of complete painful helplessness!) and knee joints that scream with every step due to almost 50 years of just way too much weight/abuse.....I have an Air Walker (aka Gazelle). I set up my Netflix or whatever for an hour of something interesting, and "walk" while watching - I barely even notice how long I've been on it, but definitely have caught a sweat/breathlessness, so I know it's doing something. Very easy on my back and knees and I definitely see/feel a difference overall. Just a suggestion! Good Luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Perhaps try Leslie Sansone (look online or Youtube) indoor walking videos.

My gut feeling is if it hurts: don't do it. But perhaps reach out to your doctor, physical therapist to find out safe exercises, stretches based on your scenario.

This^

Indoor walking is low impact aerobics without choreography. This means you can do the moves at your own pace despite what the leader is doing. Make the moves as slow or "small" as you need to until you are able to build up.

Wear supportive shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Most areas have snakes of some sort. Are the snakes poisonous in your are? If not, I wouldn’t worry about it overly. I have copper heads and rattle snakes here, but I try to avoid the sunny areas where they are more likely to hang out. If I encounter them, I just give them a nice WIDE arc so they don’t bother me and I don’t bother them. 😜
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I'm unsure why the snakes are stopping you from walking? I live in Australia where we have 11 of the world's 10 deadliest snakes, and certainly have seen them, but they have never bothered me and I have never bothered them. I wouldn't go running through tall grasses while barefoot or anything, but most roads/paths/walking trails are clear enough of snakes that it's a total non-issue. Generally you only hear about snake bites when some idiot finds one on their way home from a pub and decides to stick it in a bag, or swing it around their head or something.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Look on youtube for seated exercises! I have seen quite a few. I know hasfit on youtube has some💪
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    It is swimming with snakes that can be a problem because water moccasins are aggressive. Most snakes only bite if they are hunting or startled/scared. If you encounter them a lot bring a walking stick for the ones that need a little encouragement to move along. Some of them will try and stay put and you really do not want to step over them. A gentle tap from a safe distance does the trick. I have encouraged them to a better spot for all parties in my yard with a broom. I do not mind them visiting just not too close to the house.

If you hike and there is something in your path like a log do not blindly step over it.

I would much rather come across a snake than a skunk (I often walk well before sunrise). Snakes don't really want to bite you and will flee. Skunks turn around to aim their tail at you as soon as they see you. I have tried to get them to move along when too close. It is not easy.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    ^^ And this is why I love walking in the city! :D
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    It is swimming with snakes that can be a problem because water moccasins are aggressive. Most snakes only bite if they are hunting or startled/scared. If you encounter them a lot bring a walking stick for the ones that need a little encouragement to move along. Some of them will try and stay put and you really do not want to step over them. A gentle tap from a safe distance does the trick. I have encouraged them to a better spot for all parties in my yard with a broom. I do not mind them visiting just not too close to the house.

If you hike and there is something in your path like a log do not blindly step over it.

I would much rather come across a snake than a skunk (I often walk well before sunrise). Snakes don't really want to bite you and will flee. Skunks turn around to aim their tail at you as soon as they see you. I have tried to get them to move along when too close. It is not easy.

I have a ton of wildlife where I live and have never had any issues with skunks...

I would despise walking in the city lol. Weekends are my favorite as then I can go hiking instead of walking locally and I can get out into nature and away from crowds!
  • pgwebu2
    pgwebu2 Posts: 9 Member
    harper16 wrote: »
    Have you worked with a physical therapist, or asked your doctor for advice?

No, I haven't consulted a physical therapist recently.I last did some physical therapy during the healing process. I will definitely consult my doctor.
  • pgwebu2
    pgwebu2 Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you so much for the suggestions.I will definitely go see a physical therapist and also check YouTube pages and try to find indoor training equipment as suggested. To answer the question on why snakes are a problem,I am terrified of snakes,I can't even look at a dead snake or watch them on TV so yah,nothing I can do to change that unfortunately lol.Thanks again